Sproket's WIP - Page 70
Page 70 of 81 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,400 of 1601

Thread: Sproket's WIP

nice! looking forward to see you lift another sword mate (not really, grumble grumble )

Right, it's time for the reveal of 'Project Farseer'. In total I had seven weeks for this project including conversion and painting and things seem to be on schedule. The mini is at quite and advanced stage although I've yet to paint the base and I've a few special effects planned once thats done.

Here are a couple of pics of the earlier stages. I decided to set myself the challenge of using black as the base colour for this mini and its been quite a change for me to go back to something I did when I first learnt to paint minis!

Name:  farseer1.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  260.3 KBName:  farseer2.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  278.0 KBName:  farseer5.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  237.9 KBName:  farseer8.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  247.6 KB

Very nice piece Dave.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Holy crap on a cracker.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

The robe is unreal. And the gems are a real work of art, there.

Yea man...you are way too good...
    For HIS glory, by HIS Grace,
    TheLost

My WIP thread: http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...34-TheLost-WIP

Soooo interesting what a difference the basecoat makes. You can sort of tell this has a different approach to your usual work. This feels much darker and toned down. Real cool.

Not saying which I prefer tho

This is going to be a productive retirement! I can't remember progress that quick from you before. Looking great!

Holy shioli David!!!! Superior paintwork yet again..

Never ceases to amaze.

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by ischa View Post
    Soooo interesting what a difference the basecoat makes. You can sort of tell this has a different approach to your usual work. This feels much darker and toned down. Real cool.

Not saying which I prefer tho
    It's been an interesting experience to go back to using black after all these years and as you say the difference shows. I wanted a moodier feel to the colour scheme on my farseer and using black as a base and in my mixes has helped.

I'm making good progress and about to turn my attention to the base which is just as well as I've a busy, painting free, weekend ahead!

Name:  farseer9.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  277.9 KBName:  farseer10.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  262.4 KBName:  farseer11.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  254.1 KBName:  farseer12.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  277.9 KBName:  farseer13.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  280.4 KB

Absolutely gorgeous work, Sproket. The cream cloak is so well done and presents the appearance of such a nice soft texture against the hard and highly reflective metals and jewels. Personally (well, if I could paint as well!) I would think about punching up the jewels on the crest of the helmet; the energy effect on the crest and the business end of the spear is very effective, but the lack of gold edging on the crest leads to them being somewhat visually absorbed into the background. Maybe you could try a kind of hotspot where the actual jewel meets the wraithbone(?), or an exaggerated shadow (kind of like on the lower of the two on each side, actually). Or I could imagine trying to apply a 'rim' lighting effect like what Bailey has been up to.
    I'm just trying to offer any suggestion I can to perhaps constructively critique this paintjob, but let me also re-emphasize: he is looking incredible!

He looks stunning Dave but I think Saint has a point with the crest gem. It is kinda getting lost into the background. I feel terrible saying that though as there is no way I could ever produce something quite so lovely

Photshop and change it to a blue green gem instead and see if that is better?

/K
    work is boring when it gets in the way of my painting.

Great work.

Apologies if this question was asked and answered before. I imagine the stippling technique you use to be quite heavy on the brushes. Do you just burn through cheap brushes designated for stippling, or is there some special type of brush you use, that has the kind of tip which can withstand the constant prodding?

Excellent job. Great attention to detail.
    .................................................. ........
    Here is a link to the stuff I have painted:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/MrJim

Here is a link to my WIP thread:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...rJim-s-ADD-WIP

Here is a link to my favorite Miniatures Website:
    http://www.competitionminis.com/
    .................................................. ........

FIRST OFF OWWWW WHERE IS THAT PIN DRILL AIMED !!!!lol next I might have to disagree (with class as always gents)Guys this is a pro there is no critique he has 3 swords and doing this longer than anybody that should be noticed the electrical effect is amazing and prob still working on that area but if not it's perfect as is.i honestly looked at this 10 or so times throughout the day really wanting to try to find a reason to agree with you guys but I honestly and in my most deep rooted sincerity in the very pit of my being,I can't...believe me I wish I could find something to say to me SOPER ,this way he could say "hey thanks blood that's a super idea!" Lol But the fact is is he is part of a small group of people who don't just do this better than us THEY DO IT PERFECTLY!! They don't make mistakes..ever ....never ever ever..not even in a fantasy in a dream.has accomplished waaay more than myself and any ten great painters combined ,and all I can think when looking at this is -HOLY SHITE - it's the highest level painting can be aspired to. It's perfect!!! :-)))) ......btw still looking at this!!! Lol
    Last edited by BloodASmedium; 10-29-2016 at 08:11 PM.

I always enjoy looking at your thread Sproket. You do beautiful work, and this is no exception. With regards to the gems on the crest, I agree that they do fade into the crest a little bit, but I personally wouldn't change them. I think another colour added to an already busy (in a good way) area would take away from the overall effect. However, the real reason I'm taking the time to comment is because of BloodASmedium's comment regarding criticism and constructive feedback.

I believe that no matter the caliber or experience of the painter, they can always improve. Furthermore, I believe that we all want to improve. Feedback is critical to growth, and I think it's fantastic when people take the time to share their thoughts and opinions. I hope that people continue to give feedback, regardless of how long they've been painting or how "good" they are at painting, and that they provide that feedback to both the newest and the most experienced painters. Suggesting that someone isn't qualified to give feedback or share their opions because they haven't been painting long enough isn't what's contributed to the growth of painting we've seen in the last 20 years.

P.s. BloodASmedium, as I silently lurk on your thread too, and love the work you do. No disrespect intended : ) I just wanted to share my thoughts on the importance of feedback within the community!

Glorious stuff Sproket! The only question I have (don't mention the gems, must not mention the gems) is about the ribbon you're using to connect it to the base: in the second picture above the inside-middle appears to be gold, but in the fourth picture the end is gold. Is this the bare metal, or the final colour, that you're part way through painting with the pictures taken at different times? Or not? Or am I going mad?

Thanks for all your comments guys!

Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    Absolutely gorgeous work, Sproket. The cream cloak is so well done and presents the appearance of such a nice soft texture against the hard and highly reflective metals and jewels. Personally (well, if I could paint as well!) I would think about punching up the jewels on the crest of the helmet; the energy effect on the crest and the business end of the spear is very effective, but the lack of gold edging on the crest leads to them being somewhat visually absorbed into the background. Maybe you could try a kind of hotspot where the actual jewel meets the wraithbone(?), or an exaggerated shadow (kind of like on the lower of the two on each side, actually). Or I could imagine trying to apply a 'rim' lighting effect like what Bailey has been up to.
    I'm just trying to offer any suggestion I can to perhaps constructively critique this paintjob, but let me also re-emphasize: he is looking incredible!
    I've thought about your comments on the jewell but I've decided to stick with how it is. My thought was that as the crest begins to light up with the energy effect the jewells would become less obvious and defined untill the whole thing would be a glowing blue mass.

Quote Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
    Great work.

Apologies if this question was asked and answered before. I imagine the stippling technique you use to be quite heavy on the brushes. Do you just burn through cheap brushes designated for stippling, or is there some special type of brush you use, that has the kind of tip which can withstand the constant prodding?
    Stippling isn't all that tough on my brushes as it's quite a controlled process. Cheap brushes wouldn't have a good enough tip to give a fine controlled stipple so you need something with a bit of quality to it. I do stipple with my series 7 sable brushes but I also use a synthetic/sable mix which works very well. Windsor & Newton Septer or Cottman brushes do very nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    FIRST OFF OWWWW WHERE IS THAT PIN DRILL AIMED !!!!lol next I might have to disagree (with class as always gents)Guys this is a pro there is no critique he has 3 swords and doing this longer than anybody that should be noticed the electrical effect is amazing and prob still working on that area but if not it's perfect as is.i honestly looked at this 10 or so times throughout the day really wanting to try to find a reason to agree with you guys but I honestly and in my most deep rooted sincerity in the very pit of my being,I can't...believe me I wish I could find something to say to me SOPER ,this way he could say "hey thanks blood that's a super idea!" Lol But the fact is is he is part of a small group of people who don't just do this better than us THEY DO IT PERFECTLY!! They don't make mistakes..ever ....never ever ever..not even in a fantasy in a dream.has accomplished waaay more than myself and any ten great painters combined ,and all I can think when looking at this is -HOLY SHITE - it's the highest level painting can be aspired to. It's perfect!!! :-)))) ......btw still looking at this!!! Lol
    That's all Very flattering but having three swords won't prevent me from making mistakes! I think that one of the big advantages of being an experienced painter is not that I don't make mistakes. Intead its knowing that I will and do make many mistakes but I have (I hope) the confidence and experience to work through them. I tend not to show my mistakes because I've resolved then as a part of my regular painting process.

The comments and criticism I get here are something I value very highly! It's all to easy to get locked into seeing your work from a narow point of view and, as a result, missing something that might be obvious to others. Sometimes the comments I've had have pointed out a fault I totally missed of simply made me consider another viewpoint that had not occured to me. At the very least they help me to consider my decisions. I alway think back to my Tomb King and how the feedback I got on this very forum kept prompting me to work on the pose untill I got it right. Never stop the comments & critique!

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtail View Post
    Glorious stuff Sproket! The only question I have (don't mention the gems, must not mention the gems) is about the ribbon you're using to connect it to the base: in the second picture above the inside-middle appears to be gold, but in the fourth picture the end is gold. Is this the bare metal, or the final colour, that you're part way through painting with the pictures taken at different times? Or not? Or am I going mad?

What you are seeing is the bare unpainted metal where I will glue the mini onto the base.

And finally a little teaser!

Name:  icon2.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  34.1 KB
    Last edited by Sproket; 11-03-2016 at 09:36 AM.