Canny's Wip - Page 46
Page 46 of 55 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: Canny's Wip

Wow, this parts can even be used as walls! Nice job.

Thanks guys, Dexter - yes! I didn't think that far ahead but that would look good!

Im a sucka for making things difficult but hey you don't learn by doing it easy.
    I sculpted a rip yesterday, Imagining a tyranid ripping the floor up. I had to rebuild the section as its a different process to make things this way which was a new experience.
    Name:  BikerBaseRIP.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  30.3 KB
    Any way its printing now, its not the biker base but a 40mm one to check sizing for the top of the base.

Happy painting

That’s pretty awesome. Great use of 3D printing. Should look great on a base.

This stuff is really cool man, when you start pumping these out I’m going to have to get a couple of pieces off ya... like dexter I’m more intrigued at the concept of using these as walls etc in scenery pieces. But in saying that they are going to look epic as bases for an overkill squad!!!

Cool sound good CC. I will need to sell a few to make my expenses back. I will pick up a pack of smooth cast 305 which I have been using for the cork holders, Im pretty happy with that, just needs some colouring as its pure white. I guess I will get some black (makes it grey).
    Name:  corkholders.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  60.0 KB

Apart from lack of detail due to the ability of the printer, I have found the rip in the base needs to be more extreme to get the detail required for the size. Also maybe a little taller so it looks chunkier? On 40mm base I think I could I go longer too, Your thoughts?
    Name:  rip.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  109.8 KBName:  rip1.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  87.8 KB
    Last edited by Canny; 03-19-2018 at 02:07 AM.

Thats definately a Gigeresque rip you have going on there....

Did i tell you I wanted a 3d printer!....I'm well envious of the flexibility this would give for modelling cool bases and making custom bits.

Whats the print time on these bits out of interest?

Dang Canny. You have been quite the busy bee my friend. Love the basings you have been doing, and see instantly why BAM wanted them so much.
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

This is so cool...but I think I hate you just a little bit as my Kickstarter 3D printer is a few months behind on delivery!

good stuff canny. turned out well.

thanks guys! I'm pleased about it looking Gigeresque that's quite a compliment!

Hairister the 40mm with the rip took 17 minutes, the 32mm ones about 5-6. but a big tile would take a few hours and the chances of it printing well would be pretty low with all the detail on this machine. I will link a video so you can watch one print.

The cork holder took 3 hours and then I sanded and primed sanded and primed then top coated and wet sanded for the master. molded and them cast a bunch. It was a good learning curve and harder than the bases as I will only need a 1 part mold for them.

KB-Awesome I hope I'm getting your imagination going! Is it one of the resin bath ones? that's on my list but can justifly 1000usd for a basic one(then cost of materials and delivery to NZ). Have you been learning any programmes I highly recommend fusion 360 for this kind of work. z brush seems to be the go for sculpting or blender for free, I have had a little play with them but not any thing meaningful. I think in the future it will be fun to sculpt a bust or a blob! hahaha.
    Last edited by Canny; 03-19-2018 at 03:47 PM.

Thanks Canny....vid would be interesting. I’m a 3DS Max user at work and have a tinker with blender so imagine i could probably drop straight in on the 3D printing action....need to look into it!

Wowzers bud this is amazing!!! Your a 3D sculptor and this is going to do wonders as a weapon in yourminiature painting genuinity factor!!!! You’ll never be anything other than a genius to me bud!!! I know it took a while but it seems yiuve had such an innate ability to learn things at such a fast rate!!!! As I said genius!!!! I mean what law would one call this- magic, wizardry/ sorcerer!!! CANNERY !!!! Lol CANNARY -I love it- new word for you theren- every time you do something amazing I’m going to say there goes theren with his CANNARY AGAIN.

hahaha thanks BAM its my compulsive - obsessive mind, as long as Im focused and enjoying it Im all guns blazing. I look forward to some CANNARY moments!
    Hairster! Oh you should be fine, Im a builder so I evolved from Sketch Up but 3ds max you can use that to export stl's I expect. Here is the folder of all the pictures I take and one video of the printer doing its thing. Google album

Happy painting
    Last edited by Canny; 03-19-2018 at 07:44 PM.

Awesome....just checked that out....fascinating stuff. I really want one now....

Glad to hear it Hairster! You will come to love and hate the Technology

Thanks MAM!

Question time

Im my head when I'm planning a base like this a few things come to mind, what comes to your mind?

A section that grabs the viewers eyes that is sculpted but has enough volume to paint to any level. Making the base too busy limits its usability.

Aesthetically Pleasing - Separation of each detail, whether its height or width, giving each level enough to look in scale but also enough to edge highlight with out being a pain.

Some bases need to have a decent section to use your own skill as a painter to show damage or freehand techniques (hence flat sections).

Coherence across each base but different enough not to look all the same.

height of base, Maybe a raised area for the miniature to make them look more heroic.

Technical - can it be printed, can it be molded, can it be cast.
    Last edited by Canny; 03-19-2018 at 07:54 PM.

Default Final 3d files to Print

I have got all the bases to the correct size and I'm happy with the sizing of each part of the sections. I have increased the depth between the grate and edging, increased the size of the surrounding rivets, lowered the cross shape in the grate to make it more defined.

25mm Toppers - A good number for the rest of the geenstealers.
    Name:  Final25mmBases10LOGOSmall.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  12.8 KB

32mm toppers - The exact number I need for the deathwatch board game.
    Name:  FINAL32mmBases11LOGO.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  12.2 KB

40mm Toppers - I only need one but a choice of 6 for future projects would be good, come to think of it I should finish my dark angle terminators.
    Name:  6x40mmMaster_basesLOGOSmall.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  10.5 KB

Bike Toppers - After searching and looking at other bases they all seemed very parallel, I mixed mine up to make them look a bit more exciting.
    Name:  FinalBikerBasesLOGOsmall.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  13.3 KB

I just need to join them all up so they look like they are on a sprue (more cost effective to be printed). It's a 2 week turn around for printing, maybe a month or so and I will have the masters back ready to cast.

Last edited by Canny; 03-30-2018 at 05:31 PM.

40 ml are screaming my name matey!!! I’m in
    i dunno how you became adept at this shit so fast but you and me are gonna be talking for scenic bases and toppers for upcoming comps -

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    40 ml are screaming my name matey!!! I’m in
    i dunno how you became adept at this shit so fast but you and me are gonna be talking for scenic bases and toppers for upcoming comps -
    You Know I will buddy!
    Last edited by Canny; 03-31-2018 at 03:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canny View Post

KB-Awesome I hope I'm getting your imagination going! Is it one of the resin bath ones? that's on my list but can justifly 1000usd for a basic one(then cost of materials and delivery to NZ). Have you been learning any programmes I highly recommend fusion 360 for this kind of work. z brush seems to be the go for sculpting or blender for free, I have had a little play with them but not any thing meaningful. I think in the future it will be fun to sculpt a bust or a blob! hahaha.
    No, I was trying to start out simple with a $400 unit that can do 30 micron, but we will see. My CAD skills have degraded significantly. I will probably start with Hingaverse files nd a few from Fat Dragon I have to start. Once I have a feel for the unit I will start digging into sculpting software. ...this could become another expensive hobby I don't have time for.