Zab's Damn it to hell! WIP - Page 2
Page 2 of 134 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Zab's Damn it to hell! WIP

Nice work Zab. Every now and then it's good to get a change from green armour and white robes...

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
    Anime eyes defy reason in approaching them. They're very tough to get
    I think they are not that tough , They *are* highly abstract and 99% are the same.
    what I do: oval gradient in the middle, then black inside it, finally 2 white glares (similar to the one here is the eye is half closed, the smalled dot on the bottom part if it's fully open)

and yes, not only was Dash in this case a great reference, but also the painted mini looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    As you can see I chickened out on the cell shading.
    I think it's better this way. I've tried the cell-shading on a few of the SDE-box figures, didn't work quite right, so back to the 'usual' painting method.
    The closest I had success with cell-shade-like shading was with the fluttershy figure, and even there I had to blur the transitions to make it look better.

Thanks RayzrYR, yeah I am not looking forward to that other half of my DV box and I'm not even done with the Chosen or cultists o_O Why did I choose a split scheme chapter?! Oh well, at least purple was a forgiving color to work with on this one! MAXXxxx, that Fluttershy mini is great! Yellow is tough to work with at the best of times, but to try cell shading? You are nuts, but I like it. Whatever I decide, I might have to stick with NMM on the knight just to make it more cartoony. I'm not sure TMM would work for a Chibi figure...
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

What the hell, I threw her up for voting. Gotta bulk out that gallery with some non-40k right?

http://www.coolminiornot.com/333585

Cheers! Back to the sleeping chibi, some pirates for the folks at the office and ugh, yes even the DV Chosen...

She looks great! Keep it up man.
    "I was too distracted by the ladies to be scared of your bear. That is the second weirdest sentence I have ever typed on this site o_O"- Zab

"Paint flavored coffee is the bestest!"-me

Brush Brother Moetle

Take a peek you might learn something or teach me something :-)

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...tic-Wonderland

A little progress. Minis for the sleeping chibi contest entry are ready for priming...
    Name:  DragonReadysmall.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  107.1 KB
    Name:  Knight&SkullsReadysmall.jpg
Views: 1071
Size:  101.9 KB
    With all this pinning I am starting to see how Vlad The Impaler got carried away. It's kinda fun.

Nice, You can easily see how the metal/ highlights will shine from the pics of the knight, good refernce pic .

I think I will have to get some corks and paper clips, blue tack and dowel only work for the big stuff.

how hard would it be to adjust the tail of the dragon? So its sticks out behind him a little more?
    On a side note I think your dragon needs a bath and some deodorant looking a bit green there . . nice putty work.

that knight is so cute i just wanna eat him!

Thanks! Yeah Canny, I was going to hack off his tail and pin and sculpt to reposition it, but I like how it curves towards the knight and follows the same lines and "direction" as the neck (not that you can see it from that angle). It looks more aggressive, but the other way would the more in keeping with the artwork. I have quite some time before I get around to priming them so I may still change my mind. Also great tip on the reflections on the armour! It so obvious, but I always over look it and then curse and swear as I stress about where to put them I know, Skelettes! Runic has a couple of really cute minis. They remind me of the characters from the kids show Mike the Knight (which I loathe, BTW). I also got the princess that goes with him and may do her up with a bunch of baby dragons from the SDE expansion Dragon's Clutch.

Blog Entries

I am anxious to see this scene start coming together, it is such a great idea.

Nice Zab! And voted on purple...uh...girl? She looks very nice!

And pinning is for the birds! Give me superglue and baking soda any day of the week. lol! I swear, I could rule the world with that stuff. hehe! But great dragon and I have to agree, nice putty work. FAR better than mine. While superglue and baking soda is my superhero sidekick. Epoxy is my arch fiend nemesis. GRRRRRR! HISS! SPIT!

Thanks Milosh. I'm full of good ideas, let's hope I don't fail on the execution. Thank you Kath, guess what I found? My silicon colour shapers! The cat had knocked them down beside my desk and the wall (Stupid jerk cat) so when I was spring cleaning I found them and my GS work was super smooth and easy - this time!

Whoo hoo! See kitty was just making sure they were tucked safely away for when you needed them.

If you have not yet seen the Sad Cat Diary on YouTube. You must watch ASAP! lol!

My Tigger kitty has suddenly started throwing a fit meowing like he's going to DIE at any second. As the Sad Cat does, he sits by the door and sings the song of his people.

I have see it. I pee'd little I laughed so hard. Maybe I should see a doctor about that?

What laughing at the cat vid or laughing so hard you peed a little? Meh, what the hell we're all getting old any way. Pretty soon, we'll have a herd making a mad dash for the Depends in the store.

And the next young un who says anything...I will beat them with my cane.

~sigh~ Finally, some time to update. Real life was kicking my butt -_-
    My cat of 13 years, Milo, died - and in a very flattering turn of events he came home to do it. I let him out Wednesday morning and kinda accepted that I may never see him again - you know, the old warrior wandering off into the forest for one last epic quest? He was pretty weak (heart failure), but I'll be damned if I'm going to deny a dying man his last wish. Friday evening he came home barely able to walk, sat in his favourite spot under my bed and passed away within 15 minutes. The whole family misses him, but at least we got to say goodbye and I am optimistic that we will have a lovely cat tree next year in the garden where I planted him o_O

Okay, enough sad news. Work continues slowly on the sleeping chibi entry...
    I carved out the base and got some putty to start laying on the texture...
    Name:  Cliff&ApoxieSculptCMON.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  94.8 KB
    I procured these highly specialized tools to create texture. They are called ROCKS.
    Name:  RocksCMON.jpg
Views: 970
Size:  105.5 KB
    I'm pretty sure that is some kind of acronym for some technical sculpting term. Very expensive, but useful too
    Anyway, I'm almost done adding texture to the cliff...
    Name:  TextureCMON.jpg
Views: 975
Size:  94.3 KB
    Name:  MoreTextureCMON.jpg
Views: 978
Size:  125.8 KB
    And no, I haven't even primed the minis yet. I got distracted by the Chosen. I have finally shaded them down to where I want them and now it's just details, final highlights and bases.
    Name:  ChampTorsoShadedCMON.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  73.7 KB
    I like my Night Lords like I like my chocolate; dark and bitter.
    Name:  Chosen2ShadedCMON.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  80.4 KB
    This next guy makes me laugh...
    Name:  Chosen4ShadedCMON.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  84.8 KB
    How me throw grenades? HOW?
    Name:  HellbruteShadedCMON.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  105.4 KB
    I also finished my pirate avatars for the office crew so I should be able to focus on the sleeping chibi and Night Lords fairly well now. And I may have ordered some earth pigments and a large scale space marine from Forge World to play with at some point in the future. I think we all know who is to blame for that impending disaster

Blog Entries

The cliff is looking excellent, nice work on the texture of it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Canny View Post
    how hard would it be to adjust the tail of the dragon? So its sticks out behind him a little more?
    It's not hard to adjust this material. Dip it in some boiling water for 20-30 seconds then put it in the position you want and dunk in cool water to lock it in place. I had to do this with some of the skull bats from the Von Drakk kit and the boiling water trick works a treat!

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

I'm sorry to hear about the kitty, but at least he had a long life.
    You can also use tin foil for texture.. or tinfoil over rocks to keep it from sticking. I would think with all those little areas something would catch and be pulled. Nightlords are looking good so far. I think out of all the chaos marines I like them visually the best, as everyone does the lightning freehand to different degrees- plus, they're a legion meant to be scary so there's almost an element of Halloween with them.

Thank you Milosh and thanks Bloodhowl, I never thought of the boiling water trick. I was thinking hack and slash and putty. Good to know there is an alternative! Thanks for the condolences Chrispy. I just coat the rocks in water and press away - seems to work okay for now. The tinfoil is another good tip! I will still add lightening to the Night Lords, but the overall trend is darker and dirty. I like the image ADB paints of them in his novels; dark, kinda run-down, evil and a little desperate.