Canny's Wip - Page 2
Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Canny's Wip

Wow. that is coming along nicely. Just a classic red lens would work well with the red from the wax seals, green would be nice contrast but there is no other green to play off and yellow would be unique and might work well with the bone color of the robes. Yes to the osl on the hand and the squiggle could be osl too or just a simple golden color with some purple and turquoise shading to add interest. Maybe a few spots of white edging on the back pack, but less is more not sure the shoulder needs it though.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Cool, I quite like this sword loaded yesterday, looks quite exciting. I could just add a tiny amount of green for OSL on sword and hand. did the 1 layer of red on the lens last night.
    A mainly green Lib but is could work for me also . . . http://www.coolminiornot.com/343615

Hey now! That came out great!

The one thing that I would do is to push the contrast even more, bigger steps inbetween darker and lighter areas. Especially the cape, also it can be darker at the top and lighter towards the bottom. Sword looks nice, try to add an even darker part in the middle of the "dark" green area. I Believe that will add even more to the sword.
    Last edited by Kretcher; 10-23-2013 at 05:36 PM.
    work is boring when it gets in the way of my painting.

Kretcher is right. Here's the thing I've learned going to euro millitaire you should always go from black to white with your colour in between. Many many thin layers and slow slow transition between the shades think maybe black primer then base colour mixed with a bit of black then mix up through four or so transitions to the pure midtone and then start adding your lighter paints to the mix but always a mix or two with some white in it for the final highlites and here's the thing a dot of white somewhere for the final glint. Also as you go up the lightness scale smaller and smaller areas and thinner and thinner paint ALWAYS dab of excess paint on to a spare tissue. Follow this and slooooooooooooooooooow down and you will be amazed at what you produce. Hope this helps
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Dragonsreach also talked about the tissue and its much better than wiping it off on the pallet.
    The tissue works when Im looking through the top in the last 7 days too!

Zab- thanks man, your skull is coming a long nice, I dig the texture and look forward to seeing the lichen and moss. Im interested about it as Ive not sceen the paints before.

Kretcher - yeah its not quite there I am discovering the more contrast the better the result, I didnt want to go too dark as I wanted a kinda pulsating power glow with OSL. 10 Ball hit me with the contrast HAMMER a while a go and have been working on it. I have done some small improvements to the cape darker around the waist and small highlights at the bottom, its not a big change BUT I will be more aggressive on my next mini which has an oil skin jacket. Check back later too cast your eye.

AndyG - Yeha thanks for that, more dilution for lighter colours works much better. Over the last few weeks I have got much better, I sigh at the dwarf now but you have to start somewhere (I think I will strip him, Not dodgy). I used your BT NMM for the backpack reference. My cousin is getting some Blacktemplars from me soon, So your Wip will be well referenced. I will work on the black to white with softer transtion, DR mentions like you its pretty much black with what ever colour you are using, nice piece of wisdom.

I think I will have to go to a competition / event, as what I have sceen are 98% online, Seeing some top stuff IRL will change my perspective and insight.

So I will work on applying what I have learnt in my next mini, here is a hint and also my inspiration (Hell Dorado Mini)
    Name:  41.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  7.8 KB
    Who could it be????

So I got my Librarian back end of the week with a nice surprise!! I won the local games workshop golden brush in the single mini catergory there were some pretty cool minis there and some neat people. I will have to print another background and submit him, but in the mean time here he is on my desk with Varathar's mount poking over the top of the box.
    Name:  LibFinish.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  148.7 KB
    Many thanks to Zab, DR, 10 Ball, and Shakes for the comments and recomendations.

So I guess my templar will be scottish. As the white cross and blue background represents scotland. . Anyhow started his jacket and blacked in the metal areas for some NMM. My plan is to try some dilutied inks on the cloak as Ive not tried it yet and see how that goes, then get in there with a brush for darks and lights.
    Name:  Templar1.JPG
Views: 378
Size:  161.2 KB
    Last edited by Canny; 11-03-2013 at 04:41 AM.

Congrats and nice mini for the next one. Full of character, but i don't recognize it where is he from?

Congrats, that yellow cloth is very smooth.

Blog Entries

Congrats on the contest win! I bet that was fun. The templar is looking really great. Nice and dusty. Are you planning on doing some more freehand on him? Is he a Hell Dorado fig? They seem like they have some really nice sculpts. If you go over to the Studio McVey blog they have really nice couple of videos about painting sort of rough fabric with real light washes. They are short videos and really show some good IMHO technique. Not sure if it will help you much as you seem to be already there but a good watch none the less. Here is the one I am thinking of: http://studiomcvey.com/forums/index....rain-revenant/ I believe it's Ally Mcvey, she also has a lovely voice

Congratulations on the win! Great feeling isn't it?

The cross of St.Andrew is a modern Scottish symbol, you might want to look up som herarldry for Wallace's' Frazers and Stuarts to get a better"traditionsl" look to the other half of the damily.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Congratz on the win
    work is boring when it gets in the way of my painting.

Nice WIP, very interesting to see your work and develop your skills. The Templar looks great fun to paint, look forward to seeing how you get on with it. Well done with the competition with to btw!

Thanks very much guys

Its pretty exciting, I was/still am Buzzing. Its nice to know that your on track and it adds to painting and posting. Their plan worked . . I think I will go down there and have a paint sometime.

Here is the link for the Lib http://www.coolminiornot.com/344569
    Name:  LibFinished5cmextralow2.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  87.1 KB

The Templar is a hell Dorado figure "Andre de Montbard". Good guess
    I was thinking of a free hand cross, celtic styles on the back of his jacket to help continue the up skilling.

Other News my cousins birthday is in 3 weeks and he Plays Black Templars, He has sent me 2 figures a Chaplain and a sargent to paint. I have not seen them before and found no pics of them so here ya go.
    Name:  MikeBT.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  40.5 KB

Thanks for reading and commenting, Help is always apprecitated, that was a good video about flesh Dem.

Nice montage Wow, those are oop marines. The chaplain especially. The sergeant might be a limited ED Captain. What a treat!

I was quite excited to get home and start, I primed them last night in preparation. So after mowing the lawn and getting my little one to sleep I started.
    Name:  MikeBT2.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  31.7 KB
    I used Black as the base then a small amount of german grey followed buy the smallest highlight of a mix of 2 -1 german grey and bone white.
    Name:  MikeBT3.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  26.7 KB
    I used a 50/50 water and black ink on the sargent and a equal mix of back and blue ink to the Chaplain and applied a couple layers until I was happy with the result. It may look like I have compleatly covered my previous layer, its dark out and the bulb just died in my lamp so fear not they have added depth and are still visible.The Blue gives the Chaplain enough difference to notice.
    Last edited by Canny; 11-05-2013 at 04:22 AM.

Blog Entries

That sargent is a sweet sculpt. I love his head with that sort of gothic grill. What are your plans for the librarian helmet? I like that it isn't just a skull but a skull shaped helmet. These dudes better have their purity seals all up-to-date, they are looking a little warp tainted to me

The multiple base highlights looks good. I have to add that to my repertoire.

How old is your kid-o? I have a 15 month old and another on the way in December!

I have gone gone fairly brown on the undersides of the eye brows and have done 2 highlights quite watered down for a smooth transition. I think I will give the head a coat of satin varnish before I go for the pupils so I have a chance to fix any mistakes. Im looking at Zabs blog and will try a little wash to darken up the shadows.

Name:  BTS1.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  33.8 KB
    I have put a free hand chequer on the knee pad just to add a little bit extra, Done the wolf grey highlights and will get to the spot highlights ( I do mean little spots of white for a glint effect). Looking at the pic I should do a bit more blending on the left arm biceipt plate the grey is a bit too defined.

The tabard and and areas that will be gold NMM base coated, Im thinking up to almost white for the tabard and afew little dots of white to finish. I mixed a small amount of sick green to the brown to get the variation on the pouch and holster. I will go for a more leathery look but would like it to be a little different.

I have base coated areas that will be white, I may end up painting the shoulder gold also, not quite decided. . . What do you think, too much gold for a sargent?
    Last edited by Canny; 11-06-2013 at 05:12 AM.

I like the tone on the pouch! Gold is a great spot color for the black and white. Besides these guys love their gold. Have you seen their Chapter Master, Marshal Helbretch?
    Name:  1000px-BT_High_Marshal_Helbrecht_Portrait.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  170.5 KB