Display Base

Thread: Display Base

Newbie, please be gentle Sparxius's Avatar

Default Display Base

Hello all,

I play Dungeons and Dragons and we use mini's for the combat system. Most of the time when we're done they go on my shelf and nothing happens to them anymore. So for this campaign i wanted the mini's to go on a display base when we are done.
    But the problem is, I've never made one. Can someone help me out.
    I've been looking on the internet for some awesome ruins because we are dungeoneers in this campaign and i want to show that in the display base.
    Name:  ta-prohm.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  54.6 KB
    I really like this ruin. Love how the Tree comes out in the middel.
    Can somebody guide me with this project?

Regards Sparxius

For the tree: Looks like you could build a wire armature with some, um, wire and then use a modelling clay like apoxie sculpt to build up the organic tree trunks around it. Never done it myself, but seen plenty of examples here in peoples wip threads.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

If you want to make a kind of diorama and be able to use a piece of foamcore or balsa wood and cut out squares slightly larger than the base, so you can take them in and out. I did this on my Cyanur display piece years ago. Others have done similar things, like these Termis by Mr Dracorus or a lot of the best squad/ command in the Golden Daemons will do this to be more presentable.

Now let's talk materials. If you want a dungeon/ ruins feel, Hirst Arts makes molds you can pour plaster into. You can also do resin for stability, but I like the fact you can chip the plaster like real stone. Many people also like to use a product called BalsaFoam but I have yet to pick some up because of expense and the fact the chemicals rust tools like no one's business. The "harder" epoxy putties like Milliput, Aves, and magic sculpt are also good for angular surfaces since you can sand them.

Really it's just a matter of finding exactly what you want. I would also "stage" the minis ahead of time so it looks like there is a kind of interaction. But also make sure that the elf ranger isn't aiming directly at the head of the dwarf.. or maybe that works for you. Like I say, it's all up to you!
    Hope this helps and good luck in your endeavors!

Newbie, please be gentle Sparxius's Avatar

Totaly forgot about this threat, my bad.

I made some progress and posted it on my WIP thread.
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...Sparxius-WIP-s

Right now i'm on vacation so not much to post.