Sproket's WIP - Page 30
Page 30 of 81 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast

Thread: Sproket's WIP

Quote Originally Posted by Sproket View Post
    I think I must be showing my old school roots and harkening back to the days when Chaos was very colourful! To be honest I'm quite surprised that so many people find the colours on this mini so bright.
    I remember those days well, but I think just about everything was brighter back then (have to love the Orks from that era). I think as a whole the industry of fantasy and sci-fi has been moving steadily towards more 'realistic' depictions both in art and media, so seeing a piece that harkens back to brighter times is a little jarring at first - for myself at least. It's a gorgeous piece however and really has made me think about using brighter colours and tones when painting my own miniatures - especially as I have painters block on a Chaos piece at present.

As an aside - I'd love to see your take on the Glottkin

That is a damn fine suit, Sprock. Tailored to you very well. Lookin sharp!
    ​You are ranked 1 out of 9149 artists.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

Blog Entries

Sprokets your slime is really great! I like how you got it to look so globular.

One thing I had a lot of fun with, was to take the clear green sprue from the green blast templates or necrons or whatever and heat it slowly over a candle and melt it into different shapes. You can make some really long curving gouts of slime that way and then glue them in place. It might be a neat idea for the base or whatever.

Didn't feel up to painting at the weekend (I have yet another cold!) so I had a tinker with some ideas for Gutrot's boat. It turned out better than I expected so I forged on with the construction.

There is a lot of work that needs to be done to finish off the detail and add texture but my weekend of experimentation has proven to be far more productive than I ever could have imagined.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

HMS Slayer
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Maybe build the hand raily bit up a bit? otherwise its man over board as soon as you hit a wave. Just my two cents! The wood looks beautifully weathered and I love the prow.
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    Maybe build the hand raily bit up a bit? otherwise its man over board as soon as you hit a wave. Just my two cents! The wood looks beautifully weathered and I love the prow.
    You're psychic - and right! I added an (admittedly low) rail around the edge last night. I've also got plans for an anchor, chains and assorted Nurgly gubbins - and a couple of nurglings of course! There may well also be some tentacles coming out of the water - so all very understated really!

Very nice work so far on the base. I think you can keep the rail as low as possible without looking silly so it doesn't impact viewing the mini. If you make the...er floor(?) lower on the back end of the base it can be as he is standing on a... ledge(?)(I'm awful with nautical terms) Titanic-style.

Like the front part here:
    Name:  skerry-rowing-boat-above.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  36.3 KB

I believe according to a quick search Avelorn, it is the Bowsprit.
    Very evocative base Sproket, will you be adding a figure head?
    Wargames Terrain Workshop
    Home of High Quality Gaming boards, Scenery and Miniature Sculpting

Contact us @ wargamesterrainworkshop@yahoo.co.uk

That is exactly what I imagined for the ship. Great work, overall. I am with WGS that a figurehead could really add to the atmosphere. I would just chain it on, almost like the crew simply yanked it from a town square during a raid and strapped it to the prow(?). I don't think this will be a case of less is more or that you'll overdo the base, because the shape of the ship naturally draws the eye to its passenger.

Poop decks had notoriously low railings. Ok, so it's probably not the poop deck. And yes, I have no idea what I am talking about....
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

Not that the boat doesn't look fine... But let me run your imagination a bit: Have you heard of the Draug? This is a mythical creature from around here, a reaper-like figure who collects the souls of the drowned. He rows around in half a boat, and the boat is made out of the fingernails of those who drowned... Maybe a bit complex to make...

Everyone: Mail your fingernail clipping to Sprocket.

I burn mine to stop the witches getting me
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oistene View Post
    Not that the boat doesn't look fine... But let me run your imagination a bit: Have you heard of the Draug? This is a mythical creature from around here, a reaper-like figure who collects the souls of the drowned. He rows around in half a boat, and the boat is made out of the fingernails of those who drowned... Maybe a bit complex to make...
    Dude, around where? Are you from, like, Eastern Europe? Finger nails?

What about a viking dragon head?

Keep burning them andy, I'm still after you!
    "I was too distracted by the ladies to be scared of your bear. That is the second weirdest sentence I have ever typed on this site o_O"- Zab

"Paint flavored coffee is the bestest!"-me

Brush Brother Moetle

Take a peek you might learn something or teach me something :-)

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...tic-Wonderland

Sproket can I ask you for a qick step by step construction-guide for the boat please? as I always wanted to build exactly that kind of base

Quote Originally Posted by Demihuman View Post
    Dude, around where? Are you from, like, Eastern Europe? Finger nails?

What about a viking dragon head?
    Norway! Doesn't my profile say? Hm, gotta fix that...

I think the Draug is an invention of newer age than the Vikings... Not sure, this will require research.

Thanks for all the comments Guys. You've given me plenty to think about - there are a lot of different ways I could go with this boat. I won't be adding a figure head though. It's a strong temptation but I think it would compete with Gutrot too much. I also think all the other bits & pieces I'm adding will be more than enough. I made a corroded anchor last night and that adds a nice focus to the prow without overdoing the detail.

And although it's a kind thought nobody needs to bother about sending me fingernail clippings.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Sproket can I ask you for a qick step by step construction-guide for the boat please? as I always wanted to build exactly that kind of base
    I've put a write up on my blog HERE

It's a bit sketchy on some of the detail as I was only playing around with card & masking tape at the start. I got into the zone and at the end of things I'd put the boat together. I only expected to make an initial card dummy to figure out the proportions.
    Last edited by Sproket; 02-11-2015 at 08:58 AM.

I'm little confused at your WIP picks of the base. I thought Gutrot was already darn near painted to completion?

Quote Originally Posted by BloodFather of Kharnath View Post
    I'm little confused at your WIP picks of the base. I thought Gutrot was already darn near painted to completion?
    I thought I was going to need two for the conversion work so I have a spare Gutrot.