Yellow or Greys?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yellow or Greys?

Default Yellow or Greys?

I was just voting on some people\'s work and I came across this: Beleth666

I was impressed because yellows are one of the hardest colours to work for me. Grey is my bane. What were the hardest colours for you to work with? How did you overcome them and get better at painting them?

Jules

Some days... ALL of them. Yellow? Yep, can\'t get it shaded properly. White? Same. Red or black? Can\'t highlight them well. Flesh? Can never make it lifelike, especially non-caucasian (except on my contest #2 entry). Blue or orange? Don\'t like them much. Purple, grey & green I do like and can do fairly well, But there\'s always something that stymies me. Grr.

I \"improved\" with red by basically deciding I didn\'t care for strong highlights, which will of course cripple my score on any red mini :( Stupid I know...

praetorian0_1

I use/ waste great huge gobs of paint to mix together whether grey or yellow. Mixing bigger it is easier to dilute than with small dabs because you have to be perfect your first try... expensive at first but you learn eventually what works and keep premixes.:cool: Very nice marine like you said.

Originally posted by Ebonbuddha
    I was just voting on some people\'s work and I came across this: Beleth666

I was impressed because yellows are one of the hardest colours to work for me. Grey is my bane. What were the hardest colours for you to work with? How did you overcome them and get better at painting them?

Jules
    There is only one cure and that is practice.
    It\'s like my fear of heights, it was the only thing getting in the way of my rock climbing (As a Scout Leader). Like the paint which is something to be faced and dealt with I had to overcome it. Took a while and yes I fell a couple of times, but I still managed to get to the top of the crags.

You have to face the \"Bogeyman\" colours in the same mindset. One way to do it is to write down the colours as you use them and when you get to a highlight progression that you like. Keep the reciepe/formula.
    For me Reds were my bane, as were(/are) Blues and Purple. I\'m learning to structure my highlighting in the way that allows me to use the formula\'s I\'ve come up with.
    Don\'t let the fact that some colours are difficult, put you off trying. The Great results are all the more sweeter if you beat something which is or was a \'Nemesis\'.

U4-Welcome

Red. I hate red. I mean, I love red, but whenever I try to paint it, I don\'t get the results I want. Doesn\'t mean it looks bad, but it doesn\'t look like I wanted it to. Hate. Hate, hate, maim, kill. :flame:

t_haye2

oh, yellow, defenitely. i dont even use the GW ones, they\'re poo....Vallejo is ok, but in general I use vomit brown, highlighted to bleahced with a yellow ink glaze...

Sturmhalo

Every colour can be a pain in the arse sometimes! Blue needs to be layered carefully, red also needs careful highlighting otherwise it looks scratchy or becomes dark orange, white\'s a bugger to do if you don\'t want it to look too bright but not too grey or too cream, umm... actually they\'re all difficult to paint.

:D

t_haye2

well, oyu could just ajust your pallette to the colours you don;t like painting, a lot of painters do that, and en up with a distinguishable and original style to boot :D

Sturmhalo

I\'d have not paint at all on my palette if I did that!

you knows it!

I have been happy with my flesh tones recently, but thats about it ;) I started adding a ouch of green to the paint to stop it being so damn pink!

-Peter

Default Have you ever thought......

Originally posted by Sturmhalo
    I\'d have not paint at all on my palette if I did that!
    ....about a career change?

You don\'t sound entirely chuffed at the moment:flip:

Originally posted by t_haye2 I use vomit brown, highlighted to bleahced with a yellow ink glaze...
    I bought some GW paints on ebay which included yellow ink. I just stumbled upon this method by accident and it works great. I\'m not that good yet but you\'ll see my results here soon. I\'m doing more of my Space Marines and have a nice, dirty yellow, but the same trick doesn\'t seem to work with blue ink.

My worst color is white.

Originally posted by t_haye2
    oh, yellow, defenitely. i dont even use the GW ones, they\'re poo....Vallejo is ok, but in general I use vomit brown, highlighted to bleahced with a yellow ink glaze...
    Any idea as to why their yellow paint is soo bad? I have yet to find a good yellow paint.

that being said I think I do great whites, browns and blues. my green is alright. as for yellows I always have a time because I find most yellow paints way too thin.

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

White horses and black cars. Bitches to paint.

Somedays all of them. BUT as was said earlier, the more you do it, the easier it gets.

Originally posted by vincegamer
    Originally posted by t_haye2 I use vomit brown, highlighted to bleahced with a yellow ink glaze...
    I bought some GW paints on ebay which included yellow ink. I just stumbled upon this method by accident and it works great. I\'m not that good yet but you\'ll see my results here soon. I\'m doing more of my Space Marines and have a nice, dirty yellow, but the same trick doesn\'t seem to work with blue ink.
    I found out how to use blue ink!
    It worked so well I redid all of the yellow bits using the same process and I think it looks great!
    Soon, soon I will post and you will all see what I am talking about.

Me so happy.:D

Apparently I seem to be a loner with this, but red is my favorite and best color. i hate yellow, and flesh has never been my strong suit either, nor has brown. The yellow deamon is being conquered head on though, all my Ogres will soon have yellow pants
    Working on my ogre army: Tyrant, 25 bulls/guts; 40 knoblars, 40 "Night Knoblins"; 2 yhetees, 1 gorger, and a scraplauncher left to paint!

Oh, and a Giant needing a 4 layer strip, and then proper paint.

WIP thread coming soon to spawn some motivation...

omg!! threadomancy!!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

I actually fail at layering every colour:P
    Quote Originally Posted by uberdark View Post
    i prefer to get two miniatures and rub them around on my gaming bobos.
    Totally going for #1 -->

six frikin' years old! SIX godamnit.

that's some powerfull threadomancy bsop

That means bsop is at least a level 24 cleric.