Tim's WIP's - Page 3
Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Tim's WIP's

Hi Folks it's been awhile (has it really been a over a year?)

Sadly work, toddler and a huge drop in motivation means I haven't held a paint brush since my last up date....until recently that is! I've shelved the dio for the time being as I feel I may have bitten off more than I could chew with that one (I will come back to it in due course though) Instead I've been putting some colour on another Mierce sculpt that's been sitting in the cupboard mocking me. I'm only about 2 hours in at the moment but I'm starting to like where it's going. Obviously it needs far more work but I'd love to hear your thoughts

Cheers

Tim
    Name:  1033.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  237.9 KBName:  Wip.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  215.6 KB
    Last edited by Darthmarsh; 07-10-2014 at 01:36 PM.

Glad to see you back at it! It's not about how much or how often, just that you paint at all that counts
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Thanks Zab.

Still feels a bit slack though

Welcome back. Those Mierce minis look to have awesome detail.

Woah, that is one cool mini... keep it up man, this looks promising!
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Hi Kbear it's good to be back! The quality that Mierce put out is amazing. This little beastly was sculpted by Daniel Cockersell (from Weta and previously Forgeworld) and it's fair to say he's probably my favourite mini sculptor. Although stop looking as I doubt your missus will appreciate a new truck load of kickstarter boxes turning up at your door

Hi Meph thanks for stopping by. Big fan of your Blood Angels Spartan by the way. The tracks look incredibly and I can't wait to see it when it's all dirtied up

Ok only a little more work on the skin last night and i'm a little torn. Originally I was basing my skin tone from the Darkness (Legend) loved the film as a kid and that version has always screamed big stompy, badass demon to me, however I think in reality it's a little too red and flat. I was really liking the the more subtle dark red with the purple and I think I will add a few glazes to tone it back down. I'm also thinking of introducing a second colour to the face. Maybe some warm dark grey or warm light purple. Just to bring the focus back to the head and add some more interest. thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Morning all

it's pretty late here in blighty but I've been bitten by the painting bug and it will not be denied! Tonight I've given Malacant's a break while I debate when to go with his skin shade.

Instead I've been working on a little friend that i'm planing to a base with him. The Warmaster Horus.

A couple of firsts for me really. This is my first human head and first go at human flesh. I had no idea how to approach it and was more than a little intimidated by the level of detail. I also know that in order to sell the whole figure I need to get the head right. Then i was totally inspired while browsing through Tommie's thread and Facebook page (which I highly recommend by the way https://www.facebook.com/GolemPainti...=photos_stream) on it I found a excellent photographic tutorial on the very same head sculpt! I don't have the same paints as Tommy so I've made do with some Vallejo model colour that I've mixed up but I've got to say I'm very happy with the results.

The only thing that lets it down in my eyes is the tiny bit of bobbling and the slightly deformed right ear both of which are far beyond my ability to fix. Instead I've managed to convince myself that the Warmaster has a few moles and a cauliflower ear (well you would be a little beaten up if you where the head of a billion strong army of murderous, devil worshiping nutjobs) I've still a little more detailing to do and I'm toying with the idea of a red OSL which will originate from the amours collar but otherwise I think it's done

As always crits are more than welcome

Cheers

Tim
    Last edited by Darthmarsh; 07-11-2014 at 09:19 PM.

Loks good Tim. May want to duplicate the hair stuble blue/black near his ears into the beard and mustache area.

Thanks Kbear. The effect I was going for was more a pallid, borg like flesh tone, shall i add more blues?

Pallid is a good way to go. If the current blue is just to represent thin translucen skin then you do not need to add much more.

OK brilliant. I might add just a wee bit anyway just to cool the skin down a fraction. He looks to health at the moment

I've started his armour tonight and I'm finding getting smooth blends over the large flat surfaces a complete bugger! i'll see if I can get some photo's tomorrow as I could really do with some advise.

Also did a little more detailing to Malacant's face and skin tonight again any crits more than welcome.

Right it's late I'm off to bed

RAAAAAAAA!
    Name:  image (16).jpeg
Views: 339
Size:  124.0 KBName:  image (17).jpeg
Views: 337
Size:  88.0 KB

Wow, the face is looking fantastic. Really menacing!

Indeed, that ighter colour really suits it!
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Cheers Guys, appreciate it.

I've worked a little more on Horus today. Still a very long way to go but i'm happier than I was last night with the armour. I think putting his head on helped a lot (it's not clued yet) It gave me a better idea of how the figure is coming along as a whole and stopped me from staring at green for hours on end (I was starting to feel like Johnny Nice Painter!)

That pale face really pops against the dark armor. Cool . And Malacant's face...just WOW!

Thanks Kbear

I'm find having more than one mini on the go really helps keep me motivated. If I hit a wall on one, I put it aside and work on the other for a while. I switched back to Malacant today and decided to have a go at painting the leather straps, chains and some TMM on the shoulder. After painting and repainting the bloody thing about 4 times i've got the metal to a point where i'm starting to like it. I used Vallejo steel as a base then painted multiple coloured glazes over the top to give it some colour variation. I then shaded down using blue them some very thin null oil washes to dirty it up. Like I say i'm pretty happy with the effect. I just need to tidy it up a little and then replicate it across the rest of him

Nice work on the skin and metals and damn Hours looks good in the old legion colors.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Goof stuff, man. Especially that metal on his shoulder, like wow, sheesh, pfff, dude, awesome!
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

Cheers Zab and Meph your positive comments really do help me keep going through the tough times. Which is exactly what I'm experiencing now. OH Horus why do you hate me?

This little bugger is just full of teeny tiny gold decoration! How can I paint something I can't even see?!? I've being trying to work out why Horus felt the need to adorn himself from head to foot in bling and the only reason that makes any sense to me is he was 'ill equipped' in the manhood department. Billions of people dead in the 31st millennium all because one crazed meathead had a minuscule Todger!
    Last edited by Dragonsreach; 07-21-2014 at 12:10 AM.

I had to go back and paint over some of the greens where my brush slipped but here's where I am so far with the gold

Thoughts?