Zab's Damn it to hell! WIP - Page 18
Page 18 of 134 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast

Thread: Zab's Damn it to hell! WIP

Looking good Zab! I feel your pain over the batch painting business: I've managed to complete one cultist squad from the DV box set and the rest has been slowly inching its way towards my cupboard of shame. I love the small conversions you did to yours - the head and weapon swaps really fit with the characters of the miniatures and enhance the squad as a whole I feel; makes me want to revisit my cultists and hack away at them. That might be quite cathartic actually...

Keep up the good

Hacking away at hated models feels good, that is true. They are also fun to experiment with. Here is the next stage with mine. They have now been shaded using various secret weapon washes. I broke one of my rules here with these since I was playing and wanted to see how they behaved. So I let them pool. I also thinned them with water, mixed them with paint, thinned them with medium, used them full strength and a bunch of other things too. It was fun since you can't really screw up cultists as there is no uniformity or order on them. Secret weapon washes have viscosity somewhere between ink and other typical washes out there. If you over thin them with water and let them pool they will separate into their constituent pigments and leave interesting colors in places almost like using dry pigments. The green black actually left a yellowish brown in some recesses. Next up with be another layer of highlights and some very dark shades in the recesses to push the contrast a bit. As far as batch painting goes I forgot how sloppy and quick you can be with tabletop jobs in the early stages and it's been kind of liberating and quick.
    Name:  ShootyGroupAShadedCM.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  125.5 KBName:  ShootyGroupBShadedCM.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  131.5 KB
    Name:  ChoppyGroupAShadedCM.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  117.3 KBName:  ChoppyGroupBShadedCM.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  135.9 KB
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

https://linktr.ee/AlmostPerftec

There are some good results there Zab, Makes me want to buy a bunch of mini's and go nuts! I might have to keep an eye on ebay/trademe for a deal to liberate myself. I fell I need to adjust my level a bit more minis and less time, I get bogged down in the smallest things and miss the big picture and near the end its hard to finish them as I have lost the drive for that paticulat mini. having a few on the go has helped. I gave Mike the two Black templars for his birthday so I should get the pics I got up.
    Keep up the good work, happy new year mate.

Looking good my friend. I think I like the pirate looking one with the tentacle arm the best.

I liek the guy with the gas mask and mini gun. I had a fun time yesterday me and my brother went mad and painted 4 descent mini's in 3 hours they came out pretty good, nothing uber just pretty good. when I have a chance I will take some shots and add em to my wip.

Thanks guys! Never let it be said cultists were boring. Home stretch.

I finished off the heavy weapon to make me feel like i was getting somewhere.
    Name:  AutoGunFinalCM.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  124.2 KBName:  HeavyFlamerFinalCM.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  119.9 KB
    And now it's just details and bases for the cultists themselves. They are really shiny right now and will look far better once they get hit with a matte coat.
    Name:  ChoppyGroupAHighligtedCM.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  133.1 KBName:  ChoppyGroupBHighlightedCM.jpg
Size:  133.0 KB
    Name:  ShootyGroupAHighlightedCM.jpg
Size:  132.9 KBName:  ShootyGroupBHighlightedCM.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  133.0 KB
    After these guys are done I'll be finishing the painting of doors and trim in the basement. I promise to post pics of that for sure!!!! And then I'll be working on Alice from Tale of War.

Looking really good Zab, you missed one of the brand marks on the top left cultist in the last row of pictures but like how you've done the rest
    Wargames Terrain Workshop
    Home of High Quality Gaming boards, Scenery and Miniature Sculpting

Contact us @ wargamesterrainworkshop@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks man, nice catch!

No problem, how did you do your brands ?

I used Gorthor Brown from GW mixed with Secret Weapon Pink and Ruby in various ratios and applied it in very thin layers over the areas and built it up more around the actual brands themselves. Unless you mean the sculpting, in which case they came like that

Thanks Zab, I have a set that at some point I need to paint. Thinking 2020 should be good ! LOL

Like the tracer rounds on the heavy bolter...

Nice work
    work is boring when it gets in the way of my painting.

Here is where they were a few days ago I actually finished them and then proceeded to ruin them by frosting them with vallejo matte through the airbrush.
    Name:  ChoppyGroupAFinCM.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  120.0 KBName:  ChoppyGroupNFinCM.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  123.4 KB
    Name:  ShootyGroupAFinCM.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  126.7 KBName:  ShootyGroupBFinCM.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  132.2 KB
    I salvaged them as much as possible and will have final pics in a bit. I could got back and gloss them then respray flat, but they are gaming minis so I just don't care. I feel like I am just using them as experiments and then shoving them out of the way. kind of going through the motions because I hate not finishing a project. This has also prompted me to take the plunge and this spring I will be selling or trading ALL my terrain and GW armies (maybe not my Dark Angels, but I might). I'm just not a gamer anymore and can't be bothered with batch painting. I much prefer to try my best on each mini I paint and make it special. Speaking of...
    After the cultists I will take a break from the DV set again to work on this lady:
    Name:  Alice&BaseReady4PrimeCM.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  80.3 KB
    Here is a look at her base with sand (need to add texture to it) drifting over the broken concrete:
    Name:  SandDryCUsCM.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  121.2 KB
    The Lady Inquisitor is a fan of the RE series of games and movies (RE 5 was so good on co-op and kept her mind off how uncomfortable she was while prego - don't judge me - the family that slays together, stays together) so It's about time I did a tribute to it.
    She will be based on the art work for Resident Evil: Extinction A few of my ref pics here:
    Name:  alice CU.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  53.3 KBName:  REE.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  45.5 KB
    Name:  reesctech.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  39.5 KBName:  poster.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  37.2 KB
    Cheers!
    Last edited by Zab; 01-19-2014 at 07:08 PM.

Good choice for subject matching.
    Can't be bothered with computer games or movie seties like thid but look forward to the paint .
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Blog Entries

They look great, highlights are nice!

I respect the doneness, but what about just checking out a couple of red brown shadows before you put these guys away? I actually really like these models and I imagine them in the hot, dank, subterranean, industrial ghetto of a hive world. You have lots of blues and greens and your little spots of red are already popping. Maybe just add some warm brown shadows and see if it doesn't look nice... then just do it 19 more times. LOL

the metal really did it on those cultists, looks good mate!

ah, Resident Evil. kind of like the movies, the awesome juggernauts turn me on a bit lol. its sad that Milla Joyovovovischsomethingsomething is the most horrible horrible HORRIBLE actress in the world though.
    ...keep talking
    Forever remains

Instagram

Nice looking project there Zab, shame on the cultists

Nice project, is the model actually of Alice from RE or is it just an extremely similar model? Either way can't wait to see it...base already looks awesome!