Zab's Damn it to hell! WIP - Page 8
Page 8 of 134 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Thread: Zab's Damn it to hell! WIP

Yeha loving those eyes! nice work on getting the dot of reflection in there too. Smooth transition of the bone to skin also.

Thanks all! It's been fun to this point. The base is going to be a bitch. I think I need to bring the highlights up more to keep it looking cartoony like the stone the dragon is standing on. Almost done though so it's time to slow down and not rush through and ruin it.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

The dragon is looking slick, Zab.. I picked up a Reaper Shadow Dragon that I might enter in December as well.. Haven't even started on him tho..

Thanks Khonner, I love that Reaper Dragon - such a classic sculpt. You could just prime him pre-shade him and finish the work with a bunch of glazes then just pick out details. That usually goes pretty fast and looks nice too. Not that you should rush for the sake of a competition

Got the flames done and the dragon mounted on the base. Now I just have to shade that base down, attach the knight and skulls and do some OSL and tweaking. Crap, that actually sounds like a lot
    Name:  Dragon Mounted Alt1CM.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  132.7 KB
    Name:  Dragon Mounted Alt2CM.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  138.5 KB
    And another thrilling edition of "Stuf Wot I got"
    Female space marine?! Awesome.
    Name:  FemaleMarineCM.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  124.0 KB
    Chibi Primarches?!!!! AWESOMER!!!!!
    Name:  ChibiPrimarchsCM.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  157.5 KB
    I won't post where I got 'em from cause I don't want to help GW with their crusade to kill off cool minis they didn't think of first. If you are interested PM me and I can send you the link

Your Dio is looking fantastic Zab. Chibi primarchs are hilarious!
    "I was too distracted by the ladies to be scared of your bear. That is the second weirdest sentence I have ever typed on this site o_O"- Zab

"Paint flavored coffee is the bestest!"-me

Brush Brother Moetle

Take a peek you might learn something or teach me something :-)

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...tic-Wonderland

Blog Entries

Wot! October 17th already? Crap. I got the wings on my dragon. Mostly. Unless they flop off before the resin cures while I eat a sandwich. I might be entering in the single dragon category. Congrats on getting the dragon on there! I think the shading and OSL will go pretty quick. When do we get to see the knight on there? I have never been a huge fan of Chibi but i get it and anything that pokes fun at GW is cool. Female space marine on the other hand is totally bad-ass! Makes me want to put lady heads on some SM units and paint them up like Sisters of Battle! Maybe green stuff some boob armor over their eagles.

Thanks Moe! Yeah Demi, I never really got the chibi thing either, but painting them has been fun so I'm just gonna roll with it. As for your floppy wings? I think they have pills for that now I am staring at the base of this dragon and it's gonna take FOREVER to shade it back down. ~sigh~ Should have gone up. Oh well. The lady space marine may get a more SOB hair cut or maybe like the one The Lady Inquisitor has as an homage to her (also to keep her from killing me for all this new resin). I'm trying to suck Khonner into this dragon contest too. Share the stress right? Mu-wa hahahahahahahahaha

The flames are awesome. Dragons? Never would get one done in time. Not that I don't have a few to choose from.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Thanks! I think they'll really kick off when i darken the base and add the OSL. See my note about forever though

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    Chibi Primarches?!!!! AWESOMER!!!!!
    Name:  ChibiPrimarchsCM.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  157.5 KB
    I won't post where I got 'em from cause I don't want to help GW with their crusade to kill off cool minis they didn't think of first. If you are interested PM me and I can send you the link

I am slowly chipping away at the base of sleeping chibi . Toned it down a bit:
    Name:  BaseFirstWashCM.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  169.6 KB
    Not much to see really, but it will get a lot darker before I add the knight skulls or OSL.
    In other news it turns out that GW bought mother nature and in addition to gouging the Aussies for sketchy resin, they are also burning down their homes. No - not true, but there are some brush fires raging in Australia now and gohkm put up this post asking for help:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ushfire-Appeal
    I'm in. And here's where the project stand so far...
    Display cube stained. Just needs varnish now.
    Name:  DisplayBlockForFiannaSkullCM.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  70.3 KB
    The symbol is the Celtic symbol for Ivy which symbolizes growth, renewal, friendship, etc. Why that symbol? Here's the minis that will go on the base...
    Name:  Fianna&SkullPinnedCM.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  99.6 KB
    Oh hey look, I even found some ivy vines to go on it...
    Name:  BaseDetailsCM.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  104.1 KB
    And I went with a 2 toned priming job (which you can't make out here because of the shitty pics) black down under and white from above.
    Name:  FiannaDualPrimedCM.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  79.5 KB
    My plan is to finish the base first in case I screw up the Fianna (cause she's so damn tiny) at least it will still look sick and be ebay worthy. Oh, and remember how I mentioned sketchy resin? I painted this guy up about a year ago and look at the flop in his banner. I looked into my display cabinet and burst out laughing. I guess this is why they are slowly switching their new releases to plastic clampacks?! Nice quality control and testing on your Finecast, GW. Idiots.
    Name:  FinecastFlopCM.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  173.7 KB
    Cheers all!

Kewl- going to texture the skull so it looks like stone? Or is it some kinda inlaid skull of an elder Celtic god or something like that?
    And yeah- I did a facepalm when I saw the banner. This is why I'm not buying GW anymore.. that and evil prices. I bought plastic boxes with 20 figures in them for the price of one character nowadays!!

Wow yeah they are definatley cool minis. love em!

The dio is looking mint. silly floppy banner. Thanks for the advice too Zab. Must do work so I can get home mawhahaha

Zab, I'm not aware of any references to Celtic (or proto-Celtic) cultures decorating Skulks like that. I'm pretty sure that's solely a South American thing adopted into Latino american culture.

But stand gappy to be proven wrong.
    Last edited by Dragonsreach; 10-22-2013 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Typing bkibd on the touchpad and only two errors......getting better
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Thanks Canny. Yeah DR, I know what you mean. I bought it thinking it was a tiki skull and then closer inspection revealed that it was actually a knotwork pattern. So it gets to be on the block with the half nekkid celtic sword maiden. If we're gonna suspend disbelief, let's not hold back right? Chrispy, I'm planning to paint it as a big carved rock. Not sure I'll texture it but maybe i will sponge on some green over the pattern to make it look like there is some chipped paint still left on it.

looking great man! i am in love with those chibis!!!!
    i'd make you a sandwitch, but cannibalism is illegal in my country.
    WIP thread

Thanks meaty! So i got a bit more done on sleeping chibi but I am mainly working like a daemon on this Aussie relief mini.
    So now the cliff has some more tonal variation. At some point i will shade it down more and place the rest and do OSL.
    Name:  DragonBaseTonedCM.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  138.0 KB
    Name:  DragonBaseToned2CM.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  158.9 KB
    And I got the base of the Celitc piece built, primed and started painting...
    Name:  SkullOnBaseCM.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  197.7 KB
    Name:  SkullBasecoat&PreshadeCM.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  147.1 KB
    Name:  SkullDrybrush2CM.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  195.4 KB
    Name:  SkullBlendedCM.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  189.8 KB
    I'm gonna do the ruined shield, ivy and dirt tomorrow and then hopefully on sat i can add some lichen to it with some of those citadel textured paints mixed with the right colors kind a like these:
    Name:  lichen 1.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  773.6 KB
    Name:  lichen2.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  72.2 KB
    Also, i bought these. Please help. i can't stop myself. DR can you lock me out of the store or something? ~sigh~ I would miss you money, but these are so pretty.
    Name:  MaowMinisCM.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  77.0 KB

Zab, nice purchases. I'm tempted by the hooded girl myself.

Anyhiw this could be a good time to think about Water soluble Oils for wathering, that(those?) and MIG pigments should give enough 'texture' to be convincing.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Yeah I've been looking at those oils and some stuff from AK and Secret weapon. Sadly i have to get this done fast and don;t have time to order them. Luckily i have the pigments from earth pigments that i ordered a while ago. I can fudge the oil wash with some black, brown and a crap ton of medium. Then i just clean up the high areas with a dry q-tip. It tends to work okay, but no where near as good as what i have seen done with oils. I can't remember where i saw the water based stuff though, was it AK?

Blog Entries

the dragon scene is really coming along. Really looking forward to the finished piece. I am also looking forward to the piece for Australia.