Rivet Wars 2.0 - Future Factions
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rivet Wars 2.0 - Future Factions

Default Rivet Wars 2.0 - Future Factions

So what's on the horizon for Rivet Wars?

We've talked before about how cool it would be to see other factions. Byzantia, Ruska, and Hajame faction options spurred quite a bit of discussion on the KS comments section.

Ted hinted that "Rivet Wars: Western Front" might be next.

When do you think this will be?
    What factions do you think will be included?
    Will this be a regular retail release, or will we all head back to Kickstarter?

And finally, what would you like to see?

I was thinking that Ruska would maybe have lots of really cheap infantry, and Hajame woudl have a whole lot of Vertical Tanks.

The next faction release, I believe will be via kickstarter... but this all depends on the consumer feedback. And I anticipate this being extremely positive. So onward and forward!

As far as factions; Ruska and Ottoman will definately be next. And Hajame and Barbary will be 3rd (hopefully we see a third) that I think will be a normal release due less hype.

I can envision all these factions. Ruska obviously.. a cold tundra, with russian like units. Ottoman with be like a byzantine empire, a whole lot of steampunk and a littlw victorianish. Barbary will be like mongolia and Ghengis Khanish looking units... Almost like orks... all manpower. The Hajame intriques me the most. A lot of special sword and samurai units. Some ninja type units... and A LOT of firework type exploding shrapnel bombs. These units will be refined and disciplined... highly skilled, but weak.
    Rando Commando

I would like to see a Rivet Wars 2.0 Kickstarter in December 2013 (it worked for Kingdom Death), or a year from now, in January 2014. And I would like an early add-on be the "Battle of Brighton" for $50 or the "Heavy Metal" pack for $30. I think that could raise quite a bit of $ for the new faction KS, especially with the notation that they'd be delivered in a month or two. That'd be great, and it'd follow up on 3-4 months of retail sales of the Eastern Front.

I'd also imagine "Rivet Wars: Western Front" could be a stand-alone game. I'd love to see a full set of new tiles (Snow?), new missions, and new scenarios. It could vary up the game-play, so that it's not just more of the same. One thought is that the infantry could be air-based - like flying jetpackers. You could also have an explosives squad. And then there could be rules/scenarios for incorporating this expansion with the "Eastern Front," to have a true 4 player game.
    Last edited by binarysunrise; 02-04-2013 at 10:42 PM.

I am just worried that the expansion will be too much like eastern front. With rocker.paper.scissor mechanics it can break. They might as well use the same stats for the respective units, just different figures. Which worries me because then you could not play proper 4v games or play allies (brighton) vs ottoman (example) because they do not counter each other like ottoman vs ruska would. They have a while to figure it out.
    Rando Commando

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHTSHADE View Post
    I am just worried that the expansion will be too much like eastern front. With rocker.paper.scissor mechanics it can break. They might as well use the same stats for the respective units, just different figures. Which worries me because then you could not play proper 4v games or play allies (brighton) vs ottoman (example) because they do not counter each other like ottoman vs ruska would. They have a while to figure it out.
    But if they do just swap out figures with new molds.....I'm not sure there'd be as large a market for it. I mean, it'd just be the *same* game. Only with cool(er) rivets. If many people already think the game's expensive, why would they pay even more for more of the same? At the very least, the future faction components need to vary in abilities, if not over all game play.

Ted and CMON seem to have made a ton of Blight/Ally figures that supposedly will balance out each other without breaking the game. The new factions need to do the same, *plus* find a way to be incorporated into the Blight/Ally game. Perhaps if they develop a unique rocker.paper.scissor match up for the new factions (new figures with new stats that balance each other out), maybe they could somehow find a selection that would work for a 4player game (i.e. half of ruska & half of blight somehow being balanced against half of ally & half of Byzantia). Ignoring heroes, I think "Eastern Front" has 15 different types of rivets per side. Maybe instead of 15 & 15 v. 15 & 15, some mathematician could find the 7 & 7 v. 7 & 7 that'd work.....

While I think Ruska and Ottoman would be cool and clearly the 'Western Front' battle, Ottoman and Hajame would stylistically be the most different/interesting so those are the two I'm personally most interested in.

an infantryman is an infantryman they all have the same stats, its just what they are armed with that makes them different. Now where you can get creative is in the armor and heavier pieces and air units that will appear. But you have to have a r-p-s types to try to balance the game. else you run into overpowered units that are always fielded vs units that just look cool but suck on the board that rarly get played.

When do you think this will be?
    I prefer they ship it together with "Battle of Brighton" and "Heavy Metal" if that's too rush , I'm ok to wait until Q2 /Q3'2014
    I think that will save manufacturing and shipping cost for Cool min or Not. Then, they can do a bit extra goodies / units etc for us in return.

What factions do you think will be included?
    Something special will be nice, a third faction like many suggested or probably naval unit with naval tile set if they want.

Will this be a regular retail release, or will we all head back to Kickstarter?

I think Coolmin or Not and many like kickstarter, will probably another one.
    (it can cover people where in their country no board games retail shop available etc)

And finally, what would you like to see?
    I like eastern front base game, if western come up as another game - then I have hard choice which one to play... feel like will miss something anyhow
    I personally prefer something like extra third faction or different tile sets, extra game play system etc that just enrich the base game to another level (like flying units expansion that released),not a standalone one
    Last edited by Muttala; 02-05-2013 at 02:01 AM.

Blog Entries

The other stats to play with are cost, wounds, range and speed.

One faction could be: Infantry cost of 2 with 2 wounds or medium armour, with corresponding cavalry being light armour.
    Another: Infantry cost 1 with no weapons, slightly faster, Cavalry and Vehicles could be heavier weaponed.

I think more factions would be released normally. I would like to see a Rivet Wars Naval kickstarter with ships and subs.

The next KS would be in 2014 i think after they manage to give us the Games to play 1st hopefully before the end of this year 2013.

Yeah. I can totally see the barbary and ruska sides siding with Blight. I just really hope they playtest the crap out of new factions... it will be like mixing oil and vinegar. Even if they get one faction to work with eastern front, throwing the fourth in will have to change a lot around. I look forward to completely new stat cards with the expansion.
    Rando Commando

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHTSHADE View Post
    Yeah. I can totally see the barbary and ruska sides siding with Blight. I just really hope they playtest the crap out of new factions... it will be like mixing oil and vinegar. Even if they get one faction to work with eastern front, throwing the fourth in will have to change a lot around. I look forward to completely new stat cards with the expansion.
    It's not historically correct, but I got ur point. Instead I prefer all faction against all faction, no fixed alliances. It give more variety to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    It's not historically correct, but I got ur point. Instead I prefer all faction against all faction, no fixed alliances. It give more variety to the game.
    Well, the more we get into this, the less based on Earth it seems. I'm more in favor of keeping the theme of a world war during the turn-of-the-century, with a few alternate-history references, than try to make it conform to actual history.

While I like the idea of being able to pick up any faction and play against any other, I think the previous comment is accurate - it'll be tough if not impossible to get any faction to balance across any other - and if you do, you'll sacrifice unique faction gameplay for uniform playability. I still think it'd be fun if 1 faction had suicide planes, 1 had ground explosives, 1 had air infantry, etc. - yet somehow get it to balance.

and with every iteration obviously becomes harder to play test! There are a heck of a lot of units released in the kickstarter and CMON did state in a KS-comment that some of them were currently add-hoc. It's best not to rush these things - has anyone considered armed rebellions like: Blight vs Blight - or how about Blight vs (Blight with Allied tank support). I can see the scenario now: a Blight uprising which has had resources/units/support from Allied military being quashed by a the main Blight military. That would be great in a campaign game!

I want to be able to use at least half of "eastern front" for an expansion. So if that require us to use.. allies air units with Hajame, and allies ground units for ottoman. Or blight air units for Barbary, and blight ground units for Ruska. I am down. We can have one expansion that is half of four factions, but designed for each one specifically... and if the demand is there, then a third expansion with air/grund flip flopped...? That way we have a smooth transition ro four factions and kinks can be worked out along the way.

And ships....6 faction ships. Just one big battleship each with 2 smaller gunner ships, one for each country.
    Rando Commando

I would love to see a Hajame board game ("Far East") that incorporates island hopping. There could be a faction ship transport (or unique spawn points in the shape of transport ships), and some variant on how to move infantry from one island locale to another. Could incorporate air transport and sea transport. It'd be at least 1 new faction, a new board, and some slight modifications to current faction selections.

With four or even six factions the stats cards could be redone completely for each matchup. That might help with balance issues. For example the basic Allied trooper might have be more effective against Ottoman cavalry than Blight cavalry. The numbers wouldn't be absolute for each faction, but relative to the troops and equipment on the other side.