Golden Demon 2013 UK - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 48

Thread: Golden Demon 2013 UK

  1. #21
    Brushlicker dogfacedboy uk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cornwall, England
    Posts
    1,718
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    www.masterminis.net should have some, I have seen some of Zaphods photos on Facebook this afternoon.

    dfb


    My Gallery Here

    CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

  2. #22

    Default

    check volomirs blog; http://volomir.blogspot.se/
    ...keep talking
    Forever remains

    Instagram

  3. #23

    Default

    Hm. looking through there's an array of old winners, I recognise most of the names, so I presume the rumours of especially bad judging this year might be more up to taste or poor lighting. Glad to see several old timers getting trophies!

    The fantasy single was pretty hilarious...

  4. #24

    Default

    Looking at them now I see that a lot of great pieces were in the final 'three' stages. I guess my problem is just with 2 categories. But as AndyG says that the way the cookie crumbles and if you enter these things, then you have to take them for what they are!

  5. #25
    Brushlicker crystella333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    On my way to new pastures
    Posts
    1,652
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Wow 3 of the same model getting gold,silver and bronze? Hmmmm not too impressed with the winners of the Duel section but who I am to criticize. Did like the look of the maelstrom in the diorama section

  6. #26

    Default

    I got a finalist medal, very happy about that seeing as my mini had been sat on my desk for 2 years half done and I just finished it this summer as a way of getting back into some painting. I was probably one of the few people that benefited from the lighting. My entry is not particularly great 'in the hand', but under the harsh lighting it looked like it was glowing! For me, there were lots of excellent minis, but nothing that made me go 'WOW!'. Although the dreadfleet thing looked great.
    The armies on parade with the real flowing water was a 'No way! I cannot believe someone did that' moment. The chaos dwarf unit with its ancient minis puts paid to any suggestions that it has to be new minis to win. I'm sure there will be arguments over judging, but to me you just need to recognise that this competition is about painting minis in a way that fits with GW's imagery. It is not just about the best technically painted mini, there are other competitions for that (which is not to say that the GD winners are technically poor). As a painter, happy with the day. If I was a gamer I would have been disappointed.
    Edit: Oh, Peter's Radagast was very cool with its name in the tree.
    Last edited by Trevor; 09-30-2013 at 08:46 AM.

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    I got a finalist medal,.... I'm sure there will be arguments over judging, but to me you just need to recognise that this competition is about painting minis in a way that fits with GW's imagery. It is not just about the best technically painted mini, there are other competitions for that (which is not to say that the GD winners are technically poor). As a painter, happy with the day. If I was a gamer I would have been disappointed.
    Edit: Oh, Peter's Radagast was very cool with its name in the tree.

    Hey Well done Trevor - what was your medal for? Thanks for the clarification about GD its helped me let go of my issue today with the categories!

    Also on a more positive note, who was the guy I was with in the finalists with the Guardians of the Covenant?
    Also is Atosh on here? You gave me some great tips at the event.
    Nice to meet you Winterdyne too at the final diorama nail biting moments!

  8. #28

    Default

    Firstly Congrats to Sprocket & 10 Ball and anyone else who got pins/demons etc

    I gave up halfway round trying to look at the Golden Demon and Armies on Parade stuff, could see half the time and the other half people were shoving you out of the way so they could take pictures. The missus nearly lamped some moustachioed man in a silly hat who shoved her out of the way.

    Overall GD was less painful than last year, we got through the sales area (Forgeworld queue and to pay queue) in a little over 45 minutes, had a mooch about the FW studio booths (again, whats with the shoving people?! we all want to have a look! you dont get preference just because you want pictures for your blog!) and then the other bits, but you know, I kinda lament the loss of the participation games and big gaming boards. Like the misssus said "If its a event all about Warhammer, its kind of sad that no ones playing it" and I couldn't agree more.

    Plus, they have the 'Eavy Metal team painting upstairs for you to watch, which is funny when you look at some of the best Demon entries and think "what are they even paying these guys for?"

    So overall, not the worst GD I've been too but I dunno, its kinda lost something I think

  9. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mortarion101 View Post
    Firstly Congrats to Sprocket & 10 Ball and anyone else who got pins/demons etc

    I gave up halfway round trying to look at the Golden Demon and Armies on Parade stuff, could see half the time and the other half people were shoving you out of the way so they could take pictures. The missus nearly lamped some moustachioed man in a silly hat who shoved her out of the way.

    Overall GD was less painful than last year, we got through the sales area (Forgeworld queue and to pay queue) in a little over 45 minutes, had a mooch about the FW studio booths (again, whats with the shoving people?! we all want to have a look! you dont get preference just because you want pictures for your blog!) and then the other bits, but you know, I kinda lament the loss of the participation games and big gaming boards. Like the misssus said "If its a event all about Warhammer, its kind of sad that no ones playing it" and I couldn't agree more.

    Plus, they have the 'Eavy Metal team painting upstairs for you to watch, which is funny when you look at some of the best Demon entries and think "what are they even paying these guys for?"

    So overall, not the worst GD I've been too but I dunno, its kinda lost something I think
    This years GD has been getting alot of bad reviews online. Sad that the Game in Games day has gone out the window.

    Also i find that the dominance of Horus Heresy from FW is boring. And i love those models. But come on, enough with the space mavheens.
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1





  10. #30

    Default

    better just split gamesday and golden demon/army on parade. i heard rumours about that in germany.
    too much bloody marines, true true. but at least that new troll lady even things out a bit
    ...keep talking
    Forever remains

    Instagram

  11. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkelettetS View Post
    better just split gamesday and golden demon/army on parade. i heard rumours about that in germany.
    too much bloody marines, true true. but at least that new troll lady even things out a bit

    Indeed, she is epic.

    Now do us mediocre painters a favour and go buy her so we can see you paint it!
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1





  12. #32

    Default

    sir yes sir!!
    ...keep talking
    Forever remains

    Instagram

  13. #33

    Default

    I agree splitting it would be a good idea in principle but cant see GW holding an almost no profit day, other than entry fee - although im sure they could find ways to even put that up.
    It would be at least a nice nod to the artists competing to let have the option to enter on the Saturday. This way judges would have the evening to have a really good look at each entry and it would ony be a matter of looking over the Sunday entrants in the mad rush that is Games day.

    I am still in pain from watching Alan Merrett dropping my finalist diorama on its back
    Last edited by ellis_esquire; 10-01-2013 at 11:52 AM.

  14. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ellis_esquire View Post
    I am still in pain from watching Alan Merrett dropping my finalist diorama on its back
    Really?! What a prat. As harsh as it sounds I really don't understand why they wheel him out every year to hand over the demons and shake hands, I'm sure that at least half of the audience haven't a clue who he is. Get one of the more well known people (Jervis Johnson for example) to do it.

  15. #35

    Default

    Yes Runebrush - I didn't know who he was until I just saw him on zaphods pics!

    You know it could have been my assumption but he just seemed nonchalant the whole way through. Me and my girl were hawking the judging tables as it was my second time entering and was all excited. Each time they moved to next category, everyone hovered around, stooping, raising walking round. But there goes Alan pulling up his chair on one side of the table and just kinda staring down. This seemed a really lax attitude to view what are 3 dimensional models. Lol - I guess he felt my bad energy round him because he went to pick up my diorama, which was probably the smallest one there and I watched in horror as it slid off the plinth as he tries and turns it 45 degrees! He shook his head, looked up muttered something and just pushed it to the 'not win' pile.
    Not saying thats why it didn't place but it really ruined the moment for me.

  16. #36
    Brushlicker dogfacedboy uk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cornwall, England
    Posts
    1,718
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ellis_esquire View Post
    I agree splitting it would be a good idea in principle but cant see GW holding an almost no profit day, other than entry fee - although im sure they could find ways to even put that up.
    It would be at least a nice nod to the artists competing to let have the option to enter on the Saturday. This way judges would have the evening to have a really good look at each entry and it would ony be a matter of looking over the Sunday entrants in the mad rush that is Games day.

    I am still in pain from watching Alan Merrett dropping my finalist diorama on its back
    Holy crap man!!! What a klutz! I would have run up to him and hoofed him in the nuts! "Sorry Alan! My foot slipped in my haste to run over and pick up my diorama that you just dropped!"

    dfb


    My Gallery Here

    CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

  17. #37

    Default

    That sounds very disrespectful! Clearly he is not bothered by what he has done, but then again why am I not surprised at his actions? I was tired at the event (up since five with the little one) and nearly through inatention bumped into a bloke holding his very well painted dreadnought; straight away "Christ I'm sorry mate! " comes out of my mouth horror at the thought I'd nearly caused an accident with a mini! You'd think someone who's job it is to judge them would be even more mortified!
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

  18. #38

    Default

    Thanks Andy and guys - yes I was caught between disbelief and anger and anticipation of I was going to get a Demon. I wonder if i'd be so bothered if I had won one, but I am left with a feeling of did he sideline it right after he dropped it, because he was afriad something was broken/annoyed it wasn't secure enough?

    Anyhow Ill post it up in submission discussions and you guys can tell me what you think Im sure in a much more considered and respectful way than old Alan

  19. #39

    Default

    @ellis - yikes! That is some bloody bad form from Alan Merret. Shame on him and his kin unto the next generation, etc etc.

    re: raising money at golden daemon. It's simple - just do what they did at Golden Daemon Japan, and charge an entry fee per model entered. My jaw near hit the floor when I saw that particular nugget in the entry rules. To be fair, it was only 1000yen (about 10USD) per model, but still, it's not like there was anything to do at the day other than wait, enter your minis, wait more, witness results. Or so I'm (reliably) informed. (Once again I couldn't go this year. Next time, turtles, next time...)
    "Facts are the impregnable bulwark that stands between us and the insidious evil of bullsh*t." - Pikey, over on Nagoyahammer

  20. #40
    Superfreak!!! Dragonsreach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bolton, Lancs, UK (A Geordie in Exile)
    Posts
    17,429
    Rep Power
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    That sounds very disrespectful! Clearly he is not bothered by what he has done, but then again why am I not surprised at his actions? I was tired at the event (up since five with the little one) and nearly through inatention bumped into a bloke holding his very well painted dreadnought; straight away "Christ I'm sorry mate! " comes out of my mouth horror at the thought I'd nearly caused an accident with a mini! You'd think someone who's job it is to judge them would be even more mortified!
    Isn't he the judge that's colour blind? And no I'm not joking when I heard that piece of info at Euro this year I was appaulled.AndyG; £12 for Euro compared against £30 for GD which in your opinion was better value?
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Privacy Policy  |   Terms and Conditions  |   Contact Us  |   The Legion


Copyright © 2001-2018 CMON Inc.

-->