Canny's WIP. New and hungry for imput.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canny's WIP. New and hungry for imput.

Default Canny's WIP. New and hungry for imput.

I have been amazed by the skill and finesse of people here on Cool mini and the hints and tips in the beginners area and all the articles.

my brother has purchased Descent and has started painting the mini's for that and my sisters partner has been painting ultra marines so I have started with 3 UMs that he gave me, they turned out ok.

My 1st project arrived last week, an Orc shaman from Avatars of War. He looks pretty cool but has a lot of details. These are freaking me out! What to do next!

I have painted the skin with a few layers, lights and darks. I'm pretty pleased with his face but I think he could look better. Im wondering if another colour, wash or glazing in the shadows? Maybe blue or purple?
    The black parts are primer, and white for pre highlights.

I would appreciate any comments on what extra I could do for the skin and the other area's. Im particulary in awe of 10 balls Wip of his orc but I just dont have that skill. With practice I think I will improve.

Name:  frontOSM.JPG
Views: 599
Size:  50.9 KBName:  backOSM.JPG
Views: 594
Size:  50.2 KBName:  SideOSM.JPG
Views: 602
Size:  54.0 KB
    Last edited by Canny; 05-29-2013 at 05:07 PM. Reason: extra info

With practice you *will* improve. Guys like 10 ball didn't start there - they've been at it for a long time.
    As for your orc - it's off to a good start. two things to look at with the skin - more contrast, and smoother blends. Both could be accomplished with a light touch of glaze, or revisiting the areas with some mixed shades. And remember that pictures are harsh reflections of what you're doing. They will pick up things you didn't or can't see in person.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Welcome, great mini and a great start
    You will find quickly that its all about contrast, contrast, contrast, go real dark in the deep shadows to near white (in some cases) on the extreme highlights. Because of the scale we paint at the contrasts have to be over stated and not realistic.
    Dont be afraid to add more colours to the skin, on mine there are oranges and blues. Go with very watered down paint to start and build up.
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

That's a strong start. Looks like you have solid brush control so that's a bonus right away.You could definitely push the contrast over all. Just be very controlled with the shadows and build them up slowly letting each layer dry completely before putting on another. You wouldn't think it but there is such a thing as one layer too dark. Purple is great for shading green, but so is red and yellow can really make the highlights pop. You could also use an almost human flesh tone for you highest flesh highlights and tint it with a glaze of your greens to bring it back in line. Don't be afraid to experiment especially on the flesh tones.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Thanks for the guidance Trystan, 10 Ball, and Zab. I have gone ahead and done some darker contrast, blazed through time and went to bed quite late last night.
    Name:  frontCU.JPG
Views: 512
Size:  64.4 KB

I mixed a glaze of purple and started with a few layers of that. then I mixed up a Blue one and layered it on creeping in to the lighter area's. His thumb near the rags looks a bit blue so I will have to soften that.
    I'm going to add some lighter tones next and fix afew over done blues. On the fix it list do you think the blue under his elbow is too much?

Name:  handCU.JPG
Views: 517
Size:  60.6 KB

Darker tones between knuckles and layers on bicep I'm quite pleased with
    Thank you for the CONTRAST hammer 10! I think hes looking a bit more exciting. The cloak looks average at the mo but I will come back to that.

Its my little girls 1st birthday tomorrow so I will update after the weekend.
    Last edited by Canny; 05-23-2013 at 06:12 PM.

definitely a step in the right direction. I like the stronger contrast. Maybe a light glaze of green to pull that blue back towards the skin color?
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Looking good! Don't build and paint up a blood angels rhino/razorback for her to play with like I did for my daughter. I found out the answer to: What hurts to step on more than Lego? That -_- Props to GW though, very solid kit.

if interested, i got my old ork wip here, might give you or hit or two... or at least perhaps some inspiration as said contrast is the key, and for shading i often use red, purple and browns for greenskins.
    Last edited by SkelettetS; 05-24-2013 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SkelettetS View Post
    if interested, i got my old ork wip here, might give you or hit or two... or at least perhaps some inspiration as said contrast is the key, and for shading i often use red, purple and browns for greenskins.
    Awesome work and nice WIP to reference, thank you. I have also been looking at 10 balls orc WIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Canny View Post
    Awesome work and nice WIP to reference, thank you. I have also been looking at 10 balls orc WIP.
    Careful you don't come down with a case of "pink knuckle". I kid, I kid. Actually, that sounds dirty I hope I didn't trip any mod filters...

great improvement, you can dilute your paints a bit more to have smoother blending, but already using purple in your shadow improves greatly your model! If you continue posting and asking questions, you will get great feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    Careful you don't come down with a case of "pink knuckle". I kid, I kid. Actually, that sounds dirty I hope I didn't trip any mod filters...
    A 7 day course of antibiotics works a treat
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Wink

So hes going to need some antibiotics hes come out in a pink/red rash. . .
    Name:  SOF290513.JPG
Views: 413
Size:  217.5 KB
    I while I was doing the skin tones I did his gums too. Also it was droped at the party so will have to sand and prime the staff again.
    Name:  SO290513.JPG
Views: 396
Size:  222.3 KB

The gums/lip on the lower left side maybe a bit too bright? makes it eye catching but is it too much?

On a side note the weekends 1st Birthday party was a success. plenty of happy little ones running around OH oH I also picked up a airbrush and made a Hungry catapilla cake which I sprayed with food colouring.

My Bubbas woken up so will psot a pick of that later.

Wow, those skin tones came out nice! I like the touch of red in his mouth. Looks infected with the gum disease GINGIVITIS. I think you are doing a bang up job on "Bleeding Gumz Murfee" here

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    Wow, those skin tones came out nice! I like the touch of red in his mouth. Looks infected with the gum disease GINGIVITIS. I think you are doing a bang up job on "Bleeding Gumz Murfee" here
    hahaha you're going to be Dr Zab soon with your diagnosis/diagnoses.

So a bit of progress in the last week.

Finished the skin. . . almost. Need to do his feet, the right one had a blob of metal on it that was hard to get rid of and lost some detail.
    Base coated the clothes and bag, not sure about the colour I mixed for his clothes as it looks a bit to yellow to me. A bit of work on the skulls and and bones. Finished the wrist cloth.

Name:  SOC.JPG
Views: 352
Size:  49.3 KB
    Taken at night so its not quite as bright as other pics. So my scribor mini arrived, its Dwarf Ducal #3. I thought I would have a crack at TMM following Iguazzu youtube vid, and looking at afew other tutes, but after looking at all this NMM Im a little tempted to try that too.

Name:  Ducal.JPG
Views: 342
Size:  71.7 KB

Have fun!

Try out the NMM! Scale 75 just released some sets specifically for that and some video tuts to go with it. I found the perfect thing to thin my paint with for smooth blends on NMM colours while I was working on Vandella. Tears of frustration No, it's fun. Give it a go.

Yep give NMM a go, takes lots of practice but looks great if you put the time in. You dont need to buy special paint sets, this knight was painted with just GW codex grey, black and white.
    also dont get to hung up with the exact positions of light reflections that can get a bit heavy!

'drag' the paint from dark to light, a real thinned down colour. You can add blues / browns etc ti places to give the effect of reflections but its best to start simple.

Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 328
Size:  114.1 KB

this elfs sword I painted with just black & white. Keep the brush strokes in the same direction.

Name:  img4fef21f1044ce.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  169.3 KB

Hope this helps
    "
    . Andyg

That's really good to see, much appreciated. I'm looking forward to having a play. Thanks Zab and 10 Ball.

I really want to finish the Orc but I also want to try other techniques. So once I have finished him I'm going to start a few projects.

Name:  base.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  56.2 KB

Started the base in the weekend found a nice piece of bark in the park. I quite like DarkKnight's Aragorn base, So will be aiming for something like that but with a few sculpted mushrooms.

Went a little crazy with the highlights in the tunic, I will have to bring them back in I think. The highlights are about 10/15 coats of very diluted Citadel averland sunset and VG Sand colour to highlight, although its way too light I'm quite pleased with it all round bar down the middle where its a bit bright.

Name:  SOschest.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  49.5 KB

I think I need to make the staff he holds more of a light wood than a dark, what do you think?

Have Fun!

A little up date;

Painted the base and Made 2 mushroom caps and need to make the stalks, a quick Q; I was going to make it out of the clay (Das) but I cant get it small enough, I guess a using paper clip and some greenstuff is what's called for?
    Name:  Base.JPG
Views: 266
Size:  63.0 KB

I needed a break from the Orc. So I decided to use the colours below and paint a space wolf, I have been busting to paint one since flicking through coolmini, I will work my way up to a rune priest. The space wolves tickle my imagination.
    Name:  SPWFColor2.png
Views: 248
Size:  473 Bytes I have sourced this from the handy http://colorschemedesigner.com/

Here is some Progress only a a few highlights and a base coat on the head I'm excited to paint the skin tones as I've watched so many tutorials. Still needs some top end highlights and some line work. I'm pretty sure about green for the fingers of the power fist (Is what its called?).
    Name:  SPWF.JPG
Views: 257
Size:  84.5 KB
    I went and got a cork Zab! mawhahaha
    I think the colours are pretty close on screen matching the swatch. (The brown needs to be a little more green.)

Take Care.