Canny's Wip - Page 3
Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Canny's Wip

Looking good canny I think your right about the white glints you've got to push that contrast to make the black armour look really black another hint would be to give the black armour the very faintest of blue washes make sure it doesn't pool. Gold definitely! Real nmm gold. For some reason you just don't get good results with Tmm gold. Steel yes no problem with Tmm but not gold?!?
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Dem - My little one is 18 months and we also have one on the way!
    I figure the chaplain will have black helmet but the face part will be a skull colour with afew white highlights.

Zab - He is epic! I might get in trouble but first thing he reminds me of is a chandelier, very fantasy medievil. they Do like their gold, So gold shoulder it is! Nice Job on the little ladies steel NMM!

Andy - I have done that with the Chaplain he looks quite neat with the blue wash especially on the grey areas, Just to make him different from the others. Its crunch time for NMM gold 2nd attempt. Your Sargeant's Gold is so good. Stay tuned.

Back to it - Yeha I could not resist, I cant put him down I stayed up way too late last night and got heaps done, now tonight I need a break so I made some bases nothing flash - cork and sand, not too high as the birthday boy has plain bases so I didnt want to go OTT.

Name:  BTS2.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  37.0 KB

The Red turned out pretty good I mixed green, red and a touch of black to start and moved all the way up to redish orange then put a red glaze all over, Should I do more . .if so how, better find a 101 on how not to make it Pink/yellow! I could go back and re darken the hollows, its partly the sun light and partly the glaze between the 2 pics

I think the gold NMM is much better than my 1st attempt, this time I started with brown and used glazes rather than a all in one wet blend . . But Ive just noticed the shading on the cross is wrong.
    Name:  BTS3.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  45.3 KB

The tabard its pretty good but just not quite there at the top, I guess it has smaller folds so its harder to get the transitions, I think the bottom looks good and I kept the comments in mind from the Librarian so DArker to get the contrast.

Looking at the pick I should put a little wash over the shoulder to fill the low points with a dark dark brown combating the lightness.

Im still scared of the pupils but I have varnished him so I will have a jab tomorrow.

Oh Do you remember the line "Thats not a Knife"? Crocodile Dundee.
    Last edited by Canny; 11-07-2013 at 04:01 AM.

Looking good! Everything is nicely balanced too.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Looking really nice. I think the tabard and the cloak are very well done personally.
    "I was too distracted by the ladies to be scared of your bear. That is the second weirdest sentence I have ever typed on this site o_O"- Zab

"Paint flavored coffee is the bestest!"-me

Brush Brother Moetle

Take a peek you might learn something or teach me something :-)

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...tic-Wonderland

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Canny View Post
    Dem - My little one is 18 months and we also have one on the way!
    Wow! We should start a club. Zab when are you guys having another one?

Sargeants looking great! Way to step it up!

I see. She's gotten to you too, huh? I shouldn't be surprised. The Lady Inquisitor has agents everywhere...

Thanks Moetle, Im still learning so its great to get feedback, quenches some uncertanty.
    A little package arrived for me yesterday . .Secret Weapon pigment set - Dry Earth which has 4 colours I mainly used dark yellow as you can see and dusted the others around in patches, keeping the lighter yellow on the edge for some depth.

Name:  BTBase.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  42.8 KB

Nice, are you going to secure them or clear coat? I love pigments now, so sad I didn't try them until now. Did you see the youtube vid misterjustin did for rust? Awesome.

Nice Video, I quite like ichibanpainting advanced rust and chipping vid, makes me want to try a vehicle/Mech but then I think about getting better at Skin tones and painting a pin up.

I just used some satin varnish to seal them, has worked fine spayed on, doubt I could use it like in the video with capillary action what are your thoughts?

I used plain old rubbing alcohol to fix them in place and then they got sealed further when I gave the mini a shot of dulcote. The spray really kicked them down a notch, though. Next Time I might not fox them before i spray.

Blog Entries

Canny, Thanks so much for your post on my WIP last night I hope i can live up to it!

What do you think about adding a little patch of dark green grass or moss to your base to set off the red cape? You could also do some dark olive shadows on the rocks if grass doesn't work seem appropriate for a desert world. Check out my 10 minute 'shop; same picture on left and right but doesn't the red seem a tiny bit brighter on the right?

Name:  BTBase.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  90.3 KB

I just ordered the dry earth set as well from Secret Weapon. I was thinking about doing a western base for Mr. Death but then I realized I could use them on my dragon base I also got a buffalo skeleton and some pre-colored fall leaves.

Nice, I also saw some one here on the forums doing skin tones with them so I thought about giving that a go also. I like the idea I will see what I can come up with for the base, it looks brighter all round. As Zab said the pigments do darken off so I used about 3-4 layers and built them up between sealers, its still not quite as bright as the pic as that was before the last coat of varnish.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Canny View Post
    Nice, I also saw some one here on the forums doing skin tones with them so I thought about giving that a go also. I like the idea I will see what I can come up with for the base, it looks brighter all round. As Zab said the pigments do darken off so I used about 3-4 layers and built them up between sealers, its still not quite as bright as the pic as that was before the last coat of varnish.
    I REALLY like the skin tones just the way they are on this guy.

A little darker sounds good too.

Update, remember "thats not a knife" well this IS a GUN!

Name:  BTS4.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  42.6 KB

Afew things to finish like the axe and the NMM gold done the lights just need to go back over with darks. . . and pupils.

Looking good on the black those top glint highlites are what the doctor ordered. Also the nmm on the gun barrel is just right

i would be temped to very gradually push up the contrast on the red but this is a minor thing.
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Thanks Andy G, I need to move on to the chaplain so I can ge them in the post in time for Mikes birthday, So I will call him done. . . once I have done the above things axe Nmm etc.

I have been distracted I ordered a metal space wolf rune priest a while a go, he was still in his packet so was quite exciting opening him.
    All this work on plinths I decided to have a go myself, My fuel is Karaikal's GD 2007 Ulrik and the pic below are my reference guides, quite layered geography.

Name:  A0004575.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  264.1 KB

The Wood is Rimu its beautiful timber and recycled from a job I did last month. So a little Cork and glued to the base and cut up like the pic, I left the flat areas for snow drift and cut some cracks in it to emulate the pic.

Name:  RunePriest.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  53.5 KB

So I I realy got stuck in and taped off the base and sprayed it black you can see more of the texture that way. My imagination is going crazy its all Im thinking about what could I do next, maybe a wolf skull. I plan on a healthy but not OTT icicles and a fair amount of snow, For some sonw resarch I see the woodlands soft snow flake and realistic water looks pretty sweet, Im going to do some mock ups of the Bi-carb and see what they are like.

Name:  RunePriest1.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  72.7 KB

happy Viewing. Snow tips appreciated, Im going to use some perspecs for the icicles like MrDracorus perspecs engine thrust.
    Last edited by Canny; 11-15-2013 at 05:06 AM.

I find bicarb mixed with water effect very effective, also crushed glass supposed to be very good but not tried it out yet.
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Blog Entries

That cork looks pretty good. I used plaster for my snow. It wasnt as good of a texture as the bicarb. But I have done the bicarbonate with PVA glue and after a couple years it got a little yellowed even through the paint. Sarge looks great! The colors look very rich.

Quote Originally Posted by ten ball View Post
    I find bicarb mixed with water effect very effective, also crushed glass supposed to be very good but not tried it out yet.
    Oww I just found Blood and Snow an awesome piece and he has used crushed glass for his snow. found the tut form Secret weapon.

Dem my test bicarbs went brown as I did it straight on to a piece of bark.

Blog Entries

Oh yeah! Mathieu is the man! I was lucky enough to take one of his classes here in California. I wish I could take it over again now that I can paint a little better

I also hear that woodland scenics has some good snow stuff. Which is also glass. Watch out with that powdered glass it hear it is pretty nasty stuff