Sproket's WIP - Page 34
Page 34 of 81 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Sproket's WIP

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf the Grey View Post
    I've never thought of green metal, what made you go this way ?
    Steampunk = Brass.
    Brass can look greenish with Verdigris and wear.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Lovin it! Greens are rockin, colours are amazing again!

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf the Grey View Post
    I've never thought of green metal, what made you go this way ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    Steampunk = Brass.
    Brass can look greenish with Verdigris and wear.
    Thats it exactly. I think the photos may make the metal look more green than it actually is. As Mike said its more greenish than outright green metal. The base colour is Peridot Alchrmy fron Scalecolour. Its an interesting 'cold' greenish gold tone thats perfect for brass. It just looks a lot cheaper than a true gold would. The green also give a good contrast to the reds elsewhere on the mini.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodFather of Kharnath View Post
    He is coming to life, that's for sure! Amazing job all around with the desat pallet. Love the shadows everywhere. Do you plan on keeping the mole highlighted as is, or are you going to give him a nasty brown blemish to follow his namesake.
    There is a tiny mole on his cheek but I'll be leaving it highlighted as it is I dont think a brown blemish would stand out so well.

The long Easter weekend gave me the opportunity to crack on with Mole and get some serious painting time under my belt. As a result I’ve just about finished painting him! That leaves me couple of weeks to sort out a display base and takes a lot of the deadline pressure off my shoulders.
    I’d feared that project ‘moving Mum & Dad’ would seriously impact on my ability to finish Mole in time for Salute. As it turns out Mole took less time to paint than anticipated and I’ve turned him around in a month.

Name:  Mole5a.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  203.0 KBName:  Mole5b.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  197.4 KBName:  Mole5c.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  174.3 KBName:  Mole5d.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  175.0 KBName:  Mole5e.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  205.1 KB

Having just tried stripes on my own mini makes me appreciate yours that much more.
    Looking good!
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Ooooooo more stripes !
    Great stripes though
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Very nice, especially like the amount of weathering on him.
    Wargames Terrain Workshop
    Home of High Quality Gaming boards, Scenery and Miniature Sculpting

Contact us @ wargamesterrainworkshop@yahoo.co.uk

Good luck with the project!!!

As wargamesculptor says, I like the weathering on the miniature but also the way you painted the trousers...

What you have shown us looks great so c´mon and get back to paint.

Many thanks,
    Mariano.

Lovely paint work Sproket , I'm really liking the vest.
    You may have mentioned earlier but too lazy , what breed of figure is that , very nice.

I believe its a pre-release from Infamy.

interested in your use of the alchemy paint from Scalecolour. I have these paints and am kind of clueless on how to use the alchemy paints (except for the pure white one which I add to metallics as a highlight). What are your ideas for the other alchemy paints, if any? And for the brass, you based with peridot alchemy. What did you do after this? Thanks as always!!
    Last edited by BloodFather of Kharnath; 04-08-2015 at 06:50 PM.
    ​You are ranked 1 out of 9149 artists.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

Looking amazing. Great texture on the leather. Great greens too.

Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    Having just tried stripes on my own mini makes me appreciate yours that much more.
    Looking good!
    Quote Originally Posted by ten ball View Post
    Ooooooo more stripes !
    Great stripes though
    The stripes are a sculpted detail so they were easier to paint than they would have been if they were just freehand!

Quote Originally Posted by BloodFather of Kharnath View Post
    I believe its a pre-release from Infamy.

interested in your use of the alchemy paint from Scalecolour. I have these paints and am kind of clueless on how to use the alchemy paints (except for the pure white one which I add to metallics as a highlight). What are your ideas for the other alchemy paints, if any? And for the brass, you based with peridot alchemy. What did you do after this? Thanks as always!!
    Yes Mole is a pre-release from Infamy.

I've posted an update to my blog with a bit of a description on how I painted the metals.

I started with a solid Metallic base colour then built up dilute glazes to create some shading. I used a combination of washes, paints and Inks for the glazing depending on what felt right. I'd assumed that matt shadows would work best but on some areas (especially the brass) that looked off. The paints and inks gave me more control on the level of 'shine in my shadows.

I then highlighted over the glazes. Speed Metal worked really well in the highlight mix for all my metals as its a really bright silver and lightens the other metallics very well.

Then it was a matter of lots of going back and forth with the glazes and highlights to refine the finish & add a bit of texture.

I think everything looks good, except the back of his hand/arm. Not sure if it's the image but it seems to be rougher than the rest.

I'm just getting back into mini's after a 14 year break and was pleased to find this thread. Stunning work all the way through Mr Soper ! I first saw your work in GW Southampton in about 1988 ? Possibly earlier ? It was the Rhino you won GD with, I knew your level was something out of the stratosfear then as you'd shaded the Space Wolf insignia on the shoulder pad. I used to stand at that cabinet for hours watching all the work go around, when you won with the Nurgle Predator though that was something else, especially the scratch built Nurgling ! Then in about 1999 I met you when I worked in the store there, I think you'd done Ariel and also a little tiny wood elf diorama on a circular plinth base, it was all stippled. I've never attained anywhere near your level of painting but it's always been an inspiration to me. Loved reading all this thread, stunning work and your blog is really useful. Thanks for sharing os much with all of us !

Impressive from top to bottom. Every part has it's own unique texture. Such an interesting model will be looking forward to more updates and seeing what you have planned for his base.

Quote Originally Posted by Avelorn View Post
    I think everything looks good, except the back of his hand/arm. Not sure if it's the image but it seems to be rougher than the rest.
    I'm hoping its the picture - the back of the hand is a bit shiny and hasn't photographed all that well. Once I've finished the base I'll be giving Mole the once over and will (hopefully) spot & fix any problems. I will give the back of the hand some close scrutiny!

Quote Originally Posted by eyeayen View Post
    I'm just getting back into mini's after a 14 year break and was pleased to find this thread. Stunning work all the way through Mr Soper ! I first saw your work in GW Southampton in about 1988 ? Possibly earlier ? It was the Rhino you won GD with, I knew your level was something out of the stratosfear then as you'd shaded the Space Wolf insignia on the shoulder pad. I used to stand at that cabinet for hours watching all the work go around, when you won with the Nurgle Predator though that was something else, especially the scratch built Nurgling ! Then in about 1999 I met you when I worked in the store there, I think you'd done Ariel and also a little tiny wood elf diorama on a circular plinth base, it was all stippled. I've never attained anywhere near your level of painting but it's always been an inspiration to me. Loved reading all this thread, stunning work and your blog is really useful. Thanks for sharing os much with all of us !
    Firstly, thank you and secondly you have a very good memory! I think your dates are spot on. It always takes be back a little when someone remembers my work from so long ago. Welcome back to the hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Sproket View Post
    Firstly, thank you and secondly you have a very good memory! I think your dates are spot on. It always takes be back a little when someone remembers my work from so long ago. Welcome back to the hobby.
    Thanks for the reply, I'm an illustrator by trade so could see the skill in your work then, trying to replicate it was impossible for me, shading a shoulder pad's insignia on a space marine is still something I've not mastered fully and I think it always made me try to attain your level. Meeting you and seeing the little wood elves you bought into GW S'ton just reaffirmed my thoughts on how good your style and technique were and that was another 10 years after you won with the predator. I did actually try to make my own sort of homage to your predator, I liked Nurgle at the time your won and they had a "beast of Nurgle" which was like a giant slug with lots of extra tentacles out at the time, so I decided to stay on the tank theme and make a Rhino slug, I made it pretty well, it looked exactly like you'd imagine from the name, I was happy with it until I went into GW Poole and had all of their staff ripping it into me about salt grenades being able to stop it in it's tracks...(no pun intended, it was a slug, it didn't have tracks) The idea was shelved then and is currently in a box somewhere in my garage

I have however this week tried to photograph my old mini's but failed dismally. Are you still using a basic camera as I read about in your blog from a 2012 post or are you using an SLR ? I'm used to camera's and studio work but on a much bigger scale and none of my lenses will allow me to get close enough to get the stunning shots you're achieving, would you mind sharing with us what lens you're using ? - Thanks.
    Last edited by eyeayen; 04-14-2015 at 11:59 AM. Reason: speling mixtake

Quote Originally Posted by eyeayen View Post
    I have however this week tried to photograph my old mini's but failed dismally. Are you still using a basic camera as I read about in your blog from a 2012 post or are you using an SLR ? I'm used to camera's and studio work but on a much bigger scale and none of my lenses will allow me to get close enough to get the stunning shots you're achieving, would you mind sharing with us what lens you're using ? - Thanks.
    My photography 'skills' are still very basic and based on a lot of trial & error! I use a Canon powershot SX240 HS and I'm very pleased with the results it gives me for relatively little fuss & bother. I've improved my photography skills over the last couple of years and now no longer use the full auto setting. I manually set the aperture and light metering which has improved things. I still find auto focus works best for me. I've also invested in a cheap tripod (I now consider it indispensible) and a small pop-up light tent and they have also both helped to improve my pics. I still find it best to photograph my minis with as much ambient daylight getting into the room as possible in addition to this I use my painting lamps and a couple of halogen lights which I mix & match as necessary depending on the ambient light.
    The main thing is that I take lots of shots moving my lights around and tweaking the settings and then pick the best ones to show. Typically I take between 20 & 50 for every one that gets shown. As I said lots of trial & error!

Just a quick tease of Mole's display plinth.

Name:  Molebase1.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  244.5 KBName:  Molebase4.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  266.4 KBName:  Molebase3.jpg
Size:  252.5 KBName:  Molebase2.jpg
Size:  144.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Very nice looking base, and thank you for your detailed blog has proved very useful in this last week
    Wargames Terrain Workshop
    Home of High Quality Gaming boards, Scenery and Miniature Sculpting

Contact us @ wargamesterrainworkshop@yahoo.co.uk