Sparxius WIP's

Thread: Sparxius WIP's

Newbie, please be gentle Sparxius's Avatar

Default Sparxius WIP's

Hello all,

I've been coming to CoolMiniorNot for a few years now and decided to start posting my work for feedback.

In the past i have done some 40k. But the paintjob is so bad i'm not gonna show them. I stopped doing it because it became expensive and i was a student at the time. After a few years I started to play Dungeon and Dragons with some friends and at some point we wanted our characters on the table. So they asked me to make them, and thats how i started again.

My paint jobs aren't that great but i want to improve. I don't like to buy a miniature and just paint it, exept if i really like it. So most of my time i'm making a conversions. So a lot of GS work wich i also want to improve.

Thats a short introduction. I'll be posting a few pictures later to show some of my work i'm working on right now.

Welcome to the forums. If you're looking to improve this sort of thread is a great way to get feedback, tips, and advice. I hope to see some pictures of your work soon!

Oke so didn't have time yesterday to post some pics, so ill do it now:

Here is my monk for dungeons and dragons.
    The body model is used from a House shyeel mage from Privateer Press. Head and Arms are from a Dark Eldar Scourge. I hope you can see some detail in the staff weapon.
    Name:  FlowingMonk.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  409.2 KBName:  FlowingMonk2.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  826.9 KBName:  FlowingMonk3.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  789.3 KB

Oke, so i need some help. I'm working on a base for an awesome model. I want it to look like a ruin, old and overgrown. Can someone give me some tips?
    Name:  ArtificerBase1.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  670.9 KB
    This is the base.

Here's something I put together a little while ago. A lot of this is done with plaster. You can pour plaster in a thin layer onto some flat dish, let it dry, and then cut out tiles using a hobby knife. You can carve cracks into them, break them up to form rubble, etc. For the columns I took a smoothie straw (just a thick straw), plugged up the end and filled it with plaster too. You can peal the straw away and then break the plaster. For vines, roots, etc you can take plant material. The little 'hairs' off the outside of a coconut are great. Roots from a bush or other plant can work. The rest is cork, sand, baking soda for texture and some twigs to make the trees.

I did a post in my thread with some more details on base building and the materials. It might be helpful to take a quick look
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...l=1#post705789

Massive Voodoo is also a great site for base building tutorials (as well as a lot of other tutorials)

@Bailey03: Thanks for the tip, i'll look into the plaster and see what i can build with it. I really like your bases.

Oke, so I've been working on the Display Base for my D&D Characters. First time making one, so a few things went wrong .

For the Materials i went to our Handyman store and bought some wood.
    Name:  Wood.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  114.8 KB
    Next cutting it the right size. My display was gonna be 15cm by 25cm. I drew the lines on my woodenboard and i started sawing it with the my sawing machine... Wrong move. The sawing machine isn't really accurate, so it went off the lines allot... Good thing I asked my dad for some help and we grinned it straight. Next up came the sawing of the boarders with a 45 degree angle, I was prepared for this and bought a saw holder.
    Name:  Saw.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  120.3 KB
    The only thing you need to keep track of is to switch to opposite angles or else you get this...
    Name:  Wrong.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  77.2 KB
    Oke, after I got everything sawed and grinned, I glued it together. Now everything is dry and this is the result.
    Name:  DisplayBase.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  129.1 KB
    Not bad for a first timer. Next up is too coat it too make it look darker and shinier.

Sorry for my English. If I keep posting maby it will get better
    Last edited by Sparxius; 10-15-2013 at 02:39 PM.

I haven't posted much because right now i'm on vacation.
    Sitting at a bar with wifi so i can post this and chat with friends xD.

I'll be posting new stuff when i get back home.

Big update, thanks to work i haven't been doing as much as i wanted. So here the update:

What i got right now is this:
    Name:  progress2.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  617.3 KB

I made the Stones out of plaster. The Wall still needs to be worked on. The stones infront are done. Exept for the place where there are no stones, Roots will be coming there and i still need to destroy some stones and see what feels right.

These are the places for the other characters.
    Name:  progress.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  498.0 KB
    Name:  Xanian.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  418.8 KB
    The tree will be in the corner. Not where i put the trunk next to the character.

If you have a question just ask i'll try to answer.

Looks like the base is coming along.. Have you given any thought about whethering the stones? Dry pigments might be the way to go. I have used a few of them and like the finished results. For this size of a piece, I would think that Earth Pigments, since they come in bigger jars than the Secret Weapon stuff.. and it's basically the same stuff from my understanding.

Looking forward to more pictures.

Khonner

Srry for not reacting sooner, Works been crazy with all the holidays and now that its almost Christmas, its been work-sleep and work again the next day.

@Khonner: The stones on the ground are gonna be smooth. Like this image which i'm using for reference. Most of the walls will be covert in moss, roots and vines. so i don't know if i'm gonna be needing pigments.
    Name:  Ta-Prohm-temple-ruins-Siem-Reap.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  101.2 KB

I'll be posting some more pics soon of the base and the characters.

Sparxius

I did a bunch of moss and lichen tests a while ago for my fianna and skull. It's in wip thread. Hopefully all my testing will save you some time Pigment will help stain the walls a bit too. Especially greens and purples.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

https://linktr.ee/AlmostPerftec

@Zab: Thx for the Tip. Love your work and the moss and lichen was really helpfull. I'm gonna try and use it .

Can someone explain to me the purpose of Pigments and where i could get my hands on it or make it. Because i think, i'm thinking of something else.

Sparxius

No prob. Pigments are basically dry powders that can be applied to the surface. Most companies call them weathering powders and sell them in tiny amounts. Check out some of Kathryn Loch's work, WIP and tutorials. She recommended earthpigments.com to me and they can send you a ton of the stuff compared to other companies if you plan on using them quite bit. I'll warn you, once use get the hang of them you want to use them everywhere

Alright so a side project of mine, so i don't go mad with all the work on the display base.

I made Azazel from the X-Men. I was in love with the model of Privateers Press and just had to convert it to Azazel.
    Name:  35005_GarrythBladeofRetribution_WEB.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  94.1 KBName:  DSC_0423.JPG
Views: 201
Size:  284.9 KBName:  DSC_0425.JPG
Views: 207
Size:  300.7 KB

I think the model is done at this point. I'm just not sure the base is ready.
    Name:  DSC_0426.JPG
Views: 196
Size:  244.1 KB
    I made a marble floor with a easy pattern in it so i can make a display around it. I put a broken pillar on the end so that at least it has something on it. I'm not into clean bases .
    What do you guys think? Should i put more on it so i can balance the pillar out or just leave it and start painting?
    And does anyone have a great idea to paint marble? Because i was thinking of something like this:
    Name:  BlackMarble.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  79.1 KB

Thanks in advance.

Sparxius

Marble's tricky, since the veins are actually IN the stone. There's a few tutorials floating around on how to attempt it, if you so choose.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

I use this method, its quick and easy:

http://youtu.be/67u3iA145_Q

You can just use a brush to paint it on if you don't want to spray. Instead of patting like he does scrunch it for strong seam lines.

Nice conversion and the base is great, just a little bit of fine sand in places to give it more scale and it will be perfect.

In the past for marble I've pointed people to this tutorial: http://chestofcolors.com/how-to-paint-marble-bases/

As you want a darker colour you'll probably have to play around quite a lot but it may serve as a good jumping off point for you.

Looking good so far

Hey guys,

Happy new year!!

I've been experimenting with the marble and i'll try to post some pics of it next time.
    Thanks for the tips Quiarcus and Wombat85. Looked into them both.
    @Zab: Thanks for the tip, it looks great with fine sand. I'll be posting a pic next time.