Question about the "starts with (equipment) skill.

Thread: Question about the "starts with (equipment) skill.

Default Question about the "starts with (equipment) skill.

I had a question about this skill, I'm creating a friend and after discovering that dogs are equipment decided to make him start with his dog. Is this legit? Can he have Starts with a: (insert dog name here) and if so, what's the point If all survivors have the option to start with a dog anyway? would it just be redundant? Thanks for the input.

I would take it a step further and create a custom dog as well. Since survivors can start with a dog of their choice, having a starts with ability for a dog seems like a wasted ability unless there is a special dog for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
    I would take it a step further and create a custom dog as well. Since survivors can start with a dog of their choice, having a starts with ability for a dog seems like a wasted ability unless there is a special dog for it.
    Agreed and that was part of the plan. But is it still a wasted starting ability?

I thought you could choose to have everyone start with a dog, but you could also just shuffle them into the item deck. If that's the case, then you could make it that nobody else starts with a dog when playing with this character. Another option would be to make this dog quite a bit better than the other dogs. That way, it would essentially be a starting dog AND a starting ability rolled into one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotfoot View Post
    Agreed and that was part of the plan. But is it still a wasted starting ability?
    I don't think it is wasted if it is a custom dog. If it is just one of the standard dogs, I think it is. Why play as that character when I could play as another character with a better starting ability and still start with a dog?

Our plan was to only have characters start with a dog if their character had "starts with a dog" on their custom character. Otherwise we were treating dogs as "equipment" found while searching. Additionally, we house ruled that the German Shepherd might be found in the cop cars!

I like that vargz, I definitely planned on nerfing the whole anyone may start with a pooch idea but the idea of a character ability is more appealing especially given some of the benefits of the dogs
    JokerOx? Ox? Stupid fat fingers and the keyboard it's supposed to be Oz!