1st Initial Reaction to TCM & PO

Thread: 1st Initial Reaction to TCM & PO

Default 1st Initial Reaction to TCM & PO

So I have now opened both games and my gut, initial reaction is I am more impressed with TCM than PO. I prefer the sculpts and the tokens. It's hard to explain other than to say it just feels like more love and effort was put into TCM than PO. Now over time I might change my opinion of this, but as I said this is my 1st initial reaction. The one thing I can safely say about both sets is that I don't really like any of the "runners" sculpts, especially the ones that rely on the plastic peg to balance the figure. It looks sloppy and I don't understand how GG approved these sculpts to be finalized this way. Now I'm no pro at miniatures, and maybe this is common, but from an appearance standpoint alone, yuck. But that my ONLY negative about either set -- for this one thing I don't like, there's everything else that rocks! The rules, the new zombie types, the new tiles...I can't say enough about them. I'm ready for a major zombie throwdown and I can't wait to take the new survivors into the fray!

Quote Originally Posted by markallanreynolds View Post
    So I have now opened both games and my gut, initial reaction is I am more impressed with TCM than PO. I prefer the sculpts and the tokens. It's hard to explain other than to say it just feels like more love and effort was put into TCM than PO. Now over time I might change my opinion of this, but as I said this is my 1st initial reaction. The one thing I can safely say about both sets is that I don't really like any of the "runners" sculpts, especially the ones that rely on the plastic peg to balance the figure. It looks sloppy and I don't understand how GG approved these sculpts to be finalized this way. Now I'm no pro at miniatures, and maybe this is common, but from an appearance standpoint alone, yuck. But that my ONLY negative about either set -- for this one thing I don't like, there's everything else that rocks! The rules, the new zombie types, the new tiles...I can't say enough about them. I'm ready for a major zombie throwdown and I can't wait to take the new survivors into the fray!
    I've been cutting the "plastic pegs" off of my runners and filing them down before painting. They aren't there for balance, my figures still all stand up

I'm not sure about this, but I think the pegs are there for support while the figures are in process of being made. I think they balance them at that point. I wish whomever sculpted them had rethought the whole design instead of needing to rely on the stumps - or at least they could have removed them at the factory. I'm not very talented with an exacto knife!

Thanks for your review. I am planning to buy Toxic City Mall to go with my base game. I was worried that there would start to be "rule clutter" with the expansion. What I mean is that to justify a new supplement they would throw in tons of extraneous material. The rules on barricades look reasonable, as do some of the additional skills for survivors. I think the "toxic" option could go either way, although clearly you can use it sometimes and not in every mission. I like most of the over the top things (like Wanda's skates), but for some reason I'm not sure how I feel about the light saber card. What are your impressions?

I like the rules. I think there's enough twist and turns to make the game fun and different, while still maintaining the feel of Zombicide. I certainly like the Zombivors - now I can't wait to die in the game! Being an unsuccessful game designer, I appreciate how hard it is to come up with a wide variety of weapons, skills, and such...meaning, I'd rather not see certain cards because they seem kind of "janky" but it's bound to happen from time to time. Overall, TCM is a solid addon. I've seen games get much worse additions (and still sell tons).

Good point! Besides I can always sideline a card or two without shifting the dynamic of the game. I was going to ask about the Zombivors. My first impression it was to make the game more "survivable" since the base game can be tough depending on the scenario and the luck of the draw. However I have been enjoying the difficulty (as have the others in my group) because it makes a victory all that more sweet.

To me the prison tiles look odd. Some times it's hard to tell what is what.

What about the tiles in TCM? I am really considering that set as an add on to my core game.

Quote Originally Posted by vargz View Post
    What about the tiles in TCM? I am really considering that set as an add on to my core game.
    The mall tiles are great. I wish I would have ordered the extra set with the Kickstarter campaign. I'll hope I can get my hands on some, it shouldn't be too hard. There are some special "mall door" pieces that come with TCM, but could easily be proxied.

Quote Originally Posted by unszene View Post
    The mall tiles are great. I wish I would have ordered the extra set with the Kickstarter campaign. I'll hope I can get my hands on some, it shouldn't be too hard. There are some special "mall door" pieces that come with TCM, but could easily be proxied.
    The TCM Tile Pack, if it's anything like the Season 1 Tile Pack, will most likely come with a token sheet that I suspect will have some extra mall door tokens.
    In memoriam - the Tearful 107, May 6th 2012

(banner by Joshua "Cornbread" Harris (AKA: Skittlebrau))

I'd love to get the token sheet for PO, because I think that is the one with the new vehicles. I want ahead and ordered a copy of TCM from a distributer. It will probalby take forever (or at least seem like forever) to show up, but I think I can wait until later in the year to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by vargz View Post
    I'd love to get the token sheet for PO, because I think that is the one with the new vehicles. I want ahead and ordered a copy of TCM from a distributer. It will probalby take forever (or at least seem like forever) to show up, but I think I can wait until later in the year to get it.
    Most like the PO Tile Pack will have a reduced PO token sheet, and the TCM Tile Pack will have a reduced TCM token sheet.

But, yes, I believe it is PO that has the new vehicles.
    In memoriam - the Tearful 107, May 6th 2012

(banner by Joshua "Cornbread" Harris (AKA: Skittlebrau))

I went ahead and ordered a copy of TCM. I have no idea when I'll actually see it, so I'm trying not to drive myself nuts! The additional tiles, toxic zombies, and survivors seems well worth the asking price of $40. I was wondering about the equipment cards. Other than the ultra red level stuff, are there any cool new cards?

I am interested in the equipment cards from PO. Anybody breaking up a game for parts wanting to sell their PO equipment cards?

Quote Originally Posted by joshuar56 View Post
    To me the prison tiles look odd. Some times it's hard to tell what is what.
    Agree. The Prison layout feels a little "off". We'll see if I feel the same way after a few more plays.

Played the first TCM mission today with added companion and zombie dogs. It was pretty challenging by mid game, took some careful tactics and building a barricade to win. Also, we picked up zombivor wanda on obe of the objectives. Made for a quicker finish and escape that might have ended in a running battle.