Sproket's WIP

Thread: Sproket's WIP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Sproket's WIP

With my Dark Eldar dio finished I thought I start a new more generic WIP thread for my mini painting projects.

I've decided to attempt a smaller mini in the run up to GD UK partly to keep me busy and stop me fiddling with the dio and partly because I like the mini and I might just have it ready for the GDs. At the speed I paint it's a tall order but I'm giving it a go.

The prep on the mini was pretty standard. Just a matter of cleaning up the mould lines and assembly although he was a bit fiddly in places.
    I've base coated all the flesh areas with Sotek Green as I'm going for an overall blue/green skin tone and it's a really lovely colour to work with. After all those muted and pastel tones on the Scourge it's a joy to work with some vibrant colour again although I'll have to keep my head and not go too lurid. Ignore the red dots under the eye they will be covered up with something less distracting.

Name:  skink1.jpg
Views: 7068
Size:  179.9 KB

Glad to see another WIP thread from you. It's still early but he's looking good so far (of course). I like the bluish green on the face. I'm curious to see what you do with the rest. Plenty of opportunities to play with colors on this one.

Looking really good so far. I love seeing how neatly you paint a miniature up, I always get the impression when you paint you must be really chilled and relaxed.

Quote Originally Posted by RuneBrush View Post
    Looking really good so far. I love seeing how neatly you paint a miniature up, I always get the impression when you paint you must be really chilled and relaxed.
    If only!
    I suppose I do find painting relaxing in so much as it takes me right out of myself. For me painting is a very intense process that takes a lot of concentration, control & focus. After a good painting session I'm knackered!

How is it that I can be impressed by your base coats? Seriously. Look at that brown. Smooth as a baby's bum, narry a splodge nor a wrinkle. *shakes head in disbelief* T'aint natural, I tells yer...
    "Facts are the impregnable bulwark that stands between us and the insidious evil of bullsh*t." - Pikey, over on Nagoyahammer

Seeing a Sproket WIP post is a bit like getting Christmas early. Or at least a second birthday. Or a snow day. Or something. The point is, it's always a pleasant surprise!
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

I like the shades of blue. good stuuf man.

It's time to unveil my latest work-in-progress and this time I've gone for a bit of a fairy tale theme. The mini is 'Squarg the Frog Rider' from Blacksmith Miniatures. I'm taking a different approach to painting the frog from my usual method and working with transparent layers over a light base colour. The intention is to leave the highlight areas with less layers of paint on them, so that light base colour shows through more than in the shaded areas. If successful this way of painting will give a rich and luminous colour, as the light passes through the layers of paint to bounce off the light basecoat beneath.

Name:  squarg2.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  197.8 KBName:  squarg3.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  194.8 KBName:  squarg6.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  194.5 KBName:  squarg8.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  197.9 KBName:  squarg9.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  208.8 KBName:  squarg10.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  216.6 KBName:  squarg11.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  216.2 KB

How serendipitous I was literally just talking with Skeletets about this very technique (in a very rough way I'm doing it with my current piece) and then lo and behold you post the perfect example of it. Bravo sir. Lovely highly realistic paint job here I especially like the eye it does indeed trompe l'oeil! Also slightly miffs me as I have been looking for this piece as it is totally lovely sculpt and I forgot to buy it at salute! Ah well next pay day it's on the list of things I must have.

I will be very interested to see how you do the shield which is one of my favourite bits of this model as it really reminds me of old school gw.
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

The markings on the frog look very realistic, the eyes even more so Flawless !
    Wargames Terrain Workshop
    Home of High Quality Gaming boards, Scenery and Miniature Sculpting

Contact us @ wargamesterrainworkshop@yahoo.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by wargamesculptor View Post
    The markings on the frog look very realistic, the eyes even more so Flawless !
    Those eyes. OMG!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sproket View Post
    It's time to unveil my latest work-in-progress and this time I've gone for a bit of a fairy tale theme. The mini is 'Squarg the Frog Rider' from Blacksmith Miniatures. [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana]I'm taking a different approach to painting the frog from my usual method and working with transparent layers over a light base colour. [FONT=Verdana] The intention is to leave the highlight areas with less layers of paint on them, so that light base colour shows through more than in the shaded areas. If successful this way of painting will give a rich and luminous colour, as the light passes through the layers of paint to bounce off the light basecoat beneath.
    You will be the perfect person to show this off. AFter trying to go light on some dark layers and it not working some time ago, I was thinking "Just use the same technique as is used in watercolour, leaving the white of the paper for highlights". Very tricky in watercolours, very easy in mini painting! Haven't got around to trying it yet myself, so I watch you with baited breath!

dfb

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

::blink blink::
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-