Sproket's WIP - Page 5
Page 5 of 81 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Sproket's WIP

Much improved, follows the direction of implied movement in the sculpt.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Newbie, please be gentle DistortedMe's Avatar

Wow! what a change, from a gorilla messing with a red blastic bag to a gory gorilla! Well done looks amazing!
    However, don't want to kill the amazingness of your paintjob here but.., to me the flow of the saliva and the gore don't really work together, they flow in opposite directions.
    Might be the photo's, might be me... but maybe something to look at if you get what I mean?

carry on and looking forward to the next update!
    greets Joren
    'The Summer is here and the time is right!'
    Casablanca - Beast Of Summer

Yep looks much more like blood. Excellent!
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

I've been dirtying up Chee-Chee's base with washes, glazes, dry brushing, stippling, splattering and sponging. It's all been very satisfying and I'm beginning to get a pleasing depth and richness to the textures by layering all these effects.

Name:  CeeCheeWall1.jpg
Views: 895
Size:  391.7 KB

I've done a bit more work on the base and I'm starting to put the overall composition together. There are a few more elements to add and a couple of touches to Chee-Chee but the end is in sight.

Name:  CeeCheeWall2.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  446.6 KB

Sproket me old mate what colours have you used for the bricks?
    I would like to make a note for future projects

also maybe add a few weeds, just a few arounf the bottom of the lamp post ??
    Last edited by ten ball; 02-03-2014 at 08:28 AM.
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill

The bricks are a bit of a mix so I'll double check the exact colours when I get home tonight.
    I think a few weeds will work very nicely but I'll probably make them brown & dead looking as I don't want to use any more green on this piece.

This is looking really nice. Love the coloring on the bricks (looking forward to seeing the mix) and the other little touches. But there's one little thing bugging me. What is going on with the coloring on the top of the lamp post? Is it supposed to be a different material or are you doing OSL? If it's OSL the light would be coming from inside and wouldn't hit the outer surfaces, just the edges next to the glass. Grabbing a random example off google image search you can see the outside surfaces aren't lit. Plus the whole scene you're creating appears to be daytime, so I wouldn't think the lamp wouldn't be on.
    Name:  Spanish-old-town-street-lamp.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  37.4 KB

If it's a different material, it's a bit of an odd choice. I'd think it would be the same as the rest of the lamp post.

By the way, I'm just being picky because the whole thing looks so amazing.

Love the heavy rust on the cast iron post.

Quote Originally Posted by ten ball View Post
    Sproket me old mate what colours have you used for the bricks?
    I would like to make a note for future projects

also maybe add a few weeds, just a few arounf the bottom of the lamp post ??
    The main colour used on the bricks is Vallejo Model Colour Burnt Cadmium Red. I mixed it with a little mid grey (my own mix) and Karak Stone for the base colour.
    I then dry brushed on a very slightly lighter tone to bring up the texture. I added a little Vallejo ivory for this but be carefull the colour turns pink very easily if you add too much.
    Next I picked out the mortar with a Karak Stone, Tallarn Sands and grey mix. It's a fiddle but worth the effort.
    I glazed over a few of the bricks with either Seraphim Sepia or Cadmiun red/Rihinox hide mix to pick them out and add a bit of variety.

Name:  CeeCheewall.jpg
Views: 950
Size:  210.4 KB

I shaded and dirtied things down with Agrax Earth shade and Bardab Black. Finally I splattered on a little dilute Rhinox Hide.

Name:  CeeCheeWall1.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  391.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey03 View Post
    This is looking really nice. Love the coloring on the bricks (looking forward to seeing the mix) and the other little touches. But there's one little thing bugging me. What is going on with the coloring on the top of the lamp post? Is it supposed to be a different material or are you doing OSL? If it's OSL the light would be coming from inside and wouldn't hit the outer surfaces, just the edges next to the glass. Grabbing a random example off google image search you can see the outside surfaces aren't lit. Plus the whole scene you're creating appears to be daytime, so I wouldn't think the lamp wouldn't be on.
    Name:  Spanish-old-town-street-lamp.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  37.4 KB

If it's a different material, it's a bit of an odd choice. I'd think it would be the same as the rest of the lamp post.

By the way, I'm just being picky because the whole thing looks so amazing.
    The top of the lamp post is meant to be unpainted brass. It's based on some of the posher examples of old lamp posts. I might knock it back a little with a touch of verdigris/corrosion as I think it's looking a bit too new compared to everything else in the scene.
    I think this setting would have lent itself really well to an OSL approach. I can just see it painted with the lampost as the only source of (dirty yellow) light. The main problem was that Chee-Chee wouldn't look his best lit from above like this. However the lampost came in a set of two and I cut the wall in half so I could build a similar setting and give OSL a go. It's something to think about, all I need is the time and the right mini!

Cheers mate for the colours

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sproket View Post
    The top of the lamp post is meant to be unpainted brass. It's based on some of the posher examples of old lamp posts. I might knock it back a little with a touch of verdigris/corrosion as I think it's looking a bit too new compared to everything else in the scene.
    I think this setting would have lent itself really well to an OSL approach. I can just see it painted with the lampost as the only source of (dirty yellow) light. The main problem was that Chee-Chee wouldn't look his best lit from above like this. However the lampost came in a set of two and I cut the wall in half so I could build a similar setting and give OSL a go. It's something to think about, all I need is the time and the right mini!
    The brass made sense to me as day lit shiny metal. I do think some verdigris will look awesome there and set off the red bricks. And a cool thing about verdigris is that it is a very close color on copper as well as brass so the verdigris on the lamp might set off the corrosion on chi-chi's cybernetics.

Excellent work so far..

Blog Entries

Looking awesome Sproket!!!!

Btw is it just me or does anyone else get annoyed by the stupid names of the GW paints. I am seriously considering ditching them totally (except maybe foundations and washes) and switching to Vallejo due to the annoying names. The old names were easier to remember and were fun without being impossible to remember and irrelevantly named. Scorched brown, chaos black etc...you knew roughly what you were getting. I mentioned this when I went into a GW store and was watching him paint a Hobbit miniature. All I got was a blank look and silence.

With all that said, colour formulas of the masters are still essential to know of course....

dfb

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

Quote Originally Posted by dogfacedboy uk1 View Post
    I mentioned this when I went into a GW store
    in your own discrete manner i assume?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SkelettetS View Post
    in your own discrete manner i assume?
    You know me Stefan!!! When I say "mentioned", the reality was probably closer to "slated" matter of factly that GW's new naming of the paints was shit!

dfb

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

Now that's what you were going for!!! Perfect ! You've pulled that off nicely. And I actually thought for a moment it couldn't be reworked ! Fool that I am!lol great work sprocket indeed

You know me Stefan!!! When I say "mentioned", the reality was probably closer to "slated" matter of factly that GW's new naming of the paints was shit!

dfb
    Aimed at kiddies, to fit in with all the fluff. (and not a bunny in sight)
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Looking awesome Sproket!!!!

Btw is it just me or does anyone else get annoyed by the stupid names of the GW paints. I am seriously considering ditching them totally (except maybe foundations and washes) and switching to Vallejo due to the annoying names. The old names were easier to remember and were fun without being impossible to remember and irrelevantly named. Scorched brown, chaos black etc...you knew roughly what you were getting. I mentioned this when I went into a GW store and was watching him paint a Hobbit miniature. All I got was a blank look and silence.

With all that said, colour formulas of the masters are still essential to know of course....

dfb
    The new names are a right gob full and make writing up tutorials and formulas more of a chore. I to long for the simpler days of yore - you knew where you stood with names like snot green and tentacle pink!

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Now that's what you were going for!!! Perfect ! You've pulled that off nicely. And I actually thought for a moment it couldn't be reworked ! Fool that I am!lol great work sprocket indeed
    One of the biggest lessons I've learned in recent years is that almost anything can be reworked if you are brave enough to take the risk. It's almost always a harrowing experience but all my recent project have undergone some reworking and came out better for it in the long run