Hey eBayers!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey eBayers!

Default Hey eBayers!

Why can't we all use a little common sense and quit bidding up the Zombicide promos??? I can't believe some of these auctions are approaching $1000.00 - these are little plastic figures we're talking about! Don't get me wrong, I'm obviously all about getting these figures for my game (since I've done nothing but talk about the promos on this forum) but if we, as eBay buyers, would just take a small stance and not jump all over these auctions like mad men, then we could would all benefit and be able to get these things at a reasonable cost. I don't blame the folks listing these - who doesn't want as much money as they can get - but I do blame people for running up the bids. There should be a price point that goes from reasonable to ridiculous. Don't assume it is always real people you are bidding against - eBay has a notorious history of people using methods to run up their bids to try and maximize their profit. And now that GenCon is over and these promos were given out with all three games, there will be a sudden influx of promos to purchase. Let's all calm down and bring the prices back down to acceptable levels (and, yes, I know "acceptable" means different things to different people). One last thing: don't buy into the fact that these promos are becoming rarer and rarer because they aren't available - CMON had plenty of them and I suspect they will have plenty of them for a long time to come.

As someone who missed out on season 1 (damn that divorce), i couldn't agree more. But i suspect that this is really wishful thinking.

I'm afraid you are wasting your time, Mark. Running up bids aside, it all comes down to supply and demand. In this case people will want the "exclusive" and the "limited" even though it doesn't have a major impact on game play. I've given up trying to get the S1 promos and instead just printed off some card stock versions posted over on BGG. Work just as well and it cost me $0.50 instead of the ridiculous prices on eBay. With Season 2 almost on our doorsteps, you'll forget you even needed the S1 promos.

Quote Originally Posted by markallanreynolds View Post
    One last thing: don't buy into the fact that these promos are becoming rarer and rarer because they aren't available - CMON had plenty of them and I suspect they will have plenty of them for a long time to come.
    I don't recall where I saw this, but I believe it came from either CMON or GG:

5% extra were made to cover problems. These are what they are currently giving away at GenCon, so I would not expect them to last all that much longer.
    In memoriam - the Tearful 107, May 6th 2012

(banner by Joshua "Cornbread" Harris (AKA: Skittlebrau))

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    I don't recall where I saw this, but I believe it came from either CMON or GG:

5% extra were made to cover problems. These are what they are currently giving away at GenCon, so I would not expect them to last all that much longer.
    Well I'm not sure what they are basing their 5% on because I don't know how many overall figures were produced, but for the short term I think they are still stocked up from the look of things at GenCon. Of course, there's no way to tell for sure. They might run out tomorrow. I just curse my own luck for, once again, being in the right place at the wrong time (I was at GenCon Thursday before the arrival of PO and TCM).

On a brighter note, the two games looked fabulous and I can't wait to start playing them!!!!!

I can see why this supply and demand thing happened on the first KS. I was not aware of the game and few knew how popular it would be. So I confess I paid more for the figures than they are worth, But the way I did it, I paid less than $25 per pair. Sorry, I had to have the originals not the proxies. But what truely amazes me is why is it happening again? Didn't we learn anything from the first KS? I suspect that one of the reasons the Chapter 2 KS did so well is that there were lots of guys out there thinking ooh I'll get extras and sell them on eBay. Thus the "pre-sale" listings at high prices. I have to admit I was irritated by those guys who went to Gen Con, picked up their games and immediately put them on eBay.
    Sky

Oh I'm sure I'll eventually get them and pay more than they're worth - heck, they are little pieces of plastic after all Still, it irks me to know that a ton of people showed up at GenCon, bought the new games and received free promos then immediately pumped them into eBay at inflated prices...that's why I have been so insistent that CMON should at least look for an alternative way for REAL players of the game to get these figures without being raped by the folks on eBay...and please, people, don't bring up the proxies again. I play them and understand their value.

Well I'm not sure what they are basing their 5% on because I don't know how many overall figures were produced, but for the short term I think they are still stocked up from the look of things at GenCon. Of course, there's no way to tell for sure. They might run out tomorrow. I just curse my own luck for, once again, being in the right place at the wrong time (I was at GenCon Thursday before the arrival of PO and TCM).

On a brighter note, the two games looked fabulous and I can't wait to start playing them!!!!!
    They had cases of them at GenCon, I saw the stacks of boxes while they were opening them. WAY more than 5%. I also know that Dave gives them away for person favors and such. I have a friend who works for Riot Games, and Dave gave him a copy of each of the Season 1 LEs in exchange for a ton of Riot Points for his son...

eBay just makes me shake my head in wonder. Case in point: there was a Set #1 at the Buy-It-Now price of $100...which is currently sitting at $102. Why to bid yourselves up people!! If what joshuar56 says is correct, hey Dave can you hook a man up?!? LOL.

So we gave them well over two million dollars, they break their word, give non-pledgers the game first, give away free what we paid for in advance and deal under the table? Am I getting this correctly?

As far as eBay goes, there is no rationale to explain bidding fever.
    Sky

I don't know if I see it that way entirely, but a case could be made against them using those theories. I truthfully see a company that is "doing business" as most companies do, and when you start mixing in million of dollars, giveaways, pre-sales and pickups, well things can get a bit messy. But this thread is threatening of going off-topic, so I'm going to steer it back in the correct direction: if we, as eBayers, would just stand united for a few days, we could drive these prices back down to reasonable amounts. I don't mind someone making a profit from eBay (I've personally done this by selling cases I customized for Zombicide). Here's where the difference lies: originally I sold my first case at $100. Many people told me they thought it was an unfair price. I dropped it to $75. I sold 1 at that price. Afterwards, people still chimed in that the price was too high. I lowered it to $60 and, instead of making the original buyer take a $15 hit, I refunded the difference to him (by my choice, not his request). I thought that only fair. So I wish others would follow suit: make a profit (that's why you're selling obviously) but don't take advantage of people just because you can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance King View Post
    So we gave them well over two million dollars, they break their word, give non-pledgers the game first, give away free what we paid for in advance and deal under the table? Am I getting this correctly?

As far as eBay goes, there is no rationale to explain bidding fever.

Your cases are pretty cool and the way you do business is even better. Kudos!

I agree that profit is important but I also am a firm believer in customer / business loyalty (a two way street). I have bought eight cars from the same dealership and they give me and my family great prices AND service. They go the extra mile for me all the time and the owner calls me by name. He even knows what two cars are mine when they are in his shop! If CMON wants us to keep supporting them over the long haul then they need to avoid making decisions that result in "messy". I canceled my Wrath of Kings bid as I need to rethink how want to suppport them. I will still support Zombicide (my family would give me a head shot if I don't) but maybe I'll buy a bunch of extra sets for chapter 3 and sell them on ebay at cost plus expenses! Wouldn't that torque up a few people!!
    Last edited by Lance King; 08-19-2013 at 03:41 PM.
    Sky

If people are using Buy It Now then that's one thing, but when something is bought via an auction you can't blame the seller for how much the item goes for - it is the bidders, and the eventual buyer, that choose how much they're willing to pay for it, not the seller.
    In memoriam - the Tearful 107, May 6th 2012

(banner by Joshua "Cornbread" Harris (AKA: Skittlebrau))

I agree. That's why I'm trying to convince the masses who go on eBay and bid like there's no tomorrow to calm down and look at this thing logically: there's more than enough of these things to go around and we can all get some at decent prices if people would stop banging heads against one another and driving the prices sky high. I researched a ton of the completed Zombicide related auctions - more often than not, the same bidders keep popping up. That can only mean 2 things: instead of taking turns and buying items, they're trying to outbid one another until the $ amount has gone crazy OR there is a group of connected eBayers who are purposely driving these auctions up - either way, it needs to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    If people are using Buy It Now then that's one thing, but when something is bought via an auction you can't blame the seller for how much the item goes for - it is the bidders, and the eventual buyer, that choose how much they're willing to pay for it, not the seller.

they're trying to outbid one another until the $ amount has gone crazy OR there is a group of connected eBayers who are purposely driving these auctions up.
    I'm going to guess the first one, otherwise we're going to start talking conspiracy theory here. The main problem with your idea, Mark, is getting people that don't know each other or communicate with one another to take turns. Would I want to let someone have something I wanted at a low price just so I can get the next one? Not really for a variety of factors. It's like waiting for a life raft on a sinking ship, not many people are going to be gracious about it. It'll get ugly (like the eBay prices have).

Hey at least you're honest about it LOL Of course, I know you're right. Just wishing things were different and such.

I too am amazed (dismayed) about how the exclusive miniatures for Zombicide are pricing in the current market. I have given up on attaining any of the actual promo minis. However, there is a very simple alternative if one can let go of the need for the "official limited addition figure." Simply produce a card for the mini and use an alternative figure. So many of the Zombicide miniatures have excellent proxies out there! I am putting my efforts toward getting them. Limited supply of the promos and the demand created by all the buzz around the game will keep the prices high for quite a while. I love the game and want to play. I'll be able to complete assigning proxies for almost all the promos before the prices ever come down.

The the worst part about these "con exclusives" is that the only way to get them at GenCon is to buy a copy of the game. If you already have the game you can't just buy the figs. CMoN doesn't give a crap about you if they already have your money...

I understand your anger, but CMON is promoting the game. They are not a charitable organization, but a business. As a result I guess I don't expect them to care about you or me. I also understand why they don't produce the promos for people to buy after the fact, although they could produce them down the road in metal so everyone would know they are not the collectable rewards for early investors. That's right! I said it,"investors!" Those promos were designed to reward those who took a chance and put the money up before the game hit the street. I was late to the party so I missed out. A lot of loyal customers and CMON faithful did. I also think it sucks that profiteers bought the game just to make money selling the promos and game parts on eBay. What can you do? It is legitimate to take a risk and make a profit, although at times it seems (and maybe is) predatory the way they go about it. In a perfect world those of us who love the game would be the ones rewarded but ,like the zombie apocalypse, it is not a perfect world!

Quote Originally Posted by vargz View Post
    I understand your anger, but CMON is promoting the game. They are not a charitable organization, but a business. As a result I guess I don't expect them to care about you or me. I also understand why they don't produce the promos for people to buy after the fact, although they could produce them down the road in metal so everyone would know they are not the collectable rewards for early investors. That's right! I said it,"investors!" Those promos were designed to reward those who took a chance and put the money up before the game hit the street. I was late to the party so I missed out. A lot of loyal customers and CMON faithful did. I also think it sucks that profiteers bought the game just to make money selling the promos and game parts on eBay. What can you do? It is legitimate to take a risk and make a profit, although at times it seems (and maybe is) predatory the way they go about it. In a perfect world those of us who love the game would be the ones rewarded but ,like the zombie apocalypse, it is not a perfect world!
    If I spend the money to go to gencon, and the time to stop by their booth, as a customer who has supported everyone of their games, they should make the minis available to me for purchase without having to rebuy the game again. Especially when you consider how many they had. They are most definitely still producing them. They say "con exclusive" not "con exclusive for people who spend at least $100 with us".