Are Imperial Gaurd Nazi's ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Imperial Gaurd Nazi's ?

Default Are Imperial Gaurd Nazi's ?

Ok so in pretty new to 40k and while browsing on their website I found the imperial guard who to me look a bit too much like the German soldiers I have seen in old war films. If you had seen this miniature on the internet and you knew nothing about it im pretty sure you would assume that it is Nazi. So Are they based on Nazis ? or am I being weird? http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhamme...ISSAR_SET.html

Yes, they are very similar. Just take a look at his hat
    http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...UY2xv_k2cfPqPQ

You are not weird, I have the same view as you

I thought that in the future Albania rules the world:

But, if Morderian iron guard are Nazis, then Catachans are all Rambo, and Tallarans are all Lawerence.

If you read the fluff, the Empire itself is worse than Nazis. The humans generally aren't the good guys. The Tau are the only "good guys", and even they have a rogue element that may or may not be possessed by Chaos demons.

The basic imperial guard has sort of a german/russian feel to it. There are a lot of different imperial guard variations, most of which are based on a past army. Here's a link with a lot of the imperial guard fluff: http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_Guard

If you scroll down about 3/4ths of the way you'll get to the section "Notable Imperial Guard Forces." These show a lot of the special units and a variety of the looks. Yeah, there are still plenty of German WWI and WWII and Russian styles. But you also have the jungle commando/Rambo ones, Prussian, British (Zulu wars), Arabian, etc.

Whoa I didn't expect that response, So these guys are genuinely based on Nazis. Kind of feels wrong that the people who are supposed to guard humans from the chaos of the galaxy are so corrupt! Thanks for answering though ps. They also share the symbol of an eagle

Sorry im new to the way this works.The Albanian thing is lolable

Likely much worse than any conventional force from the last earth century. They'd call those modern guys soft... in a universe of total war whatdaya expect lol.

Yep, it's strange- you just change racism to specism and it's accepted. There's not a strong contingent of Imperials going out of their way to promote harmony between all races. Some Inquisitors work with/for Eldar, but that's cause they're the only "Good" race besides the Tau. But Tau have the equal but opposite agenda than the Empire; that is, they'll basically take over the universe and use other races to do it.

I'm thinking Imperial Rome is more the mode for Imperial Guard Armies- al la Roman Army Aux. - they are made up of the troops from the millions of worlds they conscript. So you see every type of army imaginable when it comes to IG I would guess.

why do people see Nazi everywhere. Imperial guard are generic in their appearance, more American G.I that German , British or any other European forces. as for the picture you have shown, while they are similar in look, in some ways, to the Gestapo they are closer to the Russian commissar. This is also shown in the general tactics and usage of the average Cadian regiment. They look like the American G.I. and live like the Russian troop of WWI and WWII. life is a cheap commodity and is readily available with no limit. They use troops as a shield for humanity rather than risking the loss of the irreplaceable technology of mankind. As for the Imperium of man being worse than the Nazi regime. if we come to a time on this planet where deamon's are common place and weapons of mass destruction are at most peoples fingertips then I think we may well see a little totalitarianism crop in. That does not make you a Nazi, it makes you a realist. When you start killing people for the colour of their eyes or their accent or because they stand on a crack on the pavement then you may be getting worse than the Nazi regime.

Good points, i agree they should do what is necessary to survive i just think they look very nazi that is all

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Bolter View Post
    Whoa I didn't expect that response, So these guys are genuinely based on Nazis. Kind of feels wrong that the people who are supposed to guard humans from the chaos of the galaxy are so corrupt! Thanks for answering though ps. They also share the symbol of an eagle
    I don't think the guard have ever been specifically focused on one element from modern history. The mini you posted actually has elements of korean imagery in addition to the german ones. I think that every game developer, author, painter, sculptor who has done something has added to the "soup" with their own thoughts. Bits from WWI and WWII are bound to crop up more often than things that are older. As for saying they're corrupt - I think that is very subjective to your view point. The Nazi party was actually more than just the army and there is no similarity between them and the high lords of terra for example.

Besides, the guard aren't actually there to protect humans from the chaos of the galaxy, they're more a "first line of defence speed bump" until marines can be brought into play - the reason being that life is cheap in the 41st millennia and there are untold billions of humans to pour into the meat grinder of war

Quote Originally Posted by RuneBrush View Post
    I don't think the guard have ever been specifically focused on one element from modern history.
    Exactly. The whole nazi thing is ridiculous. It would be equally valid and wrong to say they are based on the Rambo movies.
    The IG are based on a portmantue of various historical physical ascetics. Their recruitment and training are based on their home planet, making the overall IG structure a melting pot of cultures. This is why, from a fluff perspective, the warmasters are more political leaders and why commissars are important in getting the different regiments to fight as a cohesive unit.

There are no good guys in 40k if you pay more than a passing glance. There's as many weirdos, cannibals, etc, fighting for the imperium as chaos...

At risk of changing the conversation, what do you class as a good guy. if a good guy is someone who fights for what he believes is right with every fibre of his body then the 40k universe is full of good guys. whether that is an Imperial guard fighting to protect his family from those who would do them harm. Space marines as the guardians of humanity with no ulterior motive but to be the ultimate protector of man. The Eldar fighting to preserve a universe that that they have seen prophetically consumed but chaos, while making amends for the catastrophic impact they had on the universe or even the Tau who are bringing enlightenment and protection to the weaker civilisations for a greater good. They each fight against inconceivable evil for the betterment and protection of their own kind. This is a universe were they look at a broken era, and in those time we see true heroes who fight and yes kill. sadly good guys don't get to wear white hats and wing the enemy and ask them never to come back again. as I mentioned in my previous post on this thread, sometimes you have to implement extreme actions to ensure people survive. that does not make you a bad guy it makes you a good guy who may be remembered badly, even hated but them that is what makes those people true heroes they do what is right, not for fame or glory but for a cause they believe in. If we had a world with heroes such as that it would be a better place. just a thought.

Oh I agree space marines and eldar are held up to be the good guys, and some of them are. But you have those like the flesh tearers, etc, who drink the blood of their enemies, there's imperial guard commanders who don't care how they win and how many men they lose as long as they win (a la stalin), etc, etc. The emperor himself who needs 10,000 deaths daily to stay alive. It's hardly benevolent behaviour.

What I'm saying is GW has heroes who when you really look at it, aren't heroes or great people at all. Certainly no-one I'd hold up to my kids as a shining example. I can get those examples through the tales of Roland, Beowulf, etc.

A good guy I guess is someone who sticks up for his moral principles no matter the odds, no matter if it occasion death, no matter the ridicule to himself. Not someone who's a great hacker and slayer and then drinks a glass of blood or who has a brief moment of slaughter just to be a bit cool as well... And the principles he stands up for have to be right in themselves. I mean a bloke who sticks up for murder because he believes it's good is still a bad guy, as the saying goes "the road to hell is paved with good intentions..."

So you agree that there are heroes. In a rounded wellwritten universe you need the overly good, the overtly evil and the shades inbetween. In essence you have agreed with me but said you do not.

You have quoted the Tales of Rowland from the Charlemagnemythos. Which in turn is were the Arthurian legend is routed as well as Christianity.The great man in the case of 40k is the Emperor who takes the place of Arthuror Jesus. He has Primarchs, taking the place of apostles or knights etc. Thereforethe Emperor is the epitome of a true hero, he brings enlightenment to theuniverse and dies as a martyr. The fact that you think that the evil acts that havebeen attributed to him after is death make him evil or at the least not a goodguy is like saying Jesus was not the nicest of people because the dark ages,where the inquisition did acts of evil in his name (do you see thesimilarities).
    Rogal Dorn, Leman Russ and Roboute Guilliman are trueexamples of selfless heroes who have each suffered for the greater good.
    If we take any of the great fictional characters then youwill find no man you would tell your children of, if you can not find one inthe 40k Universe. To be a hero in the sense of Beowulf, Arthur, Hercules etcetc, they are all flawed. If they are not flawed they are not human andtherefore are people who are unattainable. They all kill, they all womanise andmost have far worse crimes to their name. The Greek and Roman myth, which isthe basis of most modern European myth, is full of adultery, incest and fratricide.Yet some of the greatest heroes are from these works. People we tell tales of themto their children to inspire them, you just do not tell them that they rapedand pillaged. We sensor these tails as you would with these tales if they werenot a game.

Then we have the argument that people who spend lives arenot heroes. That rules out Churchill he knowingly allowed hundreds in not thousandsto die over the war all for the greater good. No great political leader or generalhas ever existed who has not sacrificed many a man’s life in the pursuit ofvictory.

I could labour this point but it all comes down to, you needto look at this world and put yourself in it. There are heroes and there arewhat these days we term as anti heroes but do not mix the two. It is an indepth universe with many facets. Go not look at it as good and evil. Your lastparagraph agrees in part with my sentiment but you missed the sad truth. To bea leader of any kind you stick up for murder, you just call it war,assassination acceptable intervention, acceptable civilian losses. You can nothave any war without blood on your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by NoElf View Post
    Oh I agree space marines and eldar are held up to be the good guys, and some of them are. But you have those like the flesh tearers, etc, who drink the blood of their enemies, there's imperial guard commanders who don't care how they win and how many men they lose as long as they win (a la stalin), etc, etc. The emperor himself who needs 10,000 deaths daily to stay alive. It's hardly benevolent behaviour.

What I'm saying is GW has heroes who when you really look at it, aren't heroes or great people at all. Certainly no-one I'd hold up to my kids as a shining example. I can get those examples through the tales of Roland, Beowulf, etc.

A good guy I guess is someone who sticks up for his moral principles no matter the odds, no matter if it occasion death, no matter the ridicule to himself. Not someone who's a great hacker and slayer and then drinks a glass of blood or who has a brief moment of slaughter just to be a bit cool as well... And the principles he stands up for have to be right in themselves. I mean a bloke who sticks up for murder because he believes it's good is still a bad guy, as the saying goes "the road to hell is paved with good intentions..."
    I think the whole point of the 40k universe is in the description "In the Grim Darkness of the far future", the whole universe is based around the idea of there being no hope of peace, no proverbial "light at the end of the tunnel" from reading the Horus Heresy novels we can imply that humanity's last hope for peace and prosperity died when the first bombs fell on Istvaan, or more accurately when Lorgar succumbed to the Chaos Gods.

But even the Great Crusade was still, as HoweyD1 says, is a shade of grey, even though it was meant to bring enlightenment to humanity it did it by imposing the "imperial truth" and wiping out any civilizations that were considered too divergent from the way the Imperium wanted.

In essence there are no characters in in the Warhammer universe that can be held up as true paragons of good. They are all in the "shades of grey" some are just better than others.

It wouldn't be "Grimdark" if everything were black and white.