Sproket's WIP - Page 2
Page 2 of 81 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Sproket's WIP

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Grimm View Post
    That looks amazing. I really love the skin tone. Is that all done with a brush or did you use an air brush in there somewhere?
    It's all done with a brush. I experimented an airbrush some years ago and hated it ... probably because I was really crap at airbrushing. I don't get on with any sort of spray application and avoid it if at all possible.

Quote Originally Posted by ten ball View Post
    I can not make my mind up if I like the dark or light version on the side of the gold helmet, the light is more realistic but there was something about the dark shadow that stood out.

I know your rushed for time so don't listen to my ramblings
    I still quite like the look of the dark version although as more gold goes down I think it would have stuck out like a sore thumb. I'm not quite finished with the helmet yet. I think the sides need a bit more impact possibly a sparkly highlight or two but I'll proceed with as much caution as time allows.

I am about to give airbrushing a try and am a little nervous, probably going to pick up some old metal models off ebay to practice on. I also have one other question for you, how are you holding the miniature when you paint it, I see what looks like a piece of metal rod sticking out of the bottom, I am new to painting so I am trying to learn all these little tricks of the trade.

I am about to give airbrushing a try and am a little nervous,
    i was too, but honestly its not as tricky as it seems sometimes. its just a learning process; paint dillution, air pressure and the distance gun -> mini. a high Q airbrush made it a lot more funny though!

anyway spocket, killing paintjob as usual.

I am about to give airbrushing a try and am a little nervous, probably going to pick up some old metal models off ebay to practice on. I also have one other question for you, how are you holding the miniature when you paint it, I see what looks like a piece of metal rod sticking out of the bottom, I am new to painting so I am trying to learn all these little tricks of the trade.
    The piece of metal sticking out of the foot is a short length of wire. I use cut down sewing pins for this. I almost always drill and pin a mini in this way to attach it to the base. The wire can be pushed into a cork or held in a pin vice (as in the picture) to provide a handle during painting.

Name:  pin vice.jpg
Views: 1769
Size:  169.7 KB

Every now and again an artist does a piece of work on here that leaves me not having a clue what to say usually i can pick a point out that bugs me but as with this wee fella your dark eldar diarama skells nurgle toad and pink horrors mr dees great unclean one and ettin converted to nurgle i really cant pick one on any of them (see its happened that few times i can remember them!).

all i can say is your quick rushed work is far far better than my absolute best.

Well it took me a long time to get around to finishing him but I finally managed it when it really mattered! Here are the pics of my finished Hellion.

Name:  Finished Hellion1.jpg
Views: 1616
Size:  306.7 KBName:  Finished Hellion2.jpg
Views: 1613
Size:  471.5 KBName:  Finished Hellion3.jpg
Views: 1623
Size:  391.3 KBName:  Finished Hellion4.jpg
Views: 1605
Size:  392.8 KB

Here is the link if you'd like to vote:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/342336?browseid=6832327

Hi sprocket if you get chance can you post some finished pics of you lizard man priest as I'm doing something similar now and I want to shamelessly rip off your good ideas
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Another masterpiece in the works I see...
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    Hi sprocket if you get chance can you post some finished pics of you lizard man priest as I'm doing something similar now and I want to shamelessly rip off your good ideas
    Here he is!

Name:  Finished-Skink6.jpg
Views: 1423
Size:  387.9 KBName:  Finished-Skink5.jpg
Views: 1424
Size:  374.7 KBName:  Finished-Skink4.jpg
Views: 1391
Size:  386.6 KBName:  Finished-Skink3.jpg
Views: 1384
Size:  408.7 KBName:  Finished-Skink2.jpg
Views: 1395
Size:  354.7 KB

Here's the voting link: http://www.coolminiornot.com/342773?browseid=6890782

Man - you're doing so much with such mediocre GW plastics. I can only imagine what you could do with a proper resin mini.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Cheers much appreciated! The work on the turquoise inset on the gold staff is exceptional. Consider your work duly plagiarized
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    Man - you're doing so much with such mediocre GW plastics. I can only imagine what you could do with a proper resin mini.
    Ha, should we start a collection to buy Sproket some figures from Studio McVey or something? I'll kick in a few bucks

Sproket, this guy looks great. Love the colors and the NMM is fantastic. Looking forward to seeing what you do next

Buy? I've got resins sitting around he can paint...as long as I get them back when he's done LOL
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Very clean painting and those are some insane blends you've achieved. I'm impressed!

Yay, new project! Some people may be pleased to note it's resin!

I want to try and get a bit of colour into the mini and I've decided to keep my use of black to a minimum.
    I started off with washes & glazes and gradually built up the intensity and definition. I'm using Vallejo Dark Sea Blue as my shade colour and it seems to be working out quite well. It also leaves me with the opportunity to go darker in selected areas if I need to. In addition to this I'm using a touch of purple to shade the flesh tones and this together with the red & orange tones used else where brings a lot more interest to the colour palette.

Name:  Chee-Chee1.jpg
Views: 1226
Size:  199.0 KBName:  Chee-Chee2.jpg
Views: 1222
Size:  186.0 KBName:  Chee-Chee3.jpg
Views: 1220
Size:  204.9 KBName:  Chee-Chee4.jpg
Views: 1219
Size:  189.6 KBName:  CeeChee1a-1.jpg
Views: 1200
Size:  220.6 KB

I can tell you are having fun with this one just by how much progress you have made already!
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Thanks Sproket for your great blog, I have some insight into colours especially for NMM gold/brass which is what Im working on at the mo. Looking fantastic, especially the mouth and teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    I can tell you are having fun with this one just by how much progress you have made already!
    Yes, this is so different from anything I've painted recently it's really sparked off my enthusiasm! It's also nice to paint something where you can see the hand of the sculptor at work. As much as I like the GW plastics because they lend themselves to a smooth crisp style of painting (that me alright!) they can be a bit bland.

Quote Originally Posted by Canny View Post
    Thanks Sproket for your great blog, I have some insight into colours especially for NMM gold/brass which is what Im working on at the mo. Looking fantastic, especially the mouth and teeth.
    Thanks! You're more than welcome. I've picked up so much painting info & advice from blogs & forums it only seems fair to pass it on.

Your minis are eye-wateringly-hate-inducingly awesome!

ill just go burn my brushes.....
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1