Time for new paints

Thread: Time for new paints

Default Time for new paints

Its come around for me. The paints I use often are almost all but gone and my old ones have dried up. So as I start to rebuild my paints again whats everyone's recommendations of whats good at the moment?

I prefer Vallejo model colors but one thing I am sure of: do NOT get Game Color! The majority of people who've talked about it (including myself) have had bad experiences. If you're shipping online, I'd suggest getting 1-2 "go to" colors like brown, black, grey, blue,etc, etc.. from different companies and see what you like best. I have at least 1 paint pot/jar/bottle of about 5 different companies, and use them interchangeably.
    Hope this helps!

I like Vallejo Model Color and Model Air paints, as well as Reaper. Their dropper bottle containers are very handy. Games Workshop's Citadel paints aren't bad either, but they are more expensive compared to most other brands.

My advice would be to pick up a few pots of each brand and see which you like best.

Citadel and P3 have strong base colors. Reaper and vellejo model colors are great for branching out. I have heard people like the new minitaire line from badge too, but i'll be damned if i know where to order it.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Miniatire: I think from Badger, the same company that makes AB.

I can also recommend: VMC, VAC and P3 (with reaper I have no experience, so no idea, but should be good too according to reviews / what others here write about it)

And another one to consider: Scale75's sets. They look good. I just don't know how to convince for example myself NOT to buy them all. (so far 6+ sets --> 48+ colors, do I really need another 48 colors to those I already have?)

Quote Originally Posted by shponglefan View Post
    I like Vallejo Model Color and Model Air paints, as well as Reaper. Their dropper bottle containers are very handy. Games Workshop's Citadel paints aren't bad either, but they are more expensive compared to most other brands.

My advice would be to pick up a few pots of each brand and see which you like best.
    I agree mostly with this. I avoid GW stuff, use the alcohol-based Vallejo Liquid Gold range for metallics, and stick to Reaper, Reaper HD and VMA.

So far im thinking some p3 for core colors, any recommendations for metals?

The P3 metallic are a bit weird. They look really odd going on, like they are not covering and sort of gel like, but they dry to quite a nice finish. I'm still struggling to use them though.

VMC mostly for me now as GW switched from the old formula. Nothing wrong with the new ones but VMC gives better value and thus I'm switching.

@Trevor: Black or white label? Supposedly they've updated the formula.

For metals I use Vallejo air metals for the last bright hightlights but I don't like the darker shades. Still using Boltgun for that but considering alternatives when it needs replacement.
    Last edited by Avelorn; 10-04-2013 at 09:31 AM.