How much would you pay?

Thread: How much would you pay?

Sturmhalo

Default How much would you pay?

I\'ve sold a few painted models on Ebay recently and noticed that occasionally some sellers get ridiculously high bids for their models. I was wondering, how much has someone payed for that must have painted figure, or how much would you be willing pay? ???

Blog Entries

Personally, I\'ve never bought any models on eBay. First, I can never afford to outbid some of the people out there who, you know, actually have jobs and income and stuff ;) Second, I can usually pull off something at least close to my inspiration if I take the time to do it.

Assuming I had some money to throw around though, I still wouldn\'t buy any painted models on eBay. It just wouldn\'t seem \"right\" to play with something I didn\'t make myself.

Default wrong group

You\'re asking the wrong group here. The people here all like to paint their figures (as soon as I say all, someone will say \"not me\").
    The people who buy painted minis are the people who will field an unpainted army. They can\'t be bothered painting, but maybe they want something awesome to impress the others they game with.
    I would guess this group has a very high percentage of sellers and almost no buyers.

If this site caters to painters only, why all the linking up to e-bay? I average about 5 hits per mini from this site to my auctions, so there must be some buyers and collectors who are regular CMON viewers. On another note, I am also stunned at times on what some people are willing to pay for these silly pieces of pewter. Some buyers on E-bay spend hundreds per month on painted minis! Good grief, and they say Everquest is addicting?

mini-goddess

Are you asking about gaming pieces or display art pieces? Two different bidders! Also, think aboiut it in terms of $/hour. If you spend 5 hours on a character piece and get $25 for it, that\'s $5/hour, but that doesn\'t include the cost of the figure, the paints, brushes and whatever bits and glue you used...you get the idea. A few hundred $$$ for a piece of miniature artwork is chickenfeed when compared to how many hours the artist has worked on it.

Originally posted by mini-goddess
    Are you asking about gaming pieces or display art pieces? Two different bidders! Also, think aboiut it in terms of $/hour. If you spend 5 hours on a character piece and get $25 for it, that\'s $5/hour, but that doesn\'t include the cost of the figure, the paints, brushes and whatever bits and glue you used...you get the idea. A few hundred $$$ for a piece of miniature artwork is chickenfeed when compared to how many hours the artist has worked on it.
    Yes I fully agree Sue. People think Im insane when I say I need a minimum of $100.00 to paint a character model with a detailed base. Im not just slapping paint here.. from cleanup prep..conversions.. detailed base work..I can put in 2-4 hours on a figure even befor I apply that first stroke of paint.. add a 10+ hour paint job and Im already looking at 12-14 hours minimum on a figure ( some have gone to 40 plus hours). Average thats $7.50 an hour ( or less). If the client provides the mini Im ok there.. but if not add the mini price and all the extras includeing my supplies it does add up.

So on eBay if I can get $150.00 + for that mini if Im lucky.. Im making as much as if I went to go work at Home Depot for $8.50 an hour on a part time job. No I don\'t paint minis for a living.. I do it because I like it.. but I also want to make something for my time.

As for buyers on eBay paying hundreds for minis.. well there is a whole new group of people out there who are considered collectors.. they look at our silly hobby as an art form. For some having a \"XXXXXX\" or an \"@@@@@@\" in there collecting is worth everything to them. I also know collectors who are good painters..wouldnt dream about playing an unpainted army.. They just have an income or budget which allows them to spend money on it. I know collectors who spend $ 2-300.00 per month on painted miniatures.. God I love them:bouncy:

Default my price chart is......

on average id expect to pay via the rating job it would get on CMON. say a mini got a 6. just because it took the guy 10 hours total doesnt mean id like to pay a hundred for it. i judge how much id be willing to pay via the paint job. for a 6 id pay bout 50, a solid 7 aka 7.5 bout 70$ and a solid 8 id say bout a cool 120-150. if i rated it a 9-10 id pay a cool 200 for or more it seeing as how it should now be hung in a art gallery and gawked at. of course brand names like haley, sivious etc would require more money but would be well worth it.

to date the only painted minis ive ever bought were offa ebay when a guy was just trying to get rid of them and wasnt really charging for the paint job and at a local store when i bought 2 fully painted warzone minis for $4 bucks each! cuz a guy sold his army to them at a cheap price, they doubled it and were selling it off. also i really dont have to worry bout playing with what i painit since i dont play i just paint and collect. i think it would be nice to own some \"originals\" from others. specially ones you talked to and left comments on online.

We sell minis weekly on E-bay. We try to to put up 10-12 auctions per week, consisting of Warhammer, Reaper, Confrontation, Celtos, Chainmail, etc. We try to put out a variety. We typically get about 20-30 bucks per mini, sometimes more and sometimes less. Paint job quality is important, but so is the playability of the mini. A great paint job on an unplayable mini won\'t necessarily sell well.
    There are two types of mini sellers. just like there are 2 types of buyers. Some sellers, like myself, paint for the gamer. We typically average between 6 and 7 on CMON. However, I rarely spend more than 2 hours on a mini...usually much less and paint several minis at a time. Then there are what I consider the artists. They would rate in the 8+ category and usually you\'ll see them only selling 1 mini a week, if that. The gamers buy from painters like myself, while the true collectors buy from the premier painters. Wightzomie...if you\'ll pay 50 bucks for a 6, you\'re quite generous. Most average (5-6)minis go for 10-15 bucks. Obviously, the seller\'s reputation and \"presence\" on E-bay comes into play as well. A new painter on e-bay can\'t expect to earn as much per mini because they haven\'t attracted a following yet and the buyers may not be willing to risk high bids on a new seller. Hope that helps, Sturmhalo.

This is interesting! I have reasently discovered the phenomena with the trading and selling of miniatures and the first impression is that everything seems all natural. There will always be Collectors i every corner of the world, and if you can by a painting then you can surely by a painted mini. I am thinking about testing this selling thing myself but have come to the conclusions that my fellowpainter before me printed. People need to know my craft of work to buy. And of course the more popular the model, the better it will sell. Now, i would not buy any models from another person because I paint myself, but if I were a person with money, no time and a urge for minis... :D

People think Im insane when I say I need a minimum of $100.00 to paint a character model with a detailed base. Im not just slapping paint here..
    Dragon Forge Design, you hit it on the head. Several friends have said to me \"these are good, you should sell them on eBay or something\". But, while I think I\'m a competent painter, I doubt that I could get anything close to what my time is \"worth\" by selling painted minis! If a friend wanted me to paint something for them, I\'d charge maybe a token $5 each for a couple of individual character models, plus the cost of the figures. I wouldn\'t \"make any money\" off of the transaction. Even a friend couldn\'t pay me enough to do RaF on a large number of troops, I hate the tedium of it.

Plus, once I paint a mini, it\'s personal. I\'d hate to sell one to some stranger who might mistreat it :)

(not looking at the crappy mini\'s I posted here)
    I have some mini\'s that I could sell for a good amount of money on ebay, but I can\'t bring myself to doing so I like them too much.
    Any1 else have the same thing?????

I know what you mean Wolfsbane! It\'s like they\'re family!
    Everyone outside of the hobby thinks I should sell them - but for me (who games with them) it\'s like selling chess pieces. without them, you can\'t play chess.

Though all that said I recently bought duplicates of some figures - I may paint them all up at the same time and sell those kinds of things. (they were .75 a piece so . . .)

I used to have silly regrets about selling some of my painted minis. Until I realized I could buy at least 10 more unpainted versions of the exact same mini with the proceeds of selling one painted version! Doh! Have a favorite painted mini? Paint it again, you\'ll probably make improvements on it. Make your hobby pay for itself.

doppelganger

I\'m willing to pay (and have paid) up to $300 for a very well painted character figure and up to $500 for an absolutely awesome cavalry figure. These are for figures that exactly match characters from RPGs, though, and not just any old figures.

Blog Entries

Hrm, seems there\'s more money to be made in the business than I figured. If someone\'s willing to throw tons of cash upon me, I\'d gladly be willing to churn out some solid paintjobs.

Please do, because I\'m broke ;) :D

Default How does ebay actually work?

Hi... Im a total newbie to ebay (and to this great site as well), and I am wondering how ebay actually works? How do I sell (or buy) miniatures here?
    Please tell, as im broke too :D

Default ebay

First sign up on ebay. It\'s free.
    Second, take a picture of whatever you want to sell. Digital camera is best. Scanner second. Somehow you have to upload your picture on the internet (ebay\'s hosting or link to some other site).
    The better the picture, the better the price (generally).
    Ebay is really quite simple. Just follow the buttons (buying selling search etc.) Showing multiple pictures is more complex, but that\'s the basics.

Sturmhalo

Default Selling on Ebay

Signing up is the hardest part I think! I had to get a credit card (always said I wouldn\'t!) just so I could register as I have a free e-mail account. Even when I did open an account that was linked to our ISP, bloody thing wasn\'t recognised by the Ebay registration system! Still, after all that hassle, actually using Ebay is very easy. Though I\'m still getting to grips with the way they charge for their services! ???