Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Crackpots mingle-mangle

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    I...you...holy crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    I...uh...yeah.
    In the only Polish I know... "Kubre Mache"

And that's probably incorrectly spelt.
    Last edited by Dragonsreach; 11-24-2013 at 03:53 AM.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Blog Entries

That's so cool. not only the size but it's actually an interesting painting. Incredible!
    Last edited by Demihuman; 11-26-2013 at 02:05 AM.

Thanks guys!
    Yesterday I finished the second picture and the picture frames. Next step will be the rest of Jolie and then the rest of the base. Ouch, there is so much more to do.... :/

sweeeeeeet!
    ...keep talking
    Forever remains

Instagram

Skel says it all, nothing to add.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkelettetS View Post
    sweeeeeeet!
    work is boring when it gets in the way of my painting.

Yesterday I nearly finished the wall and the floor. The picture is a bit blurry, but you get the big picture.
    I tried to use some slightly different colors for the stones, so it's a bit more natural and not too boring. I think the next step will be to finish the miniature.

Best regards

Jürgen

.... Nice very nice...

excellent.... well, not much to add really. very curious about what minis you are planning here. no space marines i suppose? lol
    ...keep talking
    Forever remains

Instagram

Very nice crackpot and your stone variation is realistic. I have been seeing a lot of dungeon paintjobs now that Dwarven Forge has delivered their Kickstarter dungeon tiles. The reoccurring/official paint job has the bulk of the stones a gray with a few light brown which looks neat, but fails the realistic test...it is nice to see your variation that you can believe came from the same quarry.

P.s. great thread.

edit: tread / threat.....almost the same word.

Thanks a lot. Glad the wall/stones look convincing. Sometimes it's difficult to copy a natural look.

There are some problems with finished base/boardgame elements in my opinion.
    First, they are often much to big and bulky for a 30mm scale. They often lack details so the elements are easier to cast.
    Second, many elements are too "uniform", they repeat a lot and often look quite clean and boring.
    And the last problem is the painting. Most of the time it is just one base color and than some bright drybrushing. Thats just not enough for a good effect, you have to spend some time to get a nice look. Get some highlights in the right places (NOT by drybrushing, it's too impecise), give it some different washes here and there with different colors (different gray, brown, green, red and blues) and last but not least enough shades.

Very impressive, Im going to give this a go.
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Hey there, I finished a small rug for the floor.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crackpot View Post
    Hey there, I finished a small rug for the floor.

Well that's nice. I have been wanting to put a mini on a rug and never thought of doing a cut-away like that. You show some of the floor and some of the rug and everyone get's it, very smart! Thanks for the inspiration! I guess the dots were easy after the Dutch Masters.

Yep, the dotted pattern on the carpet was quite easy, just a bit boring, esp. the bigger patterns.

That rug looks fantastic! The paintings look great too - looking forward to seeing what else is going to go on the base
    My Rank -

Hey guys,
    the project is ready to go and the finished pictures can be found here:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...olie-amp-Monti

Thanks again for all your comments! Helped me stay motivated throughout this diorama.

Wonderful work as always. some day I will godown the road to create som freehand stuff. until then I have the enjoyment to watch other peoples work. Thanks for inspiration.

Hey guys,

new project on its way and I wanted to show you my first steps. It will be bigger than I originally planned but it seems I am more crazy than I thought. oO

So the idea behind this diorama is a fight between 3 adventureres (an elf archer, a barbarian and a mage) agains a necromancer and some of his summoned skeletons. The setting is an old unholy shrine/ruine in the woods. In front of the shrine I want to place some additional bones and skulls as if there was a big battle/slaughter and this should be the source of the summoned skeletons.

I started as usual with the main protagonists. The adventureres und the necromancer are from Redbox, I really love these miniatures but sadly it's quite hard to get them here in germany, so I always have to order directly from the US. :/ Quite expensive and the shipping takes some days/weeks. But *sigh* the things I do for good miniatures.

Next part was to find some appropriate skeletons. First I tried the Games Workshop skeletons but they are a bit too big for the Redbox minis. So I went with the skeletons from Mantis Games. But sadly they have some rather freaky skulls. So I combined the Mantis Games bodys with the skulls from GW. They fit quite well and the size difference is not really recognizable. I will also use some skeleton bodys from GW for the lying or the climbing skeleton. As long as they don't stand upright the size difference is not relevant.

Then I began to draw some setup for the base and tried to place the miniatures on the blueprints. After several attempts I was happy with the setting and began searching for a fitting plinth. I found a rather unique one (3. picture) and began to build the base structure with cork boards.

Now I needed some trees. I wanted at least 3-4 tall, old trees but I had to cut them at some point otherwise the base would be WAY too tall. First I tried to cut the tree trunks accurately at about 12 cm, but this looked really strange. So I broke the tree tops apart and gave it a frayed look on the top. I think this works better.
    To make the trunks look more interesting I added many branches made out of thin twisted wires (you get really thin wires out of old power cords, but please unplug them before cutting them open ). The wires are then covered with modelling putty and PVA glue. I just had to "paint" over the branches to get rid of the wire structure.

The shrine is made out of polystrene. I cut the polystrene with a thermocutter to get the desired shapes. The different parts of the shrine are then glued together with PVA glue and afterwards covered with a thin layer of milliput. Now I only had to modell the desired stone texture into the milliput and the shrine was finished. Typically I would build something like a shrine out of stewalin, but I wanted to make a round shrine and needed different components for it (steps, base, back wall and so on) so it was easier this way. Otherwise I had to build many complex molds and this would have taken too long.

Yesterday I covered the sides of the base with milliput wich I will grind down to get a smooth surface. Then I will start detailing the base with stones, earth, bones and so on.
    I will try to keep you updated. Hope you like it so far. Any comments, suggestions or critique are welcome.

Picture of the trees with twisted wire branches:

Finished trees with covered branches:

First test setup with the core base and the plinth:

second test setup with finished shrine and additional skeletons:

Wow, real good start mate. Will have a go at doing trees in that way.
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Fantastic start the diorama has great continuity with virtually no dead areas (no pun intended) look forward to watching this one progress
    Wargames Terrain Workshop
    Home of High Quality Gaming boards, Scenery and Miniature Sculpting

Contact us @ wargamesterrainworkshop@yahoo.co.uk