Sproket's WIP - Page 13
Page 13 of 81 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Sproket's WIP

There is so much to love about this paint job. You've got that fantastic frog skin, that great old school shield, the tattoos on his arms, all the textures. It's just a freaking cool project. Amazing!

Blog Entries

Yeah, this is really epic. That frog is so realistic.

So, some of you may remember how several times in the past I've built a base for a project only to reject it and start over on a new base...

...here's the new base for Squarg
    Name:  squarg base1.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  199.6 KBName:  squarg base3.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  204.9 KBName:  squarg base2.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  196.4 KB

Once I started painting it I felt the old base looked far too big and blocky for what is a relatively small and compact mini. The new base, like the old one, is constructed from bits of tree bark, roots and resin mushrooms. Unlike the old one it allows Squarg & his frog to be the dominant element of the composition, and I feel it’s far better for it.

New base looks excellent as well, will you be putting resin water on this one or is it too small for that ?
    Wargames Terrain Workshop
    Home of High Quality Gaming boards, Scenery and Miniature Sculpting

Contact us @ wargamesterrainworkshop@yahoo.co.uk

As neat as the first base is, I think you made the right decision. Looking back at it the figure does get a bit lost in it. This new one looks like it should work very nicely. Oh well, this just means you'll have to find another project for the original base. Can't wait to see what it is.

Go on admit it, that's a real frog! Simply stunning work

In my learning curve a compact small base is much better than a larger one with less going on. Not that your 1st one was empty, just the smaller feels better already
    Last edited by Canny; 07-10-2014 at 06:52 PM.

I'll just say that this is the best rendition of this particular model I have very seen. The frog is amazing ( I used to have a large number of pet frogs when I lived overseas) I think you have nailed it. Also loving the amazing tattoos, but the detail I like perhaps the most is the dead mouse cloak. The mouse head really looks like it was once alive, perhaps its the pink in the ears?. I've seen a few great paint jobs of this mini but that always almost looks like a fake mouse. Overall this is a very cohesive mini with feeling.

After seeing that last frog model I read this entire thread through. You're ridiculously talented! I'm just starting out into miniature painting but this stuff gives me a great target to shoot for.

Thanks for the comments Guys.
    It can be difficult to give up on something that you have invested a lot of time & effort in but sometimes it is the best thing to do. The new base feels right to me and the old base is still there (along with all my other rejected bases) and might be perfect for a later project. Thats just what happened with the base that I ended up using for Jason and that turned out very well.

Quote Originally Posted by wargamesculptor View Post
    New base looks excellent as well, will you be putting resin water on this one or is it too small for that ?
    No there isn't enough room on the new base so I will have to save the water effects for another day. There is, however, enough room for the beetle that came with the mushrooms so the base will have a little something extra.

Quote Originally Posted by vmpewaith View Post
    I'll just say that this is the best rendition of this particular model I have very seen. The frog is amazing ( I used to have a large number of pet frogs when I lived overseas) I think you have nailed it. Also loving the amazing tattoos, but the detail I like perhaps the most is the dead mouse cloak. The mouse head really looks like it was once alive, perhaps its the pink in the ears?. I've seen a few great paint jobs of this mini but that always almost looks like a fake mouse. Overall this is a very cohesive mini with feeling.
    Thanks! I downloaded just as many reference pics for the mouse as I did for the frog! It may be small but the mouse cloak is one of the key details on the mini and gives it a lot of it's character. It was well worth putting a bit of extra effort to get the colours as accurate as I could.

[QUOTE=Sproket;740221]No there isn't enough room on the new base so I will have to save the water effects for another day. There is, however, enough room for the beetle that came with the mushrooms so the base will have a little something extra.
    I always find it's the little details you add to your bases that make them so great, and I haven't seen one where you've said I've changed the base where the new one hasn't worked better, always a pleasure to watch
    Wargames Terrain Workshop
    Home of High Quality Gaming boards, Scenery and Miniature Sculpting

Contact us @ wargamesterrainworkshop@yahoo.co.uk

Looks very interesting indeed.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Looking mint that new base mate it will be interesting to see the mini on it.

Are you going to have a go at any of the other categories on offer at euro? It would be good to see your take on a historical or a bust.
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Once Squarg is finished(and that will be very soon!) I'm going to paint the Uncle John bust from Infamy. I've no idea if I can get it done in time for Euro but nothing ventured nothing gained. I'm 'home alone' for the next week so I can paint away to my hearts content. With a little luck & effort I'll be able to get a good start on the bust and have a better idea of how long it might take me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sproket View Post
    Once Squarg is finished(and that will be very soon!) I'm going to paint the Uncle John bust from Infamy. I've no idea if I can get it done in time for Euro but nothing ventured nothing gained. I'm 'home alone' for the next week so I can paint away to my hearts content. With a little luck & effort I'll be able to get a good start on the bust and have a better idea of how long it might take me.

Looking forward to that. Did you get the small or large one?

I loved painting mine. It just seemed to flow and was very easy to get him done.

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

Squarg is amazing. I have shown these photos to so many people. I cannot wait to see him on a base.

Quote Originally Posted by atacam View Post
    Looking forward to that. Did you get the small or large one?

I loved painting mine. It just seemed to flow and was very easy to get him done.
    I've got the large version. I'm really looking forward to painting him!

Fantastic! I think this is your best work, so far. At least in my eyes. While I think your NMM works are extremely well done, I prefer this more naturalistic look on a purely personal, aesthetic level. I hope to see this in real life at Euromilitaire.
    Combibo vestri peniculus quod fio a melior pictor.
    My gallery - go have a look!

Mhhhh. Not bad. Plenty of room for improvement. I mean next time you could try using real mushrooms and bugs so the real frog has something to eat. And instead of using taxidermy and saying you painted it...just saying. Oh and the poor mouse you had to scalp in order to give him a head peace, try sculpting one you sicko. I expect better next time
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-