Nasty allergic sensitivity to super glue?
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Nasty allergic sensitivity to super glue?

  1. #1
    Freak! Demihuman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Santa Cruz, California
    Posts
    2,365
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Nasty allergic sensitivity to super glue?

    I picked up some krazy glue a couple of months ago at the local hardware store and I really liked it but I think it is making me sick. I am having classic allergic symptoms after I use it. Anybody else experience this?

    The internet and the krazy glue website seem to say it is a distinct or even inevitable possibility. I knew it was nasty and I thought I had enough ventalation but I guess not. I am near sighted and tend to take my glasses off and stick my face right in there. I thought maybe my garage was too dusty or that I had caught a cold from the baby. I am ditching the krazy glue and will wear a half mask the next time I need to use something to bond metal.

  2. #2
    Superfreak!!! Dragonsreach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bolton, Lancs, UK (A Geordie in Exile)
    Posts
    17,416
    Rep Power
    41

    Default

    If its the really cheap runny liquid superglue I try to avoid it as much as possible, cos the fumes give me a banging headache.
    My choice is to go with loctite bottles with brush, that way little wastage, low fumes.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

  3. #3

    Default

    It could be the glue, but a friend had an allergic reaction to ALL superglue-s.
    The solution for him was to switch to 2 component resin-s. It had it's advantages and disadvantages.

    adv:
    - no more allergic reactions
    - the bonds are stronger

    disadv:
    - loinger drying time means it's not good if you want to assemble an army or many minis at once.


    As an in-between solution (as most of those reactions are because of the solvents used / fumes) is to glue things outside in the open, not in the house.

  4. #4
    Freak! Demihuman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Santa Cruz, California
    Posts
    2,365
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    I think it is all cyanoacrylate glue but am not going to experiment to make sure. I am going to avoid it for now. I have some nice plastruct plastic cement that is a dream to use on plastics and will try epoxy on metals or wearing a serious mask outside with a fan on windy day if I do feel I need to use super glue.

  5. #5

    Default

    From wikipedia:"About 5% of the population can become sensitized to CA fumes after repeated exposure, resulting in flu-like symptoms. It may also act as a skin irritant and may cause an allergic skin reaction."
    So, you may in fact be one of the unlucky 5%. Good news is there is a CA glue that is extremely low in toxicity that they've had no allergic reactions with:2-octyl cyanoacrylate.. Bad news- it's a medical adhesive: Dermabond so you're reaaaaly not going to find it at your neighborhood store.
    I think you're right on if you feel you need to use it, take some precautions like that mask but also gloves and goggles.

  6. #6
    Freak! Demihuman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Santa Cruz, California
    Posts
    2,365
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Yeah 5% sounds about right. I am a delicate flower. If someone is going to get sick from something it is usually me.

    I think I will leave the Dermabond to the chiurgeons and cyberdocs.

  7. #7

    Default

    Your not alone I have the same problem, took a couple of months for me to accept the fact too. I just wear a respirator now with the cartridges that are rated for noxious fumes. But if you are sticking your face close to the model I could see we're the fumes would effect your eyes. A lot of modelers are effected by it but they just don't want to accept it, I see guys at my LGS suffering while they glue but insist that it's just allergies

  8. #8
    Superfreak!!! Dragonsreach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bolton, Lancs, UK (A Geordie in Exile)
    Posts
    17,416
    Rep Power
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uglybug View Post
    I see guys at my LGS suffering while they glue but insist that it's just allergies
    Well basically they're right!
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

  9. #9
    Freak! Demihuman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Santa Cruz, California
    Posts
    2,365
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Used some 2 part epoxy resin last night and it's way nicer to use. It fills and flows much more predictably than super glue. It is also tacky enough to hold things together but still workable for 5 minutes. I think for display paintng it is the way to go. I can see it being a pain for army building but really not much of one considering the effort one puts into painting even a low table-top squad.

    Allergies aside, I recommend giving the 2 part resin a try. Of course it's got it's own toxicity issues as well. A fan is a good addition to the work bench.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Privacy Policy  |   Terms and Conditions  |   Contact Us  |   The Legion


Copyright © 2001-2018 CMON Inc.

-->