Thoughts Solicited on SM Captain - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Thoughts Solicited on SM Captain

Quote Originally Posted by ten ball View Post
    This thread had run it's course way back when for some unknown reason
    you ask for and then dismiss all the advice given?
    That's absolutely incorrect. I asked for ways, other than meddling with contrast, to improve the figure. I received several helpful suggestions and gratefully acknowledged them. I also received several suggestions from people who did not bother to read my request or chose to disregard the preference I expressed within. I have patiently tried to explain that again and again.

I will just have to disregard posts from people who haven't read or understood the thread, it seems.

I fail to understand your views on contrast, without it the mini will be flat.
    your work will not improve without it.
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

I still agree with 10ball. I tried to do this your way, and also tried to explain by pointing to different types of contrast. But you didnt understand. Contrast isnt A technique to make your minis look good. It´s the very thing that will make your mini look good. No mini will look good without it.

You dont have to use it, but you won't get anyone to stop talking about it. contrast is the very basic, and if you dont get that, take an art class.

I think Dragonsreach pointed out how increased contrast looks better in small scale in this article
    and these photos:

edit: awww doesn't he look youthful with dark hair ;P
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by freakinacage View Post
    I think Dragonsreach pointed out how increased contrast looks better in small scale in this article
    and these photos:

"Its not the years its the mileage."........Seems hard to believe that I did that article in 2004.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by freakinacage View Post
    and these photos:

That's a perfect illustration of why I think minis look better when they're 'flatter'. Thanks!

I tried to push the word definition instead of contrast. If the minis looked like the Mike on the left not many people would complain. I suggest you take it into photoshop or and look at the darkest and lightest hue and you'll see for yourself that the range of tones from dark to black are tremendous and much much more then you put into your minis. You can make a miniature look very contrasted and very subdued using the same range of dark to light the difference is how you place the highlights and shadows, how large space they occupy, smoothness of gradients etc. Do you understand this? The difficulty you face is how to do it in a speedy manner if you want to game with the miniature. In which I tried to help somewhat.

I suggest you look at the real world, look at photos, look at paintings etc. and prepare to be surprised. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Avelorn View Post
    I tried to push the word definition instead of contrast. If the minis looked like the Mike on the left not many people would complain. I suggest you take it into photoshop or and look at the darkest and lightest hue and you'll see for yourself that the range of tones from dark to black are tremendous and much much more then you put into your minis. You can make a miniature look very contrasted and very subdued using the same range of dark to light the difference is how you place the highlights and shadows, how large space they occupy, smoothness of gradients etc. Do you understand this? The difficulty you face is how to do it in a speedy manner if you want to game with the miniature. In which I tried to help somewhat.

I suggest you look at the real world, look at photos, look at paintings etc. and prepare to be surprised. Good luck.
    I sympathize with your frustration - I feel exactly the same way. I've tried to make you all see that I understand the techniques that you're talking about, and that I just don't want to use them. At least, not to the degree that's being suggested here. I do quick, subtle three-color shading on areas like faces, cloaks, etc. A darker shade for recesses, a lighter shade for highlights, and the middle color as a base. That's how I prefer it. It's quick, it looks great, and it's not exaggerated.

Quote Originally Posted by candidgamera View Post
    I do quick, subtle three-color shading on areas like faces, cloaks, etc. A darker shade for recesses, a lighter shade for highlights, and the middle color as a base.
    so you are aiming for about a simple TTQ without much definition. Good, but then don't be suprised by a 3-5 range from other people.

Quote Originally Posted by candidgamera View Post
    It's quick, it looks great, and it's not exaggerated.
    true, false, true

@DRPic:
    I shrunk it, so both heads can be seen:

Name:  DR_small.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  2.9 KB

as you can see, the left, that looks good when large is flat. It's like a simple basecoat and done, no shading, nothing.
    on the right side you see what the contrast does, makes features more visible.

but ok, you don't like the contrast of light-dark, then what about the other 6+ possibilities that are written in that magazine?
    - vivid - muted
    - cold - warm
    -etc

or even something military modellers do: clean - weathered.

There is sooo much to do to make a mini more readable.

btw the comic-feeling from contrast comes really only if used with too vivid-clean colors. If the used colors are mixes and are muted with grey, then it won't have that effect.

Quote Originally Posted by MAXXxxx View Post
    so you are aiming for about a simple TTQ without much definition. Good, but then don't be suprised by a 3-5 range from other people.
    I won't be, on this forum. As previously stated. Many times.

Quote Originally Posted by MAXXxxx
    true, false, true
    Actually : True, Matter of Opinion, True. Your opinion is not fact.

As for the two shrunken heads - the one on the left looks better and more realistic to me. No matter how many ways you guys re-frame this or badger me, you're not going to change my personal taste. I understand that most of you are well-meaning, just trying to get me to paint the way you think looks better - but I am not going to ruin my enjoyment of my figures to please anyone else.

You mention other types of contrast - those I don't have a problem with, so long as they "look right" to me. I will be adding additional weathering to the dreadnought, and considering a color change on the captain's power sword to green, based on suggestions offered in this very thread, and which I have acknowledged previously.

I swear, it's like I have to keep typing the same things over and over again, because no one is reading the rest of the thread. I suppose doing the same things over and over again and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity - so moderators, please close this thread at your convenience. Those of you who offered advice other than lighting-based contrast - thank you very much, I will have a lot to consider when I revisit the Captain and the Dreadnought. Those who offered advice based on forced lighting contrast, and were polite about it - I'm glad you don't take my personal taste as an affront to your own. Thank you for that.

thing is though. it´s not an opinion, it´s color theory, which is scientific. me liking rihanna more than mozart doesnt mean mozart isnt objectively better. another example: some christians believe the earth is only 6000 years or so old. that doesn't change the fact that it is actually older. someone may have a different opinion, but that doesn't mean it´s a matter of opinion.

i´m not saying your crazy. i´m not saying you don't have the fullest right to think flat looks better.

sorry for the silly comparisons again, but i like them. for most of us, contrast is the central part of making the mini look good. so asking how you can make your mini look good without contrast would be something like asking a christian: "how can i be a good christian without believing in Jesus?"

i know, it´s silly rhetorics on my side. a christian can allways tell you to do good upon others, and follow the commandments, but the main point would be lost. this is how i feel, you want to improve, and i want you to, but you don't want me to mention Jesus.

jesus<3

Praise the Lord !
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.