Reboot 2013 - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Reboot 2013

Indeed can't make any guarantees how long or frequently I'll be around though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    Oh Hello the little tease is back.

Maybe; not that many.
    Now that would be really cool! I'm working with my friends with the WG Consortium to get this organized and launched. They've been doing the video hangouts longer than me. I believe CMON is one of their sponsors too. lol! I'll let y'all know how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey03 View Post
    Very neat stuff. I'm looking forward to trying out your approach. Time to order some more figures from E2046!
    Thank you, Bailey! Awesome! Remember, you don't have to have the large scale figures (I'll be updating my tutorials with some 28mm Reaper figures soon.) Of course, on the other hand, the technique is a great excuse to order some fantastic figures from E2046.com. lol! Like I said, the larger scale figures make it easier to see on camera.

Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    ReaperCon next year is a possibility!
    We're definitely going to get together at a ReaperCon then! My son is still unhappy with me because we couldn't go this year. It was during his b-day and he really wanted to go. The only thing I'm worried about is they may be in conflict with AdeptiCon.

Quote Originally Posted by kittykat23uk View Post
    Indeed can't make any guarantees how long or frequently I'll be around though.
    Hiya Kat! I saw your dragon thread and looking good! I still haven't got the UV thing going on that Reaper dragon I was working on. Although I did back a kickstarter for Powered Play Gaming, they've got some cool lighting stuffs coming out for minis and as a backer, I requested one of the options be UV or Blacklight. They will be providing that so we shall see next month.

And I've been touch and go here too with the novels. With my book convention coming up in August, I might have to vanish a little in July to get ready for it. But great to see ya back!

Thanks! The UV Paint I got worked quite nicely on Cang the Improbable so definitely worth persevering with it.

Part two vid of the details on her face - hopefully I can get the video finished up in one more segment then get back to painting - and of course, recording while I paint. lol! But I want to get the small scale stuff in the videos too.

Wow - I got to knock the dust off this thread again! lol!

Well, that doesn't mean I've been sitting on my hands dontcha know. I've been busy busy busy!

First up YouTube Tutorials -

Video #1 The last of the details on Medusa's Gaze facial work plus I start a 28mm Reaper mini with pigments. It seems everyone has been waiting for the smalls. lol!

Video #2 Focuses on the Reaper mini alone and a sheer clothing technique with dry pigments.

And if you don't have time to check the vid - here's some stills of the Reaper mini. These are after shooting the first video.

And these are after shooting the second.

Now, don't let only two vids fool you - I've been working like crazy. I've got three more videos in process. Basically whenever I paint, I start recording now. If I decide I want to use it for a tutorial, great, if not, I delete later. But it's a good habit to get into because there have been many times I wish I had video of stuff I've done, especially when someone asks me about it.

I don't worry about doing the tutorial while I'm painting, I just record and do a voice over later - I can barely walk and chew gum at the same time, I can't concentrate on tutorials and painting at the same time as well! lol!

To top it off - I got bored and needed a change of pace, so I started working on a base.

I don't have any idea where I'm going with this one. I'm just flying by the seat of my pants. No planning, no idea, I don't even know what mini I'm going to put on it.

I'm going somewhere with this but I have no clue where. lol!

And so - more vids and more painting coming up!

Sorry about that gang - had to get another novel posted on Amazon. (pssstt...guys tell the gals you know pweeeezzzzzzz .. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DX73Z2M) So after that I was then and now, I'm back to trying to get everything finished for the conference.

Anyway - knocking the dust off of here again...I know...oh yay. lol! Sorry guys. But thought I'd post just some photos this time. With the conference coming fast no time for vids right now. I am recording my painting, but editing will have to wait. Okay - tossing pics at y'all now. DUCK!

Okay - my Wolfen redo stands here: (acrylics only)

Reaper Sylph - sheer clothing (dry pigments only).

In previous posts you can see the start of a large base and I did a tutorial on YouTube subtitled "Cork is a Four Letter Word." lol! But here are some more stills of its transformation.

And I finally decided exactly what I'm going to do with the silly thing.

Sorry for the crappy pic - it's actually a still I pulled from a video frame so it ain't that great Anyway, I've got two Dark Sword minis - Thief of Hearts Sorceress and Cleric. I'm going to do a diorama battle - fire and ice. So more video and photos coming up on this.

Oh - here's the Cleric's cloak. (Acrylics only on cloak - metallic pigments on wings.)

I also started on my Lone Ranger model. (Pan pastels only)

And as I said in Trystan's thread, I started messing around painting Prowler. (acrylics only)

I've got too strong of a "human" flesh tone with him so I'm toning that down.

Oh and some more "terrain".

This is part of the Ruined Castle from Verlinden. I didn't realize when I ordered it - it's plaster. Meh...not happy...but it's also part of the items going with me to the conference so no time for refunds/exchanges. Anyway, used to work a lot with plaster years ago - you don't paint it, you patina it because it is so absorbent. This has been treated with something so it's not as bad but spots still get a bit touchy.

So I took this tower from beginning to end - got to get final photos of that as well.

Okay that's it for now...told y'all I've been busy! lol!

All this painting....it has to stop. You are making me look bad and feel lazy...

I need a drink..
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1

ahhh! look at all that work! When the hell did all that happen?! I really like both those wolfen...
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Quote Originally Posted by marjedi View Post
    All this painting....it has to stop. You are making me look bad and feel lazy...

I need a drink..
    Oh dear - not sure if I should crack the whip and tell ya to get moving or give ya a hug.

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    ahhh! look at all that work! When the hell did all that happen?! I really like both those wolfen...
    hehe - thanks Zab - ya see, if you blink, you miss it. These little elves came in and mentioned something about a glut of shoes on the market, so they had to resort to making something else. I woke up and realized, I'd been drinking too much with Mar. hehe!

Seriously, I've been busting my butt...and these projects are gonna kill me.

Quote Originally Posted by marjedi View Post

I need a drink..
    i second this!

I like the blue on the Wolfen and the cloak on the cleric. The artifacts on the base are way too cool. I am not to sure about the Reaper Sylth though.

But it is good seeing someone getting some painting done.

Oh hey! Look! Painting! Haven't seen any o that for a good wee while...

Personally, I like the sylph - the cloth is all shimmery and somewhat ethereal looking, which I'm assuming is the desired effect. The photos seem to have a problem with glossiness, though (not just the sylph). Lots of shiny spots make things a bit hard to pick out. I appreciate they're just wip and all, s'just they busy up the eye a wee bitsy. Still, at least you have minis to take pictures of - mine are languishing In cupboards, on tables, in boxes. Languish, languish, languish, that's all they do
    "Facts are the impregnable bulwark that stands between us and the insidious evil of bullsh*t." - Pikey, over on Nagoyahammer

Wow, lots of stuff! I like how the sheer effect looks and the Rackham figures are always neat. Can't wait to see how all of those other projects turn out.

Hi everyone! So sorry this is a bit disjointed. Every time I go to reply, I end up getting interrupted and the next thing I know, I've closed the window and completely forgot about the post I had halfway finished. lol!

Quote Originally Posted by KruleBear View Post
    i second this!

I like the blue on the Wolfen and the cloak on the cleric. The artifacts on the base are way too cool. I am not to sure about the Reaper Sylth though.

But it is good seeing someone getting some painting done.

Thanks so much, Krule! The sylph has a ways to go, I haven't done much with highlights and shading. The skin is still rough so hopefully I can get her shipshape.

Quote Originally Posted by me_in_japan View Post
    Oh hey! Look! Painting! Haven't seen any o that for a good wee while...

Personally, I like the sylph - the cloth is all shimmery and somewhat ethereal looking, which I'm assuming is the desired effect. The photos seem to have a problem with glossiness, though (not just the sylph). Lots of shiny spots make things a bit hard to pick out. I appreciate they're just wip and all, s'just they busy up the eye a wee bitsy. Still, at least you have minis to take pictures of - mine are languishing In cupboards, on tables, in boxes. Languish, languish, languish, that's all they do
    Hi MiJ! How ya been? Thank you very much! Yes, the shimmery translucent effect is what I'm going for. And yes, taking pics of these metalics can be a real PITA. My camera doesn't like them at all. I've got even more done now but have to take pics. hehe!

Wow, lots of stuff! I like how the sheer effect looks and the Rackham figures are always neat. Can't wait to see how all of those other projects turn out.
    Bailey, you're back! Thank you! I'm painting as fast as I can trying to get it all done in time. The sylph is kinda on hold right now because she's not going with me. I got a new historical figure going - Pegaso's 13th Century Scottish Nobleman. You should see me trying to get this stupid plaid right. lol! Join us in a hang out one of these days.

I'll get you guys more pics soon! I've got about 2 weeks to go so the paint and the pigments are flying like crazy over here. lol!

Ah, the Scottish nobleman is a cool figure. I'm sure you'll have fun with that. You know I think I posted a tutorial on painting tartans a while ago. I can find it for you if you'd like. The example was a bust, so a little larger scale but who knows, it might still be helpful.

Yeah, let me know next time you're doing a hangout. I should be painting most nights this week.

Loving the palette used for the base and that cloak looks fantastic - keen for another angle or two there!
    The Future Of Magic Wash is Klear

supervike: This site is cake, the scoring is icing. Scrape it off if you don't like it, the cake is still delicious!!

Dragonsreach: Oh my goodness, an Orrery and the Time Machine, at this time of the morning. I think I need a stiff cup of tea.

OMG! I've only started, stopped, and came back to this about a dozen times now. At least this time, I didn't just slam a bunch of tabs closed without paying attention to my half-finished message. lol!

Well, it's getting closer and closer to the conference, my days get crazier and crazier. To add to the mayhem I did a radio-blog interview on my books and the conference last week that was a lot of fun. On the same day I also did a live Google Hangout because I tried out for a spot on the weekly YouTube show Chillin' Wargamers. OMG! That was so freakin' funny! I was going for the spot along with four other people - you gotta watch the show to find out what happened. If anyone is interested you can check both out on my blog at http://warhorseminis.blogspot.com

Ah, the Scottish nobleman is a cool figure. I'm sure you'll have fun with that. You know I think I posted a tutorial on painting tartans a while ago. I can find it for you if you'd like. The example was a bust, so a little larger scale but who knows, it might still be helpful.

Yeah, let me know next time you're doing a hangout. I should be painting most nights this week.
    Thanks Bailey! I've added you back to my list so you should be getting invites. We're doing hangouts almost every evening. I don't know if I'll be on this eve (Sunday) because I'm hitting the wall when it comes to stress but I need to keep on keeping on - so check and see. I also wanted to take you up on that tutorial for plaid.

This isn't even close to the effect I wanted but the plaid does have wide black with thin yellow accents. It's the yellow that screws me up every time. I had to strip it the first time but now I heat it with a flat sealer before I try the yellow and that helps protect the layers below. But that yellow is tearing me up. While I'm not happy with this, I did get it to look "softer" than I expected. Gotta take what I can get. lol!

Anyway, Bailey, I've added you to the invites, we've been getting on Hangouts almost every evening at least for a short time. So keep an eye out when you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidane View Post
    Loving the palette used for the base and that cloak looks fantastic - keen for another angle or two there!
    Thanks Kalidane! Here let me throw this one in just for shits and giggles. lol!

It's a scale model replica of the 68 Mustang GT from the movie Bullitt. I decided to build it and throw it into the mix as well. Might as well have a variety of stuff since one of my characters had a replica of this car in the book. lol!

I've gotten other things done but haven't been able to work on any more pics. I also need to get some computer work done and OMG! It's 2 in the afternoon already! ARRRRGGGGGHHHH!

Nice GT, what scale is it Kath?
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Thanks 10! Uhh...you know it's slipped my mind already. Things are frantic over here and I'm fixin' to go on the warpath. I'm supposed to leave tomorrow and still have models that barely have basecoats. It's a Revell model, stock run...from a few years back that I found on ebay.

And thank you Bailey for the great tartan tutorial!

Last photo of the tartan - I still think it needs another glaze or two but I'm not touching it again except to paint the fur trim. NOT GONNA TOUCH IT! Nope! No siree, it is done and I will NOT overwork this piece.

(Somebody hide this damn thing from me!)

Okay, gotta run to Walmart and pick up last minute crap.

Oh, I don't know... some super thin red lines running right through the middle of the green squares would look pretty nice...*poke* *poke*
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo