Suggestions on progress thanks! Ultramarine captain

Thread: Suggestions on progress thanks! Ultramarine captain

Default Suggestions on progress thanks! Ultramarine captain

Hi all!

I have just started to get back into the hobby for many many years without doing anything. I can't belive how much some of the techniques have changed in these years. Anyway I am relearning some techniques and learning a LOT of the new stuff. I have started to work in several minis and I would really appreciate if you can comment/suggest on the work. Things that can be improved, things that I am doing wrong, etc.

Everything I will be posting it's painted using kolynsky brushes and a wet palette (this is actually one of the things I am learning how to use).

Name:  space marine commander general.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  270.7 KB

Name:  space marine commander details.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  258.2 KB

The armor is done in 3 layers + highlights as follows:

Prime coat: Black
    Base coat: ultramarine blue + Black + ice blue (3:2:1)
    2nd coat: same as base coat (4:2:1)
    3rd coar: ditto (6:2:1)
    highlight: ice blue glace (1: 5 water)

The metalic part are painted using true metalic colours, for the silver bits I've used:
    Base coat: boltgun metal
    Shadows: several washed of boltgun metal + black
    Highlights: mithril silver

for the gold bits I have used:
    Base coat: snakebite leather
    2nd coat: burnished gold
    highlight: shinning gold + mithril silver
    Then I have just added mithril silver where light was hitting on the top.

I want to thank you all in advance for the comments and for the inspiration I have got watching some of the minis on the website!

Best regards!

Hi Gaia, welcome! I would say that it is a really solid start, neat painting. You directly started with a white cloak which is not the easiest to start again painting and in my opinion on your model it is missing definition, try to add more shadow (cold grey or warm ochre).
    The metallics are quite fine, maybe a bit more shadow would be nice. The freehand looks good too.

Quote Originally Posted by boubi View Post
    Hi Gaia, welcome! I would say that it is a really solid start, neat painting. You directly started with a white cloak which is not the easiest to start again painting and in my opinion on your model it is missing definition, try to add more shadow (cold grey or warm ochre).
    The metallics are quite fine, maybe a bit more shadow would be nice. The freehand looks good too.
    Hi Boubi!

First thanks for the suggestions! I have been working today in the cloak a bit. I have revampered quite a bit working on the shadows. Maybe I've gone too far with it and I will have to clear it off.

Name:  cloak.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  583.0 KB

I will also try to sharpen the last highlight on the armor and try to get more smooth color changes.

Thanks in advance for the comments! Best regards!