Gold piles - How to make?

Thread: Gold piles - How to make?

Default Gold piles - How to make?

As per subject, looking for suggestions on how to make fairly realistic gold piles for a dragon diorama 28mm.
    if anyone can share photos, tips or products available it would be great!

i just rolled out a "snake" of Greenstuff, let it cure overnight, and then sliced it into coins...
    just like dicing a carrot...

if you take a look at this pirate, you'll see the result:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/313755?browseid=6497967

the coins were easy to glue down, and superglue loves greenstuff...
    painting was easy, as the pile of coins lends itself to heavy washes nicely...

i hope that helps...
    best of luck...

cheers
    jah
    Paint like you've got a pair!!!

Thanks for pic. They look good. I probably should have said how I plan to make mine - looking at the back2basics 1mm or 0.5mm round plastic rods and also cut into shape. The hill will be Styrofoam, topped with milliput topped with cut coins. Not sure which diameter I should go with though - of course stuck with the mounds will be a range of bits from cups, chest, weapons etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jahminis View Post
    i just rolled out a "snake" of Greenstuff, let it cure overnight, and then sliced it into coins...
    just like dicing a carrot...

if you take a look at this pirate, you'll see the result:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/313755?browseid=6497967

the coins were easy to glue down, and superglue loves greenstuff...
    painting was easy, as the pile of coins lends itself to heavy washes nicely...

i hope that helps...
    best of luck...

cheers
    jah
    The mini looks great Jah, but the coins are quite thick if I were being particular (how are there 80 votes on 1143 views??). Here's a great little sculpting page with something close to coins described.

Edit: oh, I see you mentioned the thickness
    Last edited by Kalidane; 08-25-2013 at 03:36 AM.
    The Future Of Magic Wash is Klear

supervike: This site is cake, the scoring is icing. Scrape it off if you don't like it, the cake is still delicious!!

Dragonsreach: Oh my goodness, an Orrery and the Time Machine, at this time of the morning. I think I need a stiff cup of tea.

Like JAH, I'd go for the greenstuff option. It'll be softer than the plastic rod and therefore easier to get thin slices. Also plastic rod has a tendency to warp when cutting so you end up with curved discs
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

i use hex cut glitter as a basing material. looks round, scales perfectly, and comes in copper, silver and gold. Apply over a form with PVA then give it some washes and you've got yourself a nifty looking pile of loot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidane View Post
    The mini looks great Jah, but the coins are quite thick if I were being particular (how are there 80 votes on 1143 views??). Here's a great little sculpting page with something close to coins described.

Edit: oh, I see you mentioned the thickness
    yeah, i definitely cut the coins too thick...
    that's how it goes with first time experiments...
    hopefully, others can learn from my mistake, and i'll know to go thinner next time...

cheers
    jah
    Paint like you've got a pair!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdevil View Post
    T Not sure which diameter I should go with though - of course stuck with the mounds will be a range of bits from cups, chest, weapons etc.
    Coins come in various sizes. I would use several diameters.

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by freakinacage View Post
    Like JAH, I'd go for the greenstuff option. It'll be softer than the plastic rod and therefore easier to get thin slices. Also plastic rod has a tendency to warp when cutting so you end up with curved discs

If you use a miter box and an x-acto razor saw or something like this: http://www.micromark.com/chop-it,9547.html (looks fairly simple to DIY and make a similar cutting jig) you should be able to avoid the warping and have nice straight cuts.

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

the GS looks good, but for an uniform size I'd go with the plastic rod. Size depending on the mini's size.

As a 3rd alternative: thick paper, with the individual coins punched out with a tool similar to this one: http://www.shopping.com/Leather-Hole...Tool/info?sb=1

- paper solves the thickness + uniform thickness problem
    - tool solves the speed for LOTs of coins.

Oh I totally forgot that - plasticard (nice and thin) and a hole punch. Super easy and consistant. Finding a nice diameter for the hole punch is the only real concern.
    The Future Of Magic Wash is Klear

supervike: This site is cake, the scoring is icing. Scrape it off if you don't like it, the cake is still delicious!!

Dragonsreach: Oh my goodness, an Orrery and the Time Machine, at this time of the morning. I think I need a stiff cup of tea.

Blog Entries

The hard part is painting the little faces on the coins :P

Quote Originally Posted by Demihuman View Post
    The hard part is painting the little faces on the coins :P
    only for us, mere mortals

Thanks for the helpful tips. I did try a very quick test of some old foam and some hex glitter. A bit heavy on the washes but I think it looks o.k.

Blog Entries

oh glitter is a great idea! If it were me i would prime the glitter red or black and paint it gold. Although the stuff in the wheel barrow looks good