Canny's Wip - Page 11
Page 11 of 55 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Canny's Wip

hmmm... maybe they'll make an appearance on my WIP thread once I finish the move. I've been tempted to give them a bath of simple green and try painting them now that I'm more experience and know which end of the brush to use.

Piff hahahahaha the other end of the brush is for stippling ay? Awesome I know Digganob is keen to join in too.

I hate the other end of the brush. It keeps poking me in the eye.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Whats the deal with wraithblades, They seem like a great mini to paint but not many around. I was thinking of painting some up. They look pretty cool with their double swords and axes. A good mini with lots of smooth surface to do cool things with.

They were a cool looking unit, but due to the revised assault rules of 6th and the availability of better close combat units most people run wraithguard instead. Maybe 7th edition which is coming out at the end of May (24th if the rumors are true) will change that though.

of course if you are planning on doing eldar and given how awesome your AB work has gotten here is a tut you might like...

http://z3r-river-eng.blogspot.ca/201...-tutorial.html
    Last edited by Zab; 05-05-2014 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    They were a cool looking unit, but due to the revised assault rules of 6th and the availability of better close combat units most people run wraithguard instead. Maybe 7th edition which is coming out at the end of May (24th if the rumors are true) will change that though.

of course if you are planning on doing eldar and given how awesome your AB work has gotten here is a tut you might like...

http://z3r-river-eng.blogspot.ca/201...-tutorial.html
    Ah Ok thanks Zab, maybe I can just magnetise them for options, I can't keep them I have to have some income from the hobby otherwise I feel my pockets have holes that let through a waterfall of coin. Might be a little test run like the Killa kans of demi's.

I Love Nadya's site, great galaxy's! awesome stuff. it's so great this blog stuff so many things to read you could sit in front of the comp all day!

Ah, yes well if a quick turn around with a little profit is the goal perhaps buy up some orks off ebay and and paint 'em up nice before when the new codex drops and people will be snapping them up. Failing that some cheap imperial guard from ebay and a nice paint job since the astra militantrum is so big right now? If it's gotta be eldar just look up a few gaming blogs or threads to see what the most sought out units are in the meta right now and paint those up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    Ah, yes well if a quick turn around with a little profit is the goal perhaps buy up some orks off ebay and and paint 'em up nice before when the new codex drops and people will be snapping them up. Failing that some cheap imperial guard from ebay and a nice paint job since the astra militantrum is so big right now? If it's gotta be eldar just look up a few gaming blogs or threads to see what the most sought out units are in the meta right now and paint those up.
    Zab is smart.

Research might be a good idea.

When does the Ork codex come out... how do you know this???

So many choices, My plan is to enter the golden brush again, same comp as last year at GW wellington, I only entered a single mini then. I want to bring a bunch this year, after the comp I will sell off most of them. The uber ones I will keep for a while, then once I have improved enough to part with them I will. Im pretty selective on ebay it has to be a real bargain as shipping is around $15USD, Trademe.co.nz is pretty good.

Better check on the dwarf page soon Im about to check my resin ice shelf!

I read a lot of rumor blogs. I might not play the game or even buy the minis that much but i like to see what is happening in the game i used to love. I guess I'm a bit of a 40k stalker. That and a select "few" celebrities...May 24th is 7th edition and I think the boxed set for that is blood angels and orks. The next 2 codexes are thought to be orks and then space wolves. I feel you pain Canny. The US postal service is killing eBay and online shopping. I can get things shipped cheaper from the UK, Europe, China, Japan and Australia than the country I live on the same continent with.

Blog Entries

hmm. Maybe I should do some more killa kans

I have an iron curtain if you would like to give that a try
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

After having a hankering for some orks I had a little look for some and came across some ork kommandos. Seeing they are metal I should be able to strip them and paint them up.

I read this article, any better options than acetone?
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/article...-models-easily

I have thicken up the ice shelf for Zab's frosty thermo dwarf and it should be ready to peel out of the mould tomorrow! I used pigments to colour it this time so will be interesting to see how it turns out, seems to be more of a solid colour.

Simple Green Concentrate, caustic brake fluid, brown Dettol ... take your pick. Acetone is easily best for metal, though.

You could also try and get this chemical called Biostrip20 from the UK. I've repeatedly e-mailed them on whether they ship to our side of the world, but they've thus far ignored me. I think they're not interested in business here. Maybe one of our UK-based friends can forward it to you? It'll have to go via sea freight.

What a week, my kids have a cold and now I have it. So not feeling like painting with a runny nose and sore head I sniffed some acetone instead, jokes did it outside in the cold.

No one else bid on the Kommandos, Score!
    Thanks for your comments on stripping minis.

They arrived on Monday and after a quick pic I started work on cleaning them up.
    Name:  orcpre1.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  113.4 KB
    Not too shabby, they got a bit bent in the mail. Packed very poorly bubble wrap around each one, no sellotape to hold it together so I had a packet of minis mixed with some bubble wrap and a sword sticking out the package. At least they arrived in almost one piece.
    Name:  orcpre2.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  170.1 KB
    Popped their back packs off and removed the bases. I think they look better with out the back packs, too much going on other wise.
    Name:  orcpre3.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  120.4 KB
    So I went with acetone, make sure you have gloves on and a toothbrush donated to the cause. I left them in there Monday night and Tuesday morning I checked them, the paint came off a little gluggy so put the mini back and went to work. That night I tried again and the paint came of EASY. A little extra scrubbing in the hard to reach spots but no biggy. The acetone also melted the glue holding the arm and head of the main Orc so that's handy.
    Name:  orcpre4.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  103.7 KB
    Ta-Da!
    Near new, I tried to bend some of the arms and blades back into pose but snapped a blade, Should I heat them before I bend?
    I will drill and pin it back together.

So thats what I have been up to.

24 hours soaked in acetone seems to be a pretty good time for a metal mini.

Looking forward to an Orc shaman to start.

All the dings and nicks are what makes orks.. Well...orks. It's one of the universes great mysteries. And to quote the mad dok from gorkamorka. Canny "jobs a gud'un"
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

I love those minis, especially the boss with the klaw. The orc shaman thread is so much fun to watch too!

Blog Entries

Yeah, super nice set. Even the orc boys box has some nice potential, just x20 sucks. That Nob is sweet!

Believe me I am working on the dwarves too.

While the water effects sets on my shaman I will show you my little project on shiny Blue armor.
    Name:  Ultra3.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  149.1 KB
    I started with the AB then glazed into the white to get a brighter blue and a few stripes of black to get the contrast. I have only done the legs so far but you get the idea.
    Name:  Ultra1.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  106.6 KB
    1st layer via AB.
    Name:  ultra2.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  60.0 KB
    Tiny bit more of AB befre I started with the brush.
    Happy painting.
    Last edited by Canny; 06-28-2014 at 08:48 PM.