Sproket's WIP
Page 1 of 81 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Sproket's WIP

Default Sproket's WIP

With my Dark Eldar dio finished I thought I start a new more generic WIP thread for my mini painting projects.

I've decided to attempt a smaller mini in the run up to GD UK partly to keep me busy and stop me fiddling with the dio and partly because I like the mini and I might just have it ready for the GDs. At the speed I paint it's a tall order but I'm giving it a go.

The prep on the mini was pretty standard. Just a matter of cleaning up the mould lines and assembly although he was a bit fiddly in places.
    I've base coated all the flesh areas with Sotek Green as I'm going for an overall blue/green skin tone and it's a really lovely colour to work with. After all those muted and pastel tones on the Scourge it's a joy to work with some vibrant colour again although I'll have to keep my head and not go too lurid. Ignore the red dots under the eye they will be covered up with something less distracting.

Name:  skink1.jpg
Views: 7049
Size:  179.9 KB

Glad to see another WIP thread from you. It's still early but he's looking good so far (of course). I like the bluish green on the face. I'm curious to see what you do with the rest. Plenty of opportunities to play with colors on this one.

Looking really good so far. I love seeing how neatly you paint a miniature up, I always get the impression when you paint you must be really chilled and relaxed.

Quote Originally Posted by RuneBrush View Post
    Looking really good so far. I love seeing how neatly you paint a miniature up, I always get the impression when you paint you must be really chilled and relaxed.
    If only!
    I suppose I do find painting relaxing in so much as it takes me right out of myself. For me painting is a very intense process that takes a lot of concentration, control & focus. After a good painting session I'm knackered!

How is it that I can be impressed by your base coats? Seriously. Look at that brown. Smooth as a baby's bum, narry a splodge nor a wrinkle. *shakes head in disbelief* T'aint natural, I tells yer...
    "Facts are the impregnable bulwark that stands between us and the insidious evil of bullsh*t." - Pikey, over on Nagoyahammer

Seeing a Sproket WIP post is a bit like getting Christmas early. Or at least a second birthday. Or a snow day. Or something. The point is, it's always a pleasant surprise!
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    Seeing a Sproket WIP post is a bit like getting Christmas early. Or at least a second birthday. Or a snow day. Or something. The point is, it's always a pleasant surprise!
    Ditto. This is the second wip on this mini that i have seen and they are both getting a different treatment, yet are both looking cool.

I keep hitting refresh just to see if you've uploaded any more progress. Always amazing stuff.
    Do you not prime your plastic miniatures?

Now I've got a little more of the Skink painted I'm getting a feel for the colour palette I'll be using. Normally I'd think things through more but I dived right into painting this mini with just a few reference pics and a vague feeling of what I wanted to do. Look like the overall scheme will revolve around a strong blue and orange/gold contrast. With the greens and reds giving more nuance and variety to those colours.

Name:  skink1b.jpg
Views: 6531
Size:  232.7 KBName:  skink1a.jpg
Views: 6567
Size:  170.7 KB

Do you paint straight on the plastic? Curious 'cause it looks more like that then primer ;P

Anyway, nice Skink! Love it
    My painting blog: The Way of the Painter

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrox View Post
    I keep hitting refresh just to see if you've uploaded any more progress. Always amazing stuff.
    Do you not prime your plastic miniatures?
    Quote Originally Posted by VeristicalBlaze View Post
    Do you paint straight on the plastic? Curious 'cause it looks more like that then primer ;P

Anyway, nice Skink! Love it
    No I don't use a primer on my minis these days. I go straight in with a basecoat of whatever colour I'm using. I've developed a preference/prejudice for working this way over the years. My minis are display only so I don't need the 'toughness' of a primer and the less coats of paint on a mini the better. I do have to spend a bit of extra time applying the basecoat in lots of thin layers but it works for me and I like the results.

Very nice green on blue for the skin I like it! I would never have thought about not base coating a mini it seems.....heretical somehow! But obviously works will have to give it a go myself.
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

One week in to painting and so far so good, but lots more to do and a fair bit of refinement needed!

Name:  skink1i.jpg
Views: 6268
Size:  252.0 KBName:  skink1j.jpg
Views: 6574
Size:  237.3 KB

The paintjob in so clean and precise that leaves me astonished. I'll be very interested in following this wip.

Quote Originally Posted by Sproket View Post
    If only!
    I suppose I do find painting relaxing in so much as it takes me right out of myself. For me painting is a very intense process that takes a lot of concentration, control & focus. After a good painting session I'm knackered!
    but the results are worth it right? it's great to see another WIP thread from you. i love how bright and vibrant your minis are

A few more Skink pics to bring things up to date. Painting to a tight deadline and putting in so many hours over a few weeks is providing me with a very different painting experience but I'm really enjoying it. I don't think I could cary on at this pace indefinitely but I've a feeling that this mini will have quite an effect on how I paint minis in the future.

Name:  skink1m.jpg
Views: 6198
Size:  262.3 KBName:  skink1n.jpg
Views: 5967
Size:  247.0 KBName:  skink1o.jpg
Views: 6005
Size:  264.9 KBName:  skink1p.jpg
Views: 5860
Size:  250.0 KB

That looks amazing. I really love the skin tone. Is that all done with a brush or did you use an air brush in there somewhere?

Looks fantastic, Sprocket. Love the color transitions.

On a side note, a random guy was looking at my scourge during my group's monthly painting meet up. I told him 'if you think that's good, take a look at this' and pulled up your scourge diorama on my phone. It was fun to watch the guy's jaw hit the floor.

I can not make my mind up if I like the dark or light version on the side of the gold helmet, the light is more realistic but there was something about the dark shadow that stood out.

I know your rushed for time so don't listen to my ramblings
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.