Crackpots mingle-mangle - Page 11
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Crackpots mingle-mangle

Soooo, the miniature is coming to an end, only some minor details on the back and maybe some weathering on the boots. Hope you like her so far.
    And as the archer is coming to an end, so does the diorama. But I have still a lot of work to do on the base. The colors are mostly in place but now it needs plants and flocking...

I'm really loving the muted colours. Thanks for bringing us along with you as the diorama progresses. Its a real pleasure to see your thought process on these minis.

Great blending and use of subdued colour scheme. As Ozy said been a pleasure watching you bring this together.
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Holy crap. ~snap!~
    Name:  IMG_0680.JPG
Views: 456
Size:  19.4 KB

I'm out dammit. I'm out.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

https://linktr.ee/AlmostPerftec

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    Holy crap. ~snap!~
    Name:  IMG_0680.JPG
Views: 456
Size:  19.4 KB

I'm out dammit. I'm out.
    Glad to see you're ditching the poor brushes, go for Raphael 8404's, cos they're ACE.
    (oh and if you have difficulty finding them gimme a shout, Jackson's art over her have them at reasonable prices)
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Instant +1 to you're scoring Zab by destroying those piece o crap brushes

particularly like the hair on the elven archer very smooth the over all choice of colours and the level of contrast is absolutely spot on love it!
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Oh how you all underestimate me I actually use a variety of W&N galleria and series 7 and Raphael 8404's, but i keep my old GW brushes around for terrain, tamyia clears, brush on primers, powders, oils and other stuff i don't want to waste my good brushes on. Honestly, knowing how small those minis are and the level you have painted them to is staggering - STAGGERING!

Oh what a weekend... :/
    I thought I nearly finished the base on friday and added some more flocking to it to give it a more realisitic look. Oh how wrong I was... The flocking I decided to use reacted with the glue and as it dried the flocking had changed its color to white/grey. ARRRGGGG!!!! So I had to recolor the whole flocking (removing was not up for debate). That was not the look I wanted to achieve.
    Next I placed the models on the base and as I was handling the last miniature (the necromancer) it slipped my hand and fell to the ground. BAM, color chipped from the head and the robe. GREAT! Now back to the painting desk.
    But I placed the necromancer on the base anyhow, just to see how it looks alltogether. I have to admit I am not very satisfied with the colors, esp. on the base. I will have to try to recolor it slightly to give it a darker basecolor on the left side (where the skeletons and the necromancer are placed). And I have to relocate the fighter a bit, to bring the "good guys" closer together. At the moment all miniatures are placed a bit too even.

Anyhow, at least I started with the label for the diorama and I think it's coming along quite nicely:

I wanted a lateral view of a skull, where I can place the title of the diorama. So I searched the web for a nice skull and printed it out in different sizes. Then I decided wich one was appropriate for the diorama and cut it out:

With the paper skull as stencil I cut out the skull from a thin sheet of platicard:

Next step was to cover the plastic sheet with a thick layer of milliput and try to model the details:

Next step will be the coloring. Hope you like it so far.

Regards
    Crackpot

Tough break on the flock and necromancer ! Liking the skull so far
    Wargames Terrain Workshop
    Home of High Quality Gaming boards, Scenery and Miniature Sculpting

Contact us @ wargamesterrainworkshop@yahoo.co.uk

At least you kept moving forward and didn't have a "hulk smash!" moment. If anyone can pull it off and make it work, you can.

Damn man just shows even the top men drop their minis! As zab says at least you kept your temper and didnt have a smash moment.
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Quote Originally Posted by ten ball View Post
    Damn man just shows even the top men drop their minis! As zab says at least you kept your temper and didnt have a smash moment.
    Does it make me a bad person that i had this same thought...and smiled a little

Ohhhhh, you don't want to know how often I mess up...

Quote Originally Posted by Crackpot View Post
    Ohhhhh, you don't want to know how often I mess up...
    Errrrr, Yes we do.
    It'll give us hope to realise us clumsy beggars have the same issues as top knotch painters and an insight into how you repair such calamities!
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

I can't remeber all the disasters I brought upon my miniatures. One time I packet a diorama for a presentation. I put it in a box and tried to fasten it with pattafix. When I gently pressed the back wall (made out of stewalin) to the pattafix it broke in half. Right in the middle... Well, this diorama didn't make it to the presenation. That was the only time I nearly "hulk-smashed" one of my projects, but I could contain myself. I repaired it 2 weeks later, I think only I can recognize where the breakline is but it was hard to get the right colors again...

As for this project I finally repaired the necromancer yesterday. I needed a little break because I was so angry at myself and this dio. Now I only want to give the base some final touch ups and I think the pictures of the completed diorama will be online next week.

Ah and my next project is already on my workbench. This time only a single miniature and a simple base, but with a new setting. I am curious how it will work out.

Some might have seen my thread over at "Discuss Submission" already. The diorama is finally finished. I created two picture to vote for, one for the overview pictures and one for the details.

Overview: http://www.coolminiornot.com/353071
    Details: http://www.coolminiornot.com/353072

Hope you like the result....

It's a freakin awesome job, Crackpot..

Really nice job on this dio! Thanks for all of the updates
    My Rank -