Crackpots mingle-mangle - Page 4
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Crackpots mingle-mangle

What are you guys using for water? I know of the stuff like elmers glue, and the stuff that you have to melt. I can't imagine you're using either of those though, are you?
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

I use this, great stuff (but I have not used anything else!)

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  13.4 KB
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

I use 2-component water from NOCH. It is resin based. But I am not really experienced with it yet. We will see how the base will turn out. Wish me luck.

cant wait to see you destroy the whole scene with leakíng resin not setting and filled with a zillion air bubbles ho ho ho
    seriosly cool. ill try another underwater scene someday but then i have to but something like this resin based. ive been using a kind of 2 comp plastic stuff, which although workt very well, smells worse than ten chemical factories combined.

i do agree with you about gamesday, although ill probably go as i got some stuff to enter already, otherwise i wouldnt bother. the excitement that ive been feeling about the event has gone down the drain a bit.

So yesterday it was the day for the water effect...

1. Cut appropriate sheets of plastic card for the water-effect casing. Put them into place with some sticky tape:

2. I coated the sides of the base with some watered down PVA glue, to later prevent the resin from flowing down the base. A tiny gap is enough, that the resin will flow between plastic sheet casing and base.
    Now put the plastic cards into place and fix everything with more sticky tape and a tight rubber band:

3. I use 2-component water effect from NOCH. This comes as a small bottle of resin and a small bottle of hardener. The instructions says I should mix them 1:1, but in my experience with the NOCH water effect, this is not a good measure. If you mix it 1:1 you end with a rather rubber-like mass. Better take a 1:2 of resin : hardener mix. With this measure you end up with a much harder mass.
    The resin and the hardener are quite semifluid and difficult to mix without getting too much bubbles in it. So I heat both substances in a little hat-water-bath:

4. After the bath, both fluids are much more liquid. I then pur the hardener in the resin and start to mix them. But try to stir rather slowly, to avoid getting too many bubbles in your water effect.

5. After this I added two drops of green paint to get a more natural look of the water. Again stir it very thoroughly but very slow.

6. You should then end with a homogeneous water effect, ready to get poured on your base.

I poured the water effect on my base and now let it rest till tomorrow and then remove the casing. I hope the water effect stayed where it should.
    The finished pics of the base will be shown with the overall finished project, so I have to leave you with a little cliffhanger...

I'm glad I asked now - I didn't even know there was a two part resin for water. Now I just need to find some. Then my next 10 minis or so will be swimming haha...
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Blog Entries

Excellent SBS sir. I am excited to see the base with the form off

Trystan. Run down to Michael's or hobby lobby and get you some of this stuff http://www.dickblick.com/products/ca...casting-resin/ Buy this plus the little bottle of hardener and you will be creating water bases like a pro. only a few drops of hardener are needed and it is sold seperatley. Like crackpot says though, the smallest gap in your dam and the resin runs right out. Just ask 10 ball.

Yes, water effect resin and I don't get along together very well. But we are going to counseling and are trying for a new start together
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

I just had a workshop about water effects last weekend. It was run by The Artfist (Crackpot, I think, you know him). He had an interesting approach to the problem with little holes. Use some sticky tape to wrap around the base, make sure, it adheres at every place. Then cut the sticky tape down to the top border of the base (lower border for the water). After that, superglue the plasticard to the tape (thereby filling gaps with superglue). Tape around everything. Apply the water. Now the whole border is either in contact with the water or the non sticky side of the tape. When everything is hardened, you can rip the tape from the base, because it's applied to the base with it's sticky side -> voila, finished.

I suffer from the cool/new/shiny problem too. I felt that way when I first tried Tamiya Clear Red. I wanted to put blood on everything - EVERYTHING! Seeing this now I want to do a ton of water FX everywhere ~sigh~ Oh hold, on there's something shiny outside [wanders away from keyboard]...
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Any news!??
    I NEED AN UPDATE!!

FEED ME!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "
    . Andyg

Do forgive him for his gauche aproach he cant help it he's from the midlands they're all a bit special there ......................runs for cover giggling lol.
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

*cough*cough*cough*cough*cough*593*cough*cough*cou gh*
    "
    . Andyg

Would love to see the result on that base....

Are we cooked yet? Pls share finished piccies!

Cheers
    Will
    Join me as I try to place as a finalist at Golden Demon http://willsinnerdemon.wordpress.com/

i am also wxcited about this=) really neat piece

Sorry for the delay guys, it's a bit stressful at the moment. But the miniature is finished and pictures will soon show up!

Or maybe your having trouble getting your resin to stay hard like 10 ball o_O *ducks for cover*
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Nope, hard like a rock. But it did not stay exactly how I planed, so I had to correct it a bit.

When resin goes bad !!

Name:  3289784072_34bcba5de9_z.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  116.8 KB
    "
    . Andyg