Sproket's WIP - Page 41
Page 41 of 81 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: Sproket's WIP

I have a hat. And that is some of the most beautiful painting I´ve seen in a good while.

I saw this incredible model in real and these are colors I remembered. Maybe Lee or Sproket agree.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by moetle View Post
    You have done an incredible job. I am happy to have gotten to see him come to life and thank you for sharing that with us. If you catch a cold soon that was Papa Nurgle saying "yeah boy!"
    I can make do without Papa Nurgle's approval! I had quite enough of that at the start of this project

Quote Originally Posted by eyeayen View Post
    This is stunning, incredible amount of work and the subtle extra details to make it more nurgle are so well done you don't even notice the conversion. Perfect work sir !

I need to see this in the flesh, will it be in the Southampton store after GD ?
    It might be. There were plans for the Dark Eldar dio to go on display there for a bit but they never came off, so we'll have to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Persifal View Post
    I saw this incredible model in real and these are colors I remembered. Maybe Lee or Sproket agree.
    Overal it's a bit too dark & contasty but the blue/green colour of the armour is a lot closer to how it actually looks. I'm having real difficulties getting an accurate photo of Gutrot as my camera just can't capture the colours correctly! My pics are just too light & bright and the blue/green armour is especially off.

As an experiment I've taken a couple of snaps on my iPhone. They aren't the best photos but they are less over lit and I think the colours look closer to the actual mini.

Name:  IMG_0105b.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  278.8 KBName:  IMG_0105a.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  294.3 KB

Damn it Sprocket that figure is Brilliant , would love to see it in person .
    Over all in hours how long did it take you to do .? when are you doing a book .. i will buy it .

*Jaw hitting the desk* Holy cow! what an amazing miniature and that paint job is amazing wish my painting was up to this standard

Quote Originally Posted by Terrafirma View Post
    Damn it Sprocket that figure is Brilliant , would love to see it in person .
    Over all in hours how long did it take you to do .? when are you doing a book .. i will buy it .
    It's tricky to tell how many hours I've spent on Gutrot. I started him back in October but didn't make great progress until December - then I took some time out for Mole. As a rough guestimate I'd say around 250 hours including the work on the base!

You are a master of your trade.
    For HIS glory, by HIS Grace,
    TheLost

My WIP thread: http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...34-TheLost-WIP

The more I see the more it amazes me xD
    WIP thread. / Cmon Gallery / Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Sproket View Post
    It might be. There were plans for the Dark Eldar dio to go on display there for a bit but they never came off, so we'll have to see.
    I'll just have to somehow I make it to the GD and see it there for myself then.

250 hours is an incredible amount of dedication to this. That's like 6 weeks work at a normal job. It looks phenomial though, stunning work, can't wait to see it based.

As I've not seen this in real life it's difficult to tell what the colours are vs what your camera and my screen is letting me see. A grey card is definitely helpful to get the balance right and setting the white balance in camera is really important. I don't know what model of camera you're using but it might be worth playing with the actual colour temperature ( Kelvin ) if you have that setting. If not I'd alternate through the others. Try the dull day setting, it seems to capture things more accurately sometimes ? However if you're using studio lights or flash it should be able to balance to them properly, if not you can with software. Especially if the first image you shoot has the grey card in it. If you have lightroom or Capture one or Hasselblad's free to download "Phocus" software you can balance it in them which is different to doing it in photoshop. The photoshop raw settings are good, even if you're not shooting raw it will open up supported Jpegs and the like and really sort it out, you get a whole load of extra controls to play with.

When I've done coloured products for work though the settings I'll need to get a red product accurately have to be changed drastically to make blue or green correct, the fact you have all of these and more in one picture is a challenge for any camera. The only way to get that absolutely perfect is take all of your pictures then do an extensive amount of masking and colour correcting in photoshop for each and every picture balancing out the tones.

If you get stuck drop me a PM I'm happy to offer what advice I can.
    In the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Quote Originally Posted by eyeayen View Post
    I'll just have to somehow I make it to the GD and see it there for myself then.

250 hours is an incredible amount of dedication to this. That's like 6 weeks work at a normal job. It looks phenomial though, stunning work, can't wait to see it based.

As I've not seen this in real life it's difficult to tell what the colours are vs what your camera and my screen is letting me see. A grey card is definitely helpful to get the balance right and setting the white balance in camera is really important. I don't know what model of camera you're using but it might be worth playing with the actual colour temperature ( Kelvin ) if you have that setting. If not I'd alternate through the others. Try the dull day setting, it seems to capture things more accurately sometimes ? However if you're using studio lights or flash it should be able to balance to them properly, if not you can with software. Especially if the first image you shoot has the grey card in it. If you have lightroom or Capture one or Hasselblad's free to download "Phocus" software you can balance it in them which is different to doing it in photoshop. The photoshop raw settings are good, even if you're not shooting raw it will open up supported Jpegs and the like and really sort it out, you get a whole load of extra controls to play with.

When I've done coloured products for work though the settings I'll need to get a red product accurately have to be changed drastically to make blue or green correct, the fact you have all of these and more in one picture is a challenge for any camera. The only way to get that absolutely perfect is take all of your pictures then do an extensive amount of masking and colour correcting in photoshop for each and every picture balancing out the tones.

If you get stuck drop me a PM I'm happy to offer what advice I can.
    Thanks for the info! I can see I'm going to have to spend a bit more time experimenting with my camera's settings.

Back from my holls and straight back into painting. I've been working on Gutrot's base. I've also put together a brief step by step on my blog HERE

Name:  boat steps6a.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  250.5 KBName:  boat steps6c.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  316.0 KBName:  boat steps6b.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  279.8 KB

love the SBS
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

This looks amazing already !
    Last edited by eyeayen; 08-08-2015 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Part of the question no longer relevant.

Sprocket - I was trying to send you some more specific info about the photography. I didn't want to clutter your thread with a long post so was trying to PM you but it won't go through ? Is your inbox full ?

This mini looks amazing regardless of photo settings, an absolute masterpiece. The ship is a great idea for the base, can't wait to see it finished.