Star Trek: Into Darkness

Thread: Star Trek: Into Darkness

Default Star Trek: Into Darkness

OK.
    I went to see this yesterday.
    Got to admit I was impressed with this, better than the previous "reboot".

Anybody else's opinions?
    Good?
    Bad?
    Couldn't give a Rat's Ass?
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

I am interested in seeing it just for the actors, really liked Sherlock. Never been a big Star Trek fan but good to hear, I'll try catching it next week.

I'm looking forward to it. If it's roughly as good as or better than the last one I'll be happy.

Just an FYI, the movie doesn't open in the US until this Friday. So if anyone replies with plot info please clearly mark it with **** SPOILERS **** or something like that for those of us over here.

Being a huge Trekkie, I find it hard seeing a non-kirk, kirk, although it was a reboot to me they are not the original crew.

Planning to take the eldest spawn to see it a week from this Friday. Have to wait until then to give ya an opinion.

I'll probably like it, especially if there is a spaceship or two.
    "Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006

It's grrreat. I won't say anything about it that might be construed as a spoiler - if you've watched any of the ads you've already had the film spoiled for you anyway - but I think if you liked the Star Trek you'll like this.

What was wrong with the reboot in your opinion DR? Other than Bana, who I think generally has the acting abilities of a table leg, I thought it was awesome.

@PegaZus, I think you'll be happy.... there are ah, a couple spaceships!

Einion

The previous one, well wasn't that impressed with it first time around.
    The whole dumping Kirk off plotline just didn't ring right, plus much as I like Simon Pegg, Scottish he isn't.

Gets better second viewing.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach
    ...much as I like Simon Pegg, Scottish he isn't.
    But then neither was James Doohan, eh.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach
    Gets better second viewing.
    As I get older I find that's often the case.

Einion

I confess to being disappointed. I was really hoping for a reboot that was less of a re-hash. There were lots of things that could have been done with this, but the end result is more James bond than star trek, IMHO. There is no right or wrong here, this is obviously opinion, but I felt the firs one got a lot of perks for novelty and refreshing the franchise, this I a step back and mire he reboot in the 1980s. I'm back in the US over the weekend. I am sure this film will get another viewing, maybe I'll like it more the second time.
    Last edited by Jbickley00; 05-14-2013 at 07:44 PM.

Okay, got to watch it tonight. It was in 3D, which we weren't going to go to, but the internet lied to me. Took the little boy and we both really enjoyed it.

Son did enjoy it, and said it was the most excited about a movie that he'd ever been to, and he didn't catch all the parallels to the old series, obviously since he's not been interested in it.

I enjoyed all the little jokes and fan service phrases. I'm sure I didn't catch them all. There's bound to be a list of them at some point.

My thing is ships. I would have enjoyed seeing more ships. Tried to catch all the little glimpses around and about, but so quick and hard to actually figure out what they were, especially as close as we were and the 3D effects. But, hey, that's cinematography, and I'll be able to pause the DVD when it comes out.

And so, SPOILER-FREE, I most enjoyed the twists on the whole parallel/alternate timeline. I was thinking "Oh, they won't go there. They can't think it'll work. They can't possibly go full steam ahead on that". They did. And I'm honestly happy that they did. The more I think about it, the more it works for me. Things are different, but it seems like the whole space time continuum is trying to right itself, as if space-time has a sort of potential energy to itself, and the events of the first movie pushed things up the trough and now space-time is rolling back and forth as it settles down to the lower potential. I seriously doubt that the specific thought even crossed any of the writers/producers/directors, but that's what went through my mind.

There's one little "WTF" technobabble-like solution that I really thought was too convenient. You know the one. The SNL Church Lady would have a field day with it. BUT! Nearly every TV episode was nearly like that, so it gets an official "meh" from me, and I just gloss over it.

That's it. Recommend it. Go watch.
    "Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006

Brilliant movie, Karl Urban as bones steals the show imo.
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

I enjoyed it, but i enjoyed the last one too
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

I live down in Dorset with the cider and the combine harvesters yaargh!

Very enjoyable, better than iron man 3. Though however thought bar code scanners make good scifi instruments is an idiot, so distracting!

Hoping to find a cinema at some point on Thursday or Friday to see this as both me and the other half are on holiday (away in Coventry for a few days) and quite fancy seeing it