Zab's Damn it to hell! WIP - Page 9
Page 9 of 134 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Zab's Damn it to hell! WIP

Thanks! I am once again surprising myself with this celtic thing. Letting go and just painting without a real plan on a tight timeline is actually kind of fun. I wouldn't always like to do it but lack of time to think and just quickly research and lay down paint seems to take the fear out of messing up. As does not really trying for realism, but just a cool look.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Like a daemon. I swear.
    Name:  ShieldCM.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  176.3 KB
    Name:  IvyCM.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  114.7 KB
    Name:  DirtCM.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  192.3 KB
    Name:  Dirt&Rust1CM.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  208.8 KB
    Name:  ShieldDirtIvyOverviewCM.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  218.2 KB
    Name:  SkullEyesCM.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  124.7 KB
    Now I have to do up a test rock to try out my lichen on in case it doesn't look right. I don't want to ruin what I have so far.

Why you no try sponge technique before all the highlights, Zab? But still good work so far! I would push the brownish dirt a bit more since in some shots it's very faint- I know, the color looks a bit more blue in some and that knocks it back.

I may still push the highlights on the stone further. Maybe...If I'm not too chicken...which I am. Also, there will be texture to the lichen so I'm gonna have to try a bunch of crap from toothpicks to sponges to stippling (I may have actually found a use for those crappy stippling brushes GW sells ) I'm kinda out in the dark blundering around on this one - it's actually really fun I may push the dirt more too, but I want to see if the lichen brings out some of the greens and blues that are in there already before that.

Blog Entries

What Chrispy said.

Plus some Vallejo smoke just to give it some more texture and dirt? And then come back in with some blue grey to purple? That larger lichen picture is actually really great. I wish i could get my photos to show colors like that! Do you have access to Reaper paints? Their olive green triad and maybe military blue triad might be nice. the blue is Templar blue, Breonne blue and Ashen blue. the Olive green is muddy olive, olive green, and pale olive. Pale olive its the one you want for that green LICHEN. I am awaiting 'Old Death' for Australia. I should get my own WIP going. And quit lurking in yours, lol
    Last edited by Demihuman; 10-26-2013 at 12:16 AM.

Eh- I wouldn't invest the money in a GW product that can be made from a worn brush, cutting and a bit of glue. Sea sponges are pretty cheap and can be found in most hardware stores now. Failing that, ripping bits off of an old foam blister insert will come in handy. I know they have makeup brushes for stippling, but I think those would be big for mini work, but maybe spot on for this. Sounds like you've got a lot of trial and error ahead of you- THEN you get to paint a fianna to top it off!

Oh yeah, there is more texture and dirt coming! I will be making a trip to Curry's for some water based oils and I have the whole range of the new GW paints which thank god have tons of greenish browns and greys. Also some nice blues and blue greys and even some of those red/orange browns. By the end of this project i will literally be able to say i have found a use for all 145 paints in their range this year. As for the stippling brush; I got one from them a long time ago during a local competition and found it too stiff and clumpy to use for stippling but this may actually be a great use for it (well, for the clumpy texture anyway). I have tons of foam and sponges to rip up and even some very small disposable makeup sponges on sticks for really fine sponging - like on 32mm space marine armor (The wife keeps wondering where the hell they keep going - teeheehee). I snagged the Fianna on a lucky late night bout of insomnia.

GOod start Zab and some nice suggestions coming in. One thing to think about is the inset diamond shape on the forehead. The texture in that area seems to scream for something more as it seems rougher than the rest.

Thats cool

I'VE ADDED WEBCAM LESSONS NOW TOO!
    And a YOUTUBE channel
    Instagram and FaceBook too

Thanks Tommie. Krule the internet seems to have swallowed my previous comment (I'm sure it will show up later and make me look like an ass). It was something to the effect of: those recessed areas will get more blue/purple or more dirt like behind the cheekbones, but I am open to other suggestions. I may also push the final highlights all the way up to almost white on this one like i see being done everywhere else. I just want to wait until after the lichen is placed so i don't do a bunch of work only to cover it up with moss. I did some shopping today and got some tamiya smoke, clear green and clear yellow to go with my clear red. Those last 2 are for a lictor diorama I have planned in the future based on Helion Rain. I also got some reeves water based oils 12 x 10ml tubes for like $7 CAD and finally managed to pick up some testors dullcote since i want to seal some of my display minis and have a fear of frosting since krylon changed their matte formula and betrayed me. I have never heard of anyone getting betrayed by testors. The lichen tests will commence tonight!!!!

***Edit***
    Let Test Number 1 commence! Bring forth the victims of the Texture test...
    Name:  TestRocksCM.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  96.5 KB
    Show them the implements...
    Name:  LichenToolsCM.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  88.4 KB
    And let them taste the palette of doom...
    Name:  LichenPaletteCM.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  109.0 KB
    Show them what they will look like when we are done.
    Name:  RefSourceCM.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  113.1 KB
    BEGIN with the BASEST OF TESTS!!!!!
    Name:  TextureStipple1BaseCM.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  106.9 KBName:  TextureToothpickBaseCM.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  110.6 KB
    Name:  TextureStipple2BaseCM.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  110.0 KBName:  TextureSpongeBaseCM.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  113.8 KB
    Now let us view the full horror of Test Number 1.
    Name:  LichenTextureBrownCM.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  94.9 KB
    Name:  LichenTextureGreenCM.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  94.8 KB
    Name:  LichenTextureOrangeCM.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  96.2 KB
    Name:  LichenTextureBlueCM.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  87.0 KB
    WAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Can you tell it's late and I'm punchy? I'll review in the morning with more sleep. I think they started weak, but got good after washes and all that. The best textures to me are the toothpick and the blister foam. Best colors are the green and the orange.
    Last edited by Zab; 10-27-2013 at 01:10 AM. Reason: test #1 complete

Zab, looking a nice effect, but before you go "Weapons Hot" on the skull do a check on where lichen grow in real life.
    Some like shaded areas some like light, but few grow on areas where wear and tear occurs.
    Also mineral staining' aka Oil washes, be very frugal and careful with them remember that you're emulating water runs, which always finds the path of least resistance. So don't be tempted to make straight lines going over sculpted areas when the water would flow around the edges.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Agreed. Given the nice pattern on the skull the less is more approach may be employed to most forms of weathering. Now to try some tests without texture...

The stipling brush doesn't look bad either. I can see all the colors working for different bases. But agree the orange and green are the nicest. You may want tolook at the colors you used on the mini before deciding which lichen/algae you want to add. I.e. carry some of the minis colors into the base.

I'd have to agree that the olive greens look good oranges are nice, but I also like that Gauss blaster green for some reason. When I was little and living in Germany I remember the stones would have a whiteish, dry lichen that was easily broken. But for the most part, I remember the green moss/ fungus that was really green and slippery to try and walk on. Also remember that some lichens have more texture to them. Maybe some crushed leaves or flock could help create that texture? Something to consider.
    And you've probably googled a lot of stuff already, but:
    http://waynesword.palomar.edu/pljan98b.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lichen

You two made good points. Krule, i do need to bring some of the color from her onto the base. I constantly overlook that when i do bases and minis separate so thanks for reminding me. I was going to make her clothing (minimal though it may be) a pale blue or green so maybe i should have some patches of the gauss blaster green that you like, Chrispy. And Yeah, I think some of the lichen need to be more like thick moss in certain areas. Here are my 3 main reference pics:
    Wet,Clumpy,Colorful.
    Name:  A-Scottish-valley-wallpaper.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  117.2 KB
    Dry,Fine,Muted.
    Name:  dry lichen.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  164.2 KB
    Pretty little flowers.
    Name:  Flowers on moss.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  63.0 KB
    If i have time i may do something like this last one in one of the eye sockets and make some tiny flowers out of wire and paper. Just for a touch of life.

The Army Painter flowers would ork well for hat as well.

Ugh. That was a surprising amount of work. Here are a few more tests. Think I'm almost done. I do have one more test rock but I'm not sure i need to test further. May just play with the tamiya smoke and oils on that one for fun.

Here are the smooth samples with no texture, most were sponged on but one use a brush...
    Name:  LichenSmoothBlueCM.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  154.7 KBName:  LichenSmoothOrangeCM.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  145.7 KB
    Name:  LichenSmoothGreenCM.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  136.7 KBName:  LichenSmoothBrownCM.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  137.2 KB
    I still don't fancy the citadel stippling brush. Much prefer my old cut down sable hairs to whatever that one is made of. I like the blue and the brown from the smooth batch.
    And here are the moss like heavily textured ones...
    Name:  LichenHeavyTextureBlueCM.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  151.0 KB
    Name:  LichenHeavyTextureOrangeCM.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  157.4 KB
    Name:  LichenHeavyTextureGree&BrownCM.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  118.3 KB
    I like the texture of the green the most from these. The blue is okay, but lends itself best to the smooth application. The red and brown would be good for hanging moss if i could the fibers all going the same way. I'm anal retentive enough to do it, but not for this project. The texture isn't right for this type or moss/lichen. SO I think i am ready to start on the skull tomorrow or Tuesday. Need a break first.

I like how that Zandri Dust is looking, Zab! Also, to get the fibers all one way, maybe all you have to do is use a stiff brush?
    I applaud your rigorous testing, me- I'd have probably gone straight to the project and had to start over 2-3 times.

Lichen Approved! Indeed, thorough testing should be applauded, I would've gone at it just like that, using mostly weathering powders.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Oh man Chrispy, how would i start over on this? No, best to be OCD about this one. Meph funny you should mention powders, I was playing around with my new water mixable oils and powders that i got from earth pigments last night. I'll post some more pics tonight