Anyone here build Gundam models?

Thread: Anyone here build Gundam models?

Default Anyone here build Gundam models?

I see there are a handful of Gundams in the galleries... not many though. Anyway, I'm curious if anyone else here builds them. I put together a few a number of years ago and was thinking of trying to build them again. Mainly because I'd like to try painting one in a style other than the usual "plastic Gundam" look that 90% of them seem to have. I see that a few the examples on this site have achieved that.

Though the site navigation is circa 1995, Cody's Coop has a nice weathering article for mecha. He also does resin anime kits a lot and has many, many good examples and tutorials (though some may be down). Though I've never done a mecha kit, I do have a vehicle project in mind that's of bigger scale in mind.. but I'll have to not be doing school so much.. rassa frassa education.. grumble, grumble...

^ Looks like some nice stuff on that site, definitely above the average. Shame most of his gallery seems broken

The tutorials look good, so thanks for the link!

Spent some more time googling and starting to come across some more inspired paint jobs. Including one that my brain still doesn't want to accept is real:

Name:  ku-xlarge.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  106.3 KB

I mean, just wow, that is incredible. And I wonder if such a style could be applied to other minis. Probably would work better on anime or other cartoony-style minis, than a lot of the regular fantasy or sci-fi stuff...
    Last edited by shponglefan; 09-04-2013 at 10:46 PM.

Looking at that one, I am pretty sure that is a CGI model because of all the aliased lines on it you only get with computer lines. If it was real I could expect some on the outside because of taking out background- but you look at enough CG work, you can tell.

Oh, it's real. They deliberately painted rough edges on it to simulate the old-style art of the cartoon. I think that plus JPEG compression (or maybe resizing/over-sharpening?) probably caused that aliasing in that image.

There are lots of other pics here: http://kotaku.com/5964180/this-gunda...ime-literally/
    Last edited by shponglefan; 09-06-2013 at 08:13 AM.