How many paints do you own?

View Poll Results: How many paints do you own?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-50

12 11.21%
  • 51-100

26 24.30%
  • 101-200

35 32.71%
  • 201-300

18 16.82%
  • 301-500

8 7.48%
  • 500+

3 2.80%
  • Too many to count!

5 4.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many paints do you own?

Default How many paints do you own?

Didn't find a thread on this already, so i thought I'd make one

As someone who is just starting out with this, I'm curious to see how big people's paint collections can grow.

At last count, approximately 94 individual bottles across P3, Valleja, Tamiya, Badger Ghost Tints, and some GW stuff.

Throw in another 18 bottles of ink (largely from GW).

3 bottles of medium (glaze, matt, and gloss).

tl;dr = WAAAAYY too many.

More than I expect to need on a single project, less than the whole range. (But only just!)
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

I checked "more than I can count" but probably more than a hundred, less than two hundred. I don't need em all, though. It comes down to what you need at the time, and having bought them and used them, you stick em in the box-o-paints and leave em be until you need em again. Collections will grow to behemoth proportions, for sure. It's not necessary by any means, it just kinda...happens. Jut don't ask me how many minis I have. I've been packing for a house move this past month, and by god I'm starting to think I may need some counseling. I had no idea I'd accumulated so many. Just...boxes and boxes and boxes. *brrrrrr*
    "Facts are the impregnable bulwark that stands between us and the insidious evil of bullsh*t." - Pikey, over on Nagoyahammer

above 100 i think. about 20-30 i use regulary, the rest is just for show

I've previously commented that i've started a whole new hobby - collecting paints. I am pathologically unable to resist them. Every time i travel back to Europe i find myself buying a few more interesting bits and pieces. And here's the proof...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

im in the 0-50 count
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

I suspect that the key question is not how many paints do people own, but more how many do they regularly use. I'm pretty certain I still have the old citadel tentacle pink that is untouched.

somewhere around 100 and counting but i recently started to branch out from GW and am having trouble stopping. Just hook it to my vieeeeeens!
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

If we're talking just mini paints ~90, but paint in general I can use on minis... I can't even comprehend that. But then again I am an art student, so of course my relatives give me a set every other Christmas. And yet I still go to the art store and get more or specific colors.
    I think I should put all my paints together to see what that would look like and post a pic later.

I only have 34, I have paint envy

I am a color collector more than a mini collector. I have far too many too... The problem I started to read about artist acrylics, my curiosity was growing so I bought some Liquitex and Golden. Knowing that I cannot find them here in China, I have ordered a bit more to lower the shipping cost. I simply love all these transparent dark colors (dark transparent red, green, purple, blue), just to put them on a palette and play with them makes me smile.
    So totally with Vallejo Model color and air, GW old and new range, and the artist acrylics, it should be over 200...

Einion will not like this thread (BTW, long time no see)

200 ish one full gw carry case plus man draw full of em.

i use about 20 of them regularly though. Mainly gw but went nuts and bought far too many when I was introduced to Vallejo.......thanks dragons reach!
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    I went nuts and bought far too many when I was introduced to Vallejo.......thanks dragons reach!
    You're more than Welcome!
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

I know I have a very good addiction to paints and everything else. I have the whole model color and games color line. Three fourth of the collection of the old games workshop. 60 or so of the reaper master series and 25 to 40 of the P3. A bunch of the I think adikolor a bunch of Tamiya and more art crap than I will use in 50 years. My wife promised to burry me with all my crap because its mine hahahah

i would say over $3k worth of crap and still buying 30 to 50 a month of either minis or supplies. Some of the paints are 10 years old and still perfect shape it takes me 3 days to rotate and agitate all of them every 6 months. Just dump it in my grave and cover it over with dirt.

Come to think of it I am collecting paint more than painting. Like the guy a couple posts above this haha
    Last edited by jsteel; 08-24-2013 at 03:13 AM.

I just love colours so can't help myself.

I recently trimmed it down to under 300 (it may even be nearer 200) by dumping new and newish Citadel paints. That tidied things up and revealed a lack of greys
    The Future Of Magic Wash is Klear

supervike: This site is cake, the scoring is icing. Scrape it off if you don't like it, the cake is still delicious!!

Dragonsreach: Oh my goodness, an Orrery and the Time Machine, at this time of the morning. I think I need a stiff cup of tea.

So many and it is just paint (oil and acrylics combined), not counting the soft pastel sticks, felt pens, inks and pigments. Need to use them more...

Why are painting supples so darn addictive?

Hi everyone my name is James Steel and I am addicted to art supples.

haha 12 step for art supplies.

Between 700 and 1000. Yeah, I like paints... Maybe too much.
    “People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf”.
    George Orwell