CMON Annual 2012
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CMON Annual 2012

Default CMON Annual 2012

Just wondering if anything is being done about the CMON annual for 2012. The previous ones have been great and they are really nice to flick through every now and then. I haven't heard anything regarding submitting images..... so was the 2011 annual the last?
    What you leave behind is not what is written on your tombstone but what is written in the heart of others.

doesn't look that way.
    sadly it seems that only about 400 was bought from the 2011 book.
    Zombicide, RivetWards, RelicKnights and possibly other kickstarters move/generate much more income, so they are a better investment (both money and time).

I'd like a 2012 Annual too, but to do a print-run of 1000+ books for about 300-400 sales is'd really good business.

Blog Entries

I will need to get the 2010,2011 at some point, so I am thankful they have not sold out. But they can easily do all further annuals as a Kickstarter campaigns to guage demand and near enough sell out and still produce an annual of the finest miniatures on the site every year - which is after all what CMON is all about. I think having an annual of the best is a great incentive for people at intermediate level to improve their painting skills in addition to everything else.

dfb

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

I got the 2011 annual. Just a bit of constructive crit if Chern or anyone happens by.

Proofread, proofread, proofread. Found a few mistakes here and there...I do the same thing with my books and boy did I get lectures on professionalism even though I knew better. lol!

But I too hope to see more. Personally, I want a kindle version...lol!

Blog Entries

My Kindle is an old one, but great thinking Kathryn, and e-book version could be a bonus for those who order on the kickstarter but I wouldn't want to rely on it for sales purposes due to piracy. A hard copy held in your hands to see the finest minis in is irreplaceable. So I hope the CMON annual does not fall by the wayside. The high quality games and minis produced by the site is great - I ordered Cadwallon and it is great game, enjoyed by our group and I missed out on the first Zombicide, but not Season 2 which I eagerly look forward to. The CMON minis are also great.

I have enjoyed watching this site go from strength to strength over the years. The miniatures hobby needs to rely less on Games Workshop, CMON has helped facilitate this in many ways which is why I am a big believer and supporter in this site,in Chern and all the CMON "minions" who work hard to keep it going as well as all the regulars on the forums and the people who post to their galleries!

Good to see many members doing their own things to - Michael Bartels (Zaphod Beeblebrox) doing his painting DVD's and miniatures sets, Warploque Monkey setting up with some other Indies. It's all good man!!! Let's keep the ball rolling.

dfb

My Gallery Here

Hiya DFB! How ya doing? I think it depends on the cost of that hardbound version vs. sales. Might come down to pure economics. But at least with the interactive content we can do in ebooks now, it could be rockin'. Kindle and Nook are predicted to start fading out in popularity and just plain tablets will be the e-reader of choice. Still, it would definitely rock. And relatively low overhead.

Blog Entries

Usual load of crap going on unfortunately Kathryn, but I have been exercising my creative side a little. Started my Golden Demon entry for this year today, been doing some watercolours, have a poem on the go, attend a local gaming club bi-monthly so getting back into the swing of life a bit. I would hope that the Kindle does not die in favour of tablets tbh. I do not have a tablet and although I seem them becoming VERY popular indeed in the future they just dont have the required battery life when compared to my month long Kindle!!! Two very different products I feel.

dfb

My Gallery Here

I reckon kindles and tablets are apples and oranges. I love my iPad dearly, but when I tried picking up my mate's kindle I was very much impressed by how light it was. It's a dedicated book reading device, and it does it better than the multi-purpose tablet.

With regards the CMoN annual in an e-version...I'm not sure. On the one hand, although I want it, I haven't bought the 2011book yet because the shipping to Japan is horrific, so an e version would be a big incentive to buy. On the other hand, wouldn't an e-version just end up looking like the CMoN website? GW can do all sorts of fancy schmancy rotating images in their ebooks, but as the CMoN annual pics are user submitted, this wouldn't be an option.
    "Facts are the impregnable bulwark that stands between us and the insidious evil of bullsh*t." - Pikey, over on Nagoyahammer

Well the Kindle Fire which I have is very close to a tablet. In fact I don't think it will go extinct. It will just turn into a tablet.

Sharing is pretty easy MiJ. People can comment on my novels, highlight text and notes. I can see it on my Kindle if they share and there is a page on Amazon I can go to. I was getting reviews on my books and didn't even know it at first. lol!

Anyway, might take a little juggling but I'm sure it would be doable.

wow, good news, there will be a 2012 annual

just saw it in my inbox.

I'm kind of curious how the whole process of compiling the annuals works.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

According to my email they (CMON) enter minis rated over an 8. They offer a email return to resend better high res. photos of that mini. I suppose they just use the one on your gallery if you can not send a better picture.
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

OK - but with those criteria there are over 3000 entries that qualify. Even assuming half of those don't reply/are duplicates/don't have the minis anymore, that's 1500 entries. They use maybe 100? So is there a selection process after they get the larger photos? I'm honored to have been asked to contribute, but I'd have to take some new shots to send them. If I'm vying for page space against the 9s, I'm not sure it's worth the bother.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Quote Originally Posted by MAXXxxx View Post
    wow, good news, there will be a 2012 annual

just saw it in my inbox.
    Oh goodie, more eye candy to spend money on.
    Won't my wife be pleased.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

'If I'm vying for page space against the 9s, I'm not sure it's worth the bother.'

nonsense - send them they will use a wide selection across the board not just the 9s. There is some great work rated in the 8's including yours (and mine lol)
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Haha fair enough - though my best two (by rating) don't qualify!
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    I'm vying for page space against the 9s, I'm not sure it's worth the bother.
    Bollox, nothing better than seeing your own work in a book to flash off at snobby relatives. (*)
    Does wonders for your Ego.

* And when you've 2 Barristers, A Judge and a Doctor of Zoology as cousins its nice to see the "snobby aunt'" surprized.)
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Yup! My horsie made it for 2011. But send in hi-rez photos - they WILL pick the worst possible one.

And...how does my horsie end up in the Steampunk Category???? *head desk*

And just to make sure three strikes and I'm out - they misspelled my name. Okay, I'm takin' my resin pony and going home now.

j/k!

Trys - just send in the best hi-res photos you have. If you don't have any, take new ones. Doesn't matter if they match what's up for voting. Make sure they are nice and spiffy, cropped and so on, because they are going to get slammed with photos. Don't leave anything to chance (my mistake last year).

And congrats hun!
    Last edited by kathrynloch; 06-06-2013 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    OK - but with those criteria there are over 3000 entries that qualify. Even assuming half of those don't reply/are duplicates/don't have the minis anymore, that's 1500 entries. They use maybe 100? So is there a selection process after they get the larger photos? I'm honored to have been asked to contribute, but I'd have to take some new shots to send them. If I'm vying for page space against the 9s, I'm not sure it's worth the bother.
    actually it's CMON scores of 8+ that were submitted in the year of the book (2012 now). With a quick search that's about 400 entries now (some are double-triple). With an average of 2-3 images/page it's about 130-200 pages, so like the 2011 one.

As for absolute scores. I think sometimes a lower scoring favorite is used. Like the Xmas-tree decorating necron in 2009 or 2010. I doubt it reached 8+ (paintig wasn't that good), but I liked the idea, so it had it's place there.

Quote Originally Posted by MAXXxxx View Post
    actually it's CMON scores of 8+ that were submitted in the year of the book (2012 now)..
    Are you sure about that? I got invitations for the two 8.0+ (8.0 and 8.1) I did in calendar 2012, but not for the 2 8.0+ (8.3 and 8.7) I did this year (2013).
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460