Thread: Anyone Tried Scale75 NMM Paint Set?

Default Anyone Tried Scale75 NMM Paint Set?

Just curious if anyone has tried either of the Scale75 non metallic metal paint sets. I'm tempted to pick one up to see what I think... but I'd love to hear from someone who has tried it before I order one. Has it been useful or just a waste of money?

I've searched around online for some reviews but didn't come up with anything.

Blog Entries

I'm interested to hear as well. They look like excellent colors.

I saw the tutorials posted at 5th Dimension. They look like they would save me a tone of time picking colors, but they don't make it look like NMM is any easier to do; said the guy who is always looking for a shortcut to a quality paint job that doesn't exist
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

I don't have them, but the 3 videos released by scale75 on the NMM paintsets look pretty good to me:

gold: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVnVLmBhJ3w
    steel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4aT_5sjjqA
    copper: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkWTp6fhmvs

From the videos they look pretty pigmented and 'thick' on par with VMC/Andrea. Ohh and found an unboxing, so the set does have a small tutorial (step-by-step) for the NMM.

In the end though they are just a good selection of colors for the task. You still have to work with the blending and the correct placement of highlights.

Thanks. Yeah, I'd seen their demos and its nice to know they've got at least some sort of tutorial in the box.

I ended up ordering their steel set. I was tempted to grab the gold/copper/bronze one too... but figure I'll see how I like this one first. I'd like to see how the paints perform, how they flow off the brush and how easy it is for me to blend them. In the end it's up to me to put the paints in the right places and make smooth transitions... but if color selection is one less thing I have to worry about, I'll take it.

I'll let you all know what I think of them (and hopefully post some example photos).

I've watched the vidoes and to be honest they are pretty good demonstrations on how to do the placement of colours for NMM.
    Having said that the videos could be adapted to any similar paint colours from any manufacturer because after all NMM is a technique not a specific set of colours.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach
    I've watched the vidoes and to be honest they are pretty good demonstrations on how to do the placement of colours for NMM.
    Having said that the videos could be adapted to any similar paint colours from any manufacturer because after all NMM is a technique not a specific set of colours.
    This is exactly my reservation with a set like this (not just this set, any set like this).

Especially when the individual colours don't have to be exactly as in the set for successful results, and this is more true of NMM than some others, they're really a nonsense buy, but of course some people will plump for them thinking they'll make the difference.

But don't fool yourself, they're not needed. In fact if you're already very in tune with your current set of paints there's reason to suppose you'll do better with them than with new paints you have to familiarise yourself with.

Einion

I'd imagine that these would be brilliant if you're just getting into trying NMM and don't want to have to hope that you've the right colours (or pick the right ones). Personally, my biggest problem is that I can't visualise NMM reflections

p

Quote Originally Posted by RuneBrush View Post
    Personally, my biggest problem is that I can't visualise NMM reflections
    p
    If you have difficulty visualising the reflections, why not take a knife,a spoon and a large kitchen knife into the sunlight and photograph them. Do lots of different angles and you'll have plenty of references.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by RuneBrush
    I'd imagine that these would be brilliant if you're just getting into trying NMM and don't want to have to hope that you've the right colours (or pick the right ones).
    But come on, how hard is it to line up a set of greys/blue-greys, white and black? As I said above, the exactly colours aren't even critical to a successful result. If you;re after an exact look then yeah, but if you're just after the effect the specific colours don't matter that much (and most everything can be mixed from scratch if absolutely necessary).

Quote Originally Posted by RuneBrush
    Personally, my biggest problem is that I can't visualise NMM reflections
    It's not often acknowledged but this is actually the hardest part. The painting of it is relatively straightforward - anyone who can already paint smooth grads and crisp details can do the actual work. It's just putting them together in the right way for it to look convincing or cool (depending on style) that's the challenge.

These threads have some tips:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-challenge-NMM
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...hlights-on-NMM
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...metallic-paint
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...Painting-metal

Einion

The NMM on the empire guard im painting on my WIP is VMC neutral grey - VMC sky grey - VMC white grey that Andy & I picked up at Salute.
    No need for expensive sets in fact you can paint NMM steel with just black & white if you are up to mixing.
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    If you have difficulty visualising the reflections, why not take a knife,a spoon and a large kitchen knife into the sunlight and photograph them. Do lots of different angles and you'll have plenty of references.
    Quote Originally Posted by Einion View Post
    It's not often acknowledged but this is actually the hardest part. The painting of it is relatively straightforward - anyone who can already paint smooth grads and crisp details can do the actual work. It's just putting them together in the right way for it to look convincing or cool (depending on style) that's the challenge.

These threads have some tips:
    Hehe, cheers I ought to have another go at some point, when I've tried before something just didn't "click" so to speak. Hmm, actually my other half has a couple of weekends away in a few weeks time so that might be a good opportunity...

Quote Originally Posted by Einion View Post
    But come on, how hard is it to line up a set of greys/blue-greys, white and black? As I said above, the exactly colours aren't even critical to a successful result. If you;re after an exact look then yeah, but if you're just after the effect the specific colours don't matter that much (and most everything can be mixed from scratch if absolutely necessary).
    You've got a pretty fair point, I think the general trend (not on here I hasten to add) of "take colours x, y and wash z" means it's becoming habit to just go out and purchase the colour you're looking to paint, rather than looking at what you've got and mixing if you need to

I have this set too but didn't try it yet.

I have complete scale 75 color range and fantasy, nothing from their warfront colors yet. The range of colors is designed to work in layers just like other ranges, what I find personally is the layer better than other brands due to there higher pigment levels, but this double edge sword tho as it is headache ( for me at lest) to get the thinning down for AB work. I have tried there NMM and failed, mainly do lack of skill and practice with NMM. I personally recommend scale paints to anyone, and if your on the fence about picking up some I would say go for it. Price point they can be higher than other brands but you get what you pay for.

When I went to World Expo in Chicago earlier this summer I met the developers behind Scale75 and the North American vendor...let's just say I ended up buying pretty much the rest of the paint sets I didn't already have. Personally, it's easier for me to use their sets since I suck at color selection/color theory, mixing, and shadowing/highlighting with the correct colors. The sets simplify the process, at least for me... admiring your work over the past couple years, I'd say you have no problem with that. Surprisingly, I actually like the Scale75 over Reaper paints now... scale75 and reaper are all I use. I love how well the colors blend and how opaque/flat they dry. I also saw some of the box art models at the show painted with scale75 paints, and all I can say is QUALITY.

So to answer your question, not a waste of money if you are not too good at the painting thing... again not something you struggle with I would venture to say that with your brush skill and the quality of the paints, you would produce some very amazing pieces.
    For God and Country,
    TheLost

My WIP thread: http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...34-TheLost-WIP