Tim's WIP's - Page 11
Page 11 of 49 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Tim's WIP's

Quote Originally Posted by Darthmarsh View Post
    GD was amazing. The level of painting that was on show was incredible. It was fantastic to see 10's, Skel's, Rick's and Sprockett's entry's in the flesh, even if I didn't get to meet them in person. I think I learnt a lot from the day and hopefully in the long run that will make me a better painter.
    You have to say Hi next year, too bad I (we) missed you!

Bloody hell actual progress!

Just had a few hours to work a little more on the Flying citadel. Just adding texture and bulking up the rock sections with milliput/ liquid green stuff. I'm also having a go at building the fortification from 1mm cork sheet. Its pretty easy to cut and shape and I'm hoping that the cork will give a nice scaled stone like texture to the walls. I'm in uncharted land here so any thoughts would be appreciated

@ Skel I'm going to try to get to Salute in April so be great to meet up if you're there

Name:  DSC_0139.JPG
Views: 280
Size:  682.3 KBName:  DSC_0141.JPG
Views: 282
Size:  742.3 KB
    Last edited by Darthmarsh; 10-22-2014 at 05:49 PM.

So what's the end game plan to achieve floating status. I think your headed in the right direction. Looks awesome.
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

Now this has the potential to be seriously good, love the way it's taking shape already, watching avidly.

Looking good ! while the green stuff and milliput is wet, get a stone with a nice texture and dip into water and press into the putty this will add to the texture. Not used cork for walls before so no idea if that will work but can always chip out details with a scalpel
    Wargames Terrain Workshop
    Home of High Quality Gaming boards, Scenery and Miniature Sculpting

Contact us @ wargamesterrainworkshop@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks guys

@ diggy if Possible I'd like two waterfalls to take to whole weight. If that doesn't work then a black pillar as well for extra support.

@ WGS you cant see it very well in the photos but I've used bark for imprinted texture on the big hunk of Milliput on the bottom right. For smaller texture I'm dabbing liquid green stuff directly onto the foam. It's ruining the brush but gives a lovely stone texture when dry. I'm also planing on adding fine dust and sand to add another layer to the effect.

Just on a break at the moment but hopefully I'll get some more done tonight after work

cheers

Tim
    Last edited by Darthmarsh; 10-22-2014 at 05:50 PM.

Looking great mate.

I think that the texture of the cork on the battlements is already working in your favour, given the approx. scale of the building. Light coats of paint and a wash should bring it out nicely. If you try and scribe in brick work lines the cork is likely to flake apart. I'd suggest leaving it as is.

Ahhhhhh the waterfalls are an awesome idea.
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

This all looks very good and I admire your drive to get such a project completed? Also wanted to say your metals look really good!

Quote Originally Posted by Stewsayer View Post
    Looking great mate.

I think that the texture of the cork on the battlements is already working in your favour, given the approx. scale of the building. Light coats of paint and a wash should bring it out nicely. If you try and scribe in brick work lines the cork is likely to flake apart. I'd suggest leaving it as is.
    Exactly my plan Stew. I did think about using plasticard but decided against because it would be harder to get a convincing stone texture and it would create loads more work!

Ahhh, exciting! So much potential and so much niftiness already.

Blog Entries

WOw! That's looking good! The wood dowels might give you some trouble. You need to coat them with something relatively thick to cover up the wood grain and they suck up paint.

You can buy clear acrylic rod and then maybe build your waterfalls around that.

http://www.amazon.com/Transparent-St.../dp/B000FN14FW

Oh wow, those photos are so evocative and dreamy... that base will look awesome, mate.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Blog Entries

Some urchins made an almighty racket at the bus stop facing my wee house last night, and as i was standing there this morning all the perspex was in shatters, bar one complete sheet. Eyed it up but reckoned it would go back in place perfect until a council worker comes along and says 'if u want that take it, we're gonna dump it all'..... wooohooooo, its real think and unmarked, about 3'x4', and guess it'll easy take a lot of weight if cut into shorter lengths it's easily going to take the weight of my rocky mountain thing and should take water effects well, work out what size you'd need if u reckon it'd work n i'll mail u some

Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do. Edgar Degas.

Lol they are a combo of both tmm and nmm nads they are the most amazing nads in the world....they are only talked about in fairy tales...but I have seen these nads ..right here on this very forums..can't say anymore the men in black are at my door...I'm a poet and didn't know it..lol

Coming together nicely..much more to do this is a great experience of modelling for all folks.

Okay so it's been 7 months since my last post, indeed since I last picked up a paint brush! Work since October has been insane and led to a complete lack of motivation. My job still hasn't got any easier but I've recently been hearing a muffed voice from my miniature cupboard that simply cant be ignored any longer.

I've shelved the floating citadel for the time being and gone back to Malacant. I've refined the details a little and now i reckon he's about 90% finished. As for his base, I've decided to include him in a medium size diorama. The narrative is basically in an ancient, derelict temple an embattled sorcerer has just summoned a bloody great big demon to help him combat his unseen assailants.

Some months ago i bought a cool magician from Andrea miniatures and I've finally got around to putting some colour on him. Still quite early days at the moment and i'm still struggling to paint white metal instead of resin (it just doesn't seem as detailed or forgiving!) but i think i'm on the right path. I've also done most of the base now and i'm pretty happy with how it's all coming together. The magician will be positioned on the lower courtyard gesturing 'off cam'

Anyway it feels good to be getting hobby time again and please feel free to critic.

Cheers

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Blog Entries

Looks SICK! Welcome back! I like the orange and green on the dude. And you demon looks so great. Nice to see a more "realistic" treatment of a big monster like that.

Heeeeeee's Bbbbbbbbbaaaaaaaaacccccccccckkkkkkk!!!!!!!!! Welcome back man. And what an entrance.
    ." -Me-