Crackpots mingle-mangle - Page 5
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Crackpots mingle-mangle

Hi Crackpot! It took me a bit to remember you (sorry - I'm just getting old) but I visited your website and remembered. I used to drop by and stare for hours at all the pretties in the galleries. hehe

This one of course is looking fantastic! Can't wait to see the completed pics.

Hey guys,
    the pictures are ready, you can have a look in this thread:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...rom-Hasslefree
    Votes would be very nice too.

gave you both
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

That there is a 10. Nice work, it was fun to watch it all come together.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    That there is a 10. Nice work, it was fun to watch it all come together.
    Took the words right out of my mouth.

Moe
    "I was too distracted by the ladies to be scared of your bear. That is the second weirdest sentence I have ever typed on this site o_O"- Zab

"Paint flavored coffee is the bestest!"-me

Brush Brother Moetle

Take a peek you might learn something or teach me something :-)

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...tic-Wonderland

Voted. Lovely work and very inspiring (plus informative) WIP.

Hey there,
    I think it's time to reacitvate this little thread. I am currently working on a new small diorama and want to update my steps throughout this project.
    The working title will be "The Bookworm", but maybe I find something better along the way.

The main goal is to create a small, cosy, round chamber. For this I started as usual with a base board out of stewalin (cast was created with plasticard). On this base board I carved a wooden floor texture, wich is hard to see in this pictures. You will see it better once the first paint is involved.
    The next step was to build the back wall. Usually I would have used stewalin as well for the wall, but this time I wanted a curved wall and this is rather difficult to achieve with a cast. I could have build a tall curved cast but this would have been kind of tricky, so I decided to take another approach this time.
    This time I will build the back wall out of plasticard and modell the texture on it.
    For this step I pinned and glued the plasticard wall to the base board and secured it with rubber band.

Next I bend two metal rods and glued it to the backside of the plasticard to get an evenly curved wall. Otherwise the plasticard tend to straighten at the top.

The wall would look very thin if I would just add the texture to the plasticard, so I had to thicken see wall. For this I just glued some spacers and another plastcard wall to the first one. Now I have a massiv wall and I can begin adding texture to it.

The textures will be applied in different layers to get a rough surface. The first part of the first layer is applied using milliput.

Stay tuned for the next updates. Hope you like it so far...

gorgeous. And I'm watching closely, since I am attempting my own wall right now.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Feels kind of middle eastern...or middle ages. Either way, neat!
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Blog Entries

Man, you can really build the coolest stuff. I'm really looking forward to more steps.

yay! i always wanted to do something like a cozy room diorama, i´m certain you´re the one to give some nice inspiration=)

very nice, mr diorama king! i guess you plot a cunning plan pretty exact before you start the work? i feel i tend to improvise a bit too much for doing anything this good... lol

@SkelettetS
    Well I do some rough sketches before I start building. Mostly to get the skale right. But I also improvise a lot. Many ideas come along the way. But you have to have some plan for the main components like the layout, the walls and the floor.

So, I finished the textures on the back wall yesterday but I have to fill and sand the edges some more.
    First I finished the base layer and let it dry, then I added some more milliput to some stones to get a random three-dimensional look. Last thing was the brickwork around the window. Ah and I removed one of the wood beams. Hope you like it so far.

You make it look so easy and obvious that I go hey why didn't I do that before.......oh yeah don't have the skill or experience that's why!
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Looking goooooooooooood.
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    You make it look so easy and obvious that I go hey why didn't I do that before.......oh yeah don't have the skill or experience that's why!
    Yeah, I am really starting to appreciate the part of the project where it shifts from a pile of plasticard and green stuff (or blotchy half painted lead ball) to something that sparks my imagination. neat!

The way you added the 3D texture to the stones was very effective. Neat.

Just discovered this amazing thread, looking forward for more of your work!

Thanks guys!
    @AndyG: Oh come on, it's not that hard to do. Just give it a try. All you need is some milliput (or similar modelling putty) and some modelling tools. I personally prefer dentist tools.
    1. step: Prepare your modelling putty (most puttys are 2-component puttys)
    2. step: Roll out the modelling putty to get a thin layer. To prevent the putty from sticking to your table or your roll, dust it with talcum powder (you should get this quite cheap at your local pharmacy).
    3. step: Moisten one side of the layer and stick it with this side on your plasticard. Now press it evenly on the layer so it stays in place.
    4. step: Create a rough texture with your modelling tools. You can also create textures with a craggy stone or with a toothbrush or with sanding paper...
    5. step: Create your stone texture with a sharp modelling tool. Just model a random pattern, you don't have to be too accurate, we are building a medieval stone wall, so the stones can be a bit imprecise.

Yesterday I prepared most of the furniture (desk, small table, books, books, books, carpet and so on) and began to prime it. New pics will follow. Stay tuned.