Opinions required Re: washes

Thread: Opinions required Re: washes

Default Opinions required Re: washes

I am slowly expanding my painting collection from GW to other brands. I just ran out of the citadel colour Athonian Camoshade so I was thinking that as I run out of colours that would be a good opportunity to try out new ones. What would you folks recommend as I step away from Citadel? I have had good success with Vallejo so far, but I wanted to maybe try secret weapon or any others out there that people have had good results with.

Thanks in advance!
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

You set on getting commercial premade washes? Because you can make perfectly decent washes yourself.

Einion

I know. And I do make them all the time, but I also love to try the various painting products that are out there. I think it may be a budding addiction

Well, if you enjoy paying for extra water.

If you're feeling really adventurous, check out Les' Wash Recipes. He uses various flow retarders and similar to mimic how the citadel washes work. I've been tempted to try it but never quite had the money when I had the time

pete

Quote Originally Posted by RuneBrush View Post
    If you're feeling really adventurous, check out Les' Wash Recipes. He uses various flow retarders and similar to mimic how the citadel washes work. I've been tempted to try it but never quite had the money when I had the time

pete
    That looks a lot like one just needs a little Klear floorwax to complete the recipe
    The Future Of Magic Wash is Klear

supervike: This site is cake, the scoring is icing. Scrape it off if you don't like it, the cake is still delicious!!

Dragonsreach: Oh my goodness, an Orrery and the Time Machine, at this time of the morning. I think I need a stiff cup of tea.

I had a similar idea in making my own washes/ inks from scratch- but using watercolors and gouache. I tried it, and they seem a little "bubbley" to me. Maybe I need to try some flowaid in there. It held pretty good, considering the delicate nature of watercolor paints when re-wet. I'll have to figure out an exact recipe.

Zab, moving on from GW washes you'll find most others quite different. Other ranges tend have a more punchy pigment to their washes, and have a glossier finish if slathered on. The GW ones in comparison are quite weak, albeit with a more matt finish. You shan't find much difference between the other ranges though, so you can buy what you like with whimsy. I always pick up a brown or two from a different range, there's such a variation in browns given the combinations that go into making a one. P3 have a particularly nice brown, quite ruddy, 's'great for shading red and serving as dried blood in a splatter effect.

Thanks, that's what I was wondering about. I tend to have full control over how flat they are when I mix my own and I like how flat GW's tend to be so I was wondering about the properties of the other companies out there. I seal my minis anyway so the glossy factor isn't a big deal to me. I may try out some secret weapon or reaper since I do quite bit of shopping with them anyway.