Sproket's WIP - Page 68
Page 68 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 1601

Thread: Sproket's WIP

Quote Originally Posted by MightyChad View Post
    So when you use the stippling/glaze method, do you find it is faster or slower? Do you use it on most surfaces, or just to achieve certain textures?

I have always been impressed with your work in this WIP log, and I was stoked when you started the Megaboss! Thanks for posting all of these inspirational photos.
    Thank you!

I find stippling a faster way of painting than layering. It takes practice but the stipple action is quite speedy and can build up the colour fairly rapidly.

I've used stippling for all sorts of surface textures but mostly flesh and metals/armour. The trick is to restrict it's use on an individual mini. Stippling looks best in contrast to smooth areas and other types of texture.

Thank you, friend, for investing the time to answer my questions. Your responses and instruction are more meaningful to me than you could ever imagine.

Regarding stippling technique, I assume there is very little dilution going on? This would suit me anyway, because I find that I haven't been diluting my paints much at all lately. I've found that many paints come out of the bottle just fine for painting (excuse my digression here).

I will be putting some of your techniques/recipes to the test here shortly. In fact, if you find the time to check on my wip you'll see that your copper has been properly gaffled (1990s urban American term meaning stolen).
    ​You are ranked 1 out of 9149 artists.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

Quote Originally Posted by BloodFather of Kharnath View Post
    Thank you, friend, for investing the time to answer my questions. Your responses and instruction are more meaningful to me than you could ever imagine.

Regarding stippling technique, I assume there is very little dilution going on? This would suit me anyway, because I find that I haven't been diluting my paints much at all lately. I've found that many paints come out of the bottle just fine for painting (excuse my digression here).

I will be putting some of your techniques/recipes to the test here shortly. In fact, if you find the time to check on my wip you'll see that your copper has been properly gaffled (1990s urban American term meaning stolen).
    Nicely 'gaffled' there!

I always dilute my paint - even when drybushing! If you don't dilute your paint when stippling you can build up a rough texture. In itself that's quite a useful trick but I usually prefer a smooth surface finish to my stipple effect.

Painting Aristocracy, a trio of slayer sword winners

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 721
Size:  267.6 KB

Richard Gray, David Soper & Gareth Nicholas.

Quote Originally Posted by ten ball View Post
    Painting Aristocracy, a trio of slayer sword winners

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 721
Size:  267.6 KB

Richard Gray, David Soper & Gareth Nicholas.
    Note to self: Don't stand next to tall slim people, and throw that awful shirt in the bin!

Love how you are going with the steel and red armor. It looks incredible!!! Especially the almost random selection of steel here or red there. Obviously not random because it is balanced in its asymmetry. Also love how you resisted painting the elbows red...
    ​You are ranked 1 out of 9149 artists.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

Holy mackerel !!! Holy shioli , HOLY SHITES!!! Splendid, outstanding , and phenomenol all at the same damn time David!!!!

If your going for any saliva , I recommend glass beads.
    But saying that you might of told me that anyway.

1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Hardly a new observation, but that metallic effect is really startling. Incredible dedication there.

My saliva came naturally looking at the progress shot.....oh wait, you were talking about the mini? I guess I will spit out the glass beads now.

I believe this is called teaching your Grandmother to suck eggs!

I'm not planning to add saliva to the megaboss but the severed Dracoth head on the base will have a fair bit of drool. That's why I added the tounge flopping out of it's jaws.

Name:  megaboss2c.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  276.6 KB
    Last edited by Sproket; 09-03-2016 at 11:10 AM.

Good good, I recommend glass beads for that also
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Stunning mini yet again!

What do you do to get your primer/base coats on so smooth?
    For HIS glory, by HIS Grace,
    TheLost

My WIP thread: http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...34-TheLost-WIP

Quote Originally Posted by TheLost View Post
    Stunning mini yet again!

What do you do to get your primer/base coats on so smooth?
    I don't use primer it's just another layer of paint between me & the mini.

I use GW's foundation paints to lay down a base coat. I dilute the paint and apply multiple thin coats. The first few coats will look patchy but a smooth even finish will gradually build up as long as each coat is bone dry before you apply the next one. It takes between three and five coats to get the desired finish.

I'm actually a man! Rose Model Art's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Random question David.

How are you taking your pictures, specifically, is it a usual light box type affair, camera on tripod etc? if so do you take pics far away from the model and crop in post, or do you take the picture close up?

There's 2 schools of thought and i find focusing far away is hard and i get noise in my pics. Also do you use a light facing the model or just form above\sides etc.?

I ask as its the one bit i cant seem to sort out with my display pics and i need to sort it out

Lovely warboss. as usual making us all look like thumb-fisted children.

Quote Originally Posted by Sproket View Post
    I don't use primer it's just another layer of paint between me & the mini.

I use GW's foundation paints to lay down a base coat. I dilute the paint and apply multiple thin coats. The first few coats will look patchy but a smooth even finish will gradually build up as long as each coat is bone dry before you apply the next one. It takes between three and five coats to get the desired finish.
    Is using/not using primer mainly a personal preference? Does it seem to make blending smoother? And finally, do you have any problems with paint adhesion when you paint straight on to the mini? Thanks
    For HIS glory, by HIS Grace,
    TheLost

My WIP thread: http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...34-TheLost-WIP

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Model Art View Post
    Random question David.

How are you taking your pictures, specifically, is it a usual light box type affair, camera on tripod etc? if so do you take pics far away from the model and crop in post, or do you take the picture close up?

There's 2 schools of thought and i find focusing far away is hard and i get noise in my pics. Also do you use a light facing the model or just form above\sides etc.?

I ask as its the one bit i cant seem to sort out with my display pics and i need to sort it out

Lovely warboss. as usual making us all look like thumb-fisted children.
    I use a light box and a tripod. My 2 lights (the same ones I paint under) are to the front and either side of the mini. My camera is about 20cm from the mini If I get too close it won't focus properly.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLost View Post
    Is using/not using primer mainly a personal preference? Does it seem to make blending smoother? And finally, do you have any problems with paint adhesion when you paint straight on to the mini? Thanks
    Not using primer is totally a personal preference. It doesn't help make my blending any smoother but It does help to keep the details crisp. I always clean my minis off with soapy water and an old toothbrush before I base coat to help with paint adhesion. Sometimes the first couple of coats are a bit patchy if I've diluted them a bit too much but it sorts itself out with further coats.

I'm actually a man! Rose Model Art's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks for that. Helps me out with the pick a tyoores