Realistic metal effects

Thread: Realistic metal effects

Default Realistic metal effects

Hello

I really wanted to use some realistic metal effects on my Warhamemr Necron Monolith and was delighted when i found Hawkeye’s Hobbies Acrylic NMF Paint and Polishing Powders but quickly became disappointed as they are no longer readily available and i cant seem to find any from other resources.

So i began researching alternatives and found http://alclad2.com/ that provide something similar but what other options are there out there? I have also heard of that metallic rub on paste but that sounds a bit strange to me

Have you got any experience with this?

Aclad stuff is impressive but expensive as hell. It might be worth trying buffable enamels first. Metal cote is one such product and is supposed to be brill
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Thats really useful thank you. Im wanting to go for a kind of tarnished silver look any idea on how to achieve this?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Minigiant View Post
    Thats really useful thank you. Im wanting to go for a kind of tarnished silver look any idea on how to achieve this?
    Base with silver of your choice, then selectively apply dark brown/Black washes to get the tarnish look in the areas you want.

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

Thank you

Does anyone have any experience of painting over alclad stuff?

You can also try Testor's Model Master Metalizer paints (lacquer based), they have them in spray cans and bottles. You can then buff them to a nice sheen. Also try Mig metal pigments (http://migproductionswebshop.com/index.php?cPath=22_62). The only thing with Mig pigments and some other pigments is that you must use a fixer.

Where are you based Minigiant?

Quote Originally Posted by Minigiant
    So i began researching alternatives and found http://alclad2.com/ that provide something similar but what other options are there out there?
    Alclad's stuff is excellent quality and can give the best results (genuinely looks like metal) of just about any hobby paint system, as long as you have the right prep and undercoating, but it's really overkill for some things and it does need to be applied by airbrush in case you didn't know.

Alternatives include Humbrol Metalcote, Mr. Metals (wouldn't recommend - too hard to get, too expensive for what it is), Testor's Model Master metallics (both buffing and non-buffing) and SNJ's enamels and polishing powder. This shootout from Massive Voodoo was posted in another thread recently and is well worth a look, showing a direct comparison between some 'regular' metallics and Alclad 2.

How extensive are the metallics you're planning to do? If you're doing small areas as opposed to large areas with relatively little detail then you can do a lot without having to invest in one of the higher-end metallic paints, particularly if you're just looking for a realistic metallic gleam on edges sometimes rubbing with a pencil will do the job!

Einion

Quote Originally Posted by Einion View Post
    Where are you based Minigiant?

Alclad's stuff is excellent quality and can give the best results (genuinely looks like metal) of just about any hobby paint system, as long as you have the right prep and undercoating, but it's really overkill for some things and it does need to be applied by airbrush in case you didn't know.

Alternatives include Humbrol Metalcote, Mr. Metals (wouldn't recommend - too hard to get, too expensive for what it is), Testor's Model Master metallics (both buffing and non-buffing) and SNJ's enamels and polishing powder. This shootout from Massive Voodoo was posted in another thread recently and is well worth a look, showing a direct comparison between some 'regular' metallics and Alclad 2.

How extensive are the metallics you're planning to do? If you're doing small areas as opposed to large areas with relatively little detail then you can do a lot without having to invest in one of the higher-end metallic paints, particularly if you're just looking for a realistic metallic gleam on edges sometimes rubbing with a pencil will do the job!

Einion
    Quite a lot, i plan to be painting some of the Necron range by Games Workshop. (An army of robots- a bit like from the terminator films- if you didnt know) I keep swaying between colour schemes but the basics are they all revolve around achieving a realistic metal look.

My 2 ideas so far are:

Iron Man look so Gold titanium and Candy Red Enamel both from Alclad

Holomatic spectral chrome and Copper with violet OSL

Opinions?

Alcad just got a new fan in me! That gloss chrome is amazing!

Just wanted to add that I'm looking at various pics of the range of colors they do and maybe my google foo is weak but i'm struggling to find some good images showing the full range they do so if anyone can point me to one that i would appreciate it (saves me skipping from page to page fnding examples)
    Also a good tried and tested supplier for the uk would be nice :P Thanks
    Last edited by secretpaintgeek; 04-26-2013 at 11:49 AM.