Zab's Damn it to hell! WIP

Thread: Zab's Damn it to hell! WIP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Zab's Damn it to hell! WIP

You have inspired me to start a WIP thread of my own. You know who you are - Damn you all to hell. I don't have time for this! What am I doing?! ~sigh ~ Here we go...

I am currently working on my DV boxed set and recently started to use my air brush from more than just priming and sealing. It rocks! Here's the basecoat and highlights on my chosen and helbrute which I decided to do as Night Lords...
    Name:  NightLordsBlueAirbrushFront.jpg
Views: 6374
Size:  266.1 KB
    I also used silly putty to mask the armored areas of the helbrute while I did the skin/mutations, another first...
    Name:  HellbrutePostSillyputty.jpg
Views: 5832
Size:  285.0 KB
    Not too shabby. Lets jump to how they look now or this opening post will take forever...
    Name:  ChosenBoneWIP1.jpg
Views: 5556
Size:  244.2 KB
    Name:  HelBruteBoneWIP.jpg
Views: 5469
Size:  275.4 KB
    I am doing something different with these from my normal "finish one area at a time" thing. I am highlighting everything up to a REALLY stark highlight and then knocking them all back down with controlled glazes and shades so I can see the progress of the whole unit in shocking clarity or I will get bored and stop. This box set will be my last army. I don't play anymore and I just want to paint cool minis, so soon I'll be selling off the old armies and terrrain & buying more cabinets to display what I paint.

On that note! I entered a contest over at brush brothers and sisters (A German forum, BTW Google translate butchers that language in a horribly hilarious way. Pretty sure no one is having the same conversation over there with anyone else unless they are fluent in German) where you pick your favorite fairy tale and paint up a mini of it. So I, or rather, my daughter (The Agent of Chaos as I'll usually refer to her) picked the scene from Sleeping Beauty where the prince fights the dragon on that ledge...
    Name:  sleeping-beauty-dragon.jpg
Views: 6013
Size:  74.3 KB
    But I like to try new things to push my painting since I got bored with 40k (still my first love though) and I'm going to try doing it in a chibi-like style. Here's the rough layout so far...
    Name:  SleepingChibi.jpg
Views: 5649
Size:  245.5 KB
    Name:  SleepingBeautyDragonFightLayout.jpg
Views: 5521
Size:  248.6 KB
    Name:  SleepingBeautyBaseFoamWIP.jpg
Views: 5423
Size:  271.9 KB
    Name:  SleppingBeautyFoamWIP2.jpg
Views: 5390
Size:  241.0 KB
    And of course I have to do a test mini to see what painting a chibi figure is like right? RIGHT?! Yeah, any excuse to buy a cool mini. So here is where I am at with Vendella from SDE...
    Name:  VendellaNMMGoldWIP.jpg
Views: 5321
Size:  237.2 KB
    I'm also trying something new with this one. No pre made shades or glazes. I will use the colors from the basecoats and highlights mixed with darker colors and thinned. I'm also going to try my hand at some NMM gold since it feels more cartoony and will still look okay if I mess it up a bit with harsh blends in the chibi style.

So that's it for now. Pretty decent intro post I think. I look forward to hearing from you all.

P.S. - Damn you all to hell.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Blog Entries

excellent intro into your WIP and some nice stuff you are working on. I like the sleeping beauty scene a lot.

YAY ZAB! Your off to a great start, my friend. I'll be joining you in the SD chibi thing too, as SD Guts and SD cat girl just arrived today.

Looking foward to more

Moe
    "I was too distracted by the ladies to be scared of your bear. That is the second weirdest sentence I have ever typed on this site o_O"- Zab

"Paint flavored coffee is the bestest!"-me

Brush Brother Moetle

Take a peek you might learn something or teach me something :-)

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...tic-Wonderland

Thanks! That's cool, SDE are fun little minis. They are shockingly small! A few things as a heads up if you have never bought SDE minis before: They come pre-assembled and with a bunch of mold lines and a bit of super glue hazing.
    Name:  SDE Vendella & Box.jpg
Views: 5342
Size:  234.3 KB
    I had to get out the super glue uncuring stuff to take her apart so I could prep her properly. Also, get a new blade for your knife cause they are made of a weird soft plastic that is hard to sand and file. Once I was done cleaning Vendella I actually had to do a few thinned washes of liquid GS to even out some of the imperfections.
    Name:  VendellaPrepped.jpg
Views: 5229
Size:  219.4 KB
    Honestly, a real bee-atch to prep - still super fun to paint though!

All good stuff
    Loving the sleeping beauty dio (the little knight from Runic is a fav of mine) I would move the knight a bit closer to the dragon and decrease the overall base size.
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Thanks! I'm no where near as good as a lot of you on here, but I want to get away from army painting and get back into fun stuff like the sleeping beauty scene and single minis to expand my painting skills. I have picked up so many valuable tricks just seeing other people's work that I felt it was time to start the thread of my own.

Great dio, but those scouts are dead. Don't give up on the vids, I rather enjoyed it. For some reason I thought you'd have a deeper voice
    "I was too distracted by the ladies to be scared of your bear. That is the second weirdest sentence I have ever typed on this site o_O"- Zab

"Paint flavored coffee is the bestest!"-me

Brush Brother Moetle

Take a peek you might learn something or teach me something :-)

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...tic-Wonderland

You know it Canny! Moe, They are soooooo dead. In my head I sound like this:

Good news! The NOVA Open Charitable Foundation is holding it's yearly raffle for some great armies. $1 for a ticket and you can help a bunch of great causes! Plus, there are some pretty good lookin' people helping out this year and there is still time to sign up to help paint the armies being raffled if you feel like donating your time and skills instead of just the moneys!

It begins. Paint to minis. I did the faces first because everything else on the 2 scouts will be pretty similar but the skin tones need to be a bit different as Raven Guard get paler skin and darker eyes the further along their post human enhancement is.
    Name:  ScoutFaceFinalCM.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  60.2 KBName:  SGTFaceFinalCM.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  51.9 KB
    Not a bad start for about 30 min each. Tweaks later, you know how it is
    Last edited by Zab; 04-02-2014 at 03:24 PM.

Nice start Zab, will you be doing the lictor as if it's emerging from chameleon state or fully emerged ?
    Wargames Terrain Workshop
    Home of High Quality Gaming boards, Scenery and Miniature Sculpting

Contact us @ wargamesterrainworkshop@yahoo.co.uk

I think I'll initially paint him up as full on but then go back and over paint parts to look as though he is partially camo'd so maybe legs and a bit of his carapace or shoulders. Might be a lighter variant of Kraken to fit with the description from Helion rain.

liking where this terrain idea is heading.

Thanks! Speaking of terrain, there is some more up on eBay if you guys want it or know anyone who does. Cheap, well painted and in good shape for gaming:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/291120121151?...84.m1558.l2649

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/291120116258?...84.m1558.l2649