[THEORY] Airbrush - Masking Techniques.

Thread: [THEORY] Airbrush - Masking Techniques.

Default [THEORY] Airbrush - Masking Techniques.

Dose of theory on the blog:
    http://goo.gl/m689Zb
    Airbrush - Masking Techniques.

Only comment I would make is that blue coloured blu-tack is actually greasy which can mark the underlying paint (red is very prone to this). White coloured blu-tack is actually a better bet as it has less impact on the paint as it contains less oils and grease).

I use the yellow blu-tack which isn't too bad either, but my go to for anything fragile is silly putty.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Quote Originally Posted by RuneBrush View Post
    Only comment I would make is that blue coloured blu-tack is actually greasy which can mark the underlying paint (red is very prone to this). White coloured blu-tack is actually a better bet as it has less impact on the paint as it contains less oils and grease).
    Spot on true.
    Found out the hard way.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

How do you do to not pull of undercoat paint while you take off the the mask ?
    Sometimes, fine layers of paint are taked off with the mask...

Quote Originally Posted by Shi Vral View Post
    Sealing between masking and coats can cut down on this, especially if paint is really thinned down.
    I've had some good experiences with Glad Press N' Seal for larger areas. I also like using this stuff for "masking" off areas for sculpting so that the putty won't stick to stuff so I can keep the pieces separate when painting.
    Alzo- I've used Mold Builder Latex which comes off in one piece much better than the typical latex masking stuff. Yeah, it's a bit expensive but I've got a ton of coupons for Hobby Lobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Shi Vral View Post
    I've shared that pain... If I know I'm going to be doing some serious masking with I make sure that I wash the model before I prime it. Generally the reason you pull off undercoat is that it's not adhered properly due to grease or similar - even the grease from your hand can do this. As Chrispy says though, sealing between coats can help prevent this.

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

inter clears- light coats of clear coat (Dulcoat) between layers will help a bunch.
    My Favorites
    I'm at and falling.
    si vis pacem, para bellum

This post has been made with 100% recycled electrons.

I was serious about the Silly Putty: There's no stick at all so you needn't put on varnishes/coats before putting it on.

Almost too little stick with silly putty, most of the time I have to wrap it around something to make sure it stays put.

Ditto on the Silly Putty. It works great for me.
    "I was too distracted by the ladies to be scared of your bear. That is the second weirdest sentence I have ever typed on this site o_O"- Zab

"Paint flavored coffee is the bestest!"-me

Brush Brother Moetle

Take a peek you might learn something or teach me something :-)

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...tic-Wonderland